• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Guy Question How do I know which Books are Worth Grading and Cost Involved
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Ok. I have a few Spawn #1-11 Superman Dies Black Bag Sealed and TUROCK #1 and a Few Other 1st Editions. How do get an idea of what is worth submitting and whatnthe actual cost would be go get it graded.  I see upto 1k what if its over that value. All of these have never been read.  Let me know. Truly appreciate the insight

If it's for your own use,  your personal collection, then it's up to your judgement as to whether or not to have a comic graded.  If it's to sell, that becomes an economic consideration.  You have to do some research, and then do the math.

Use EBay to see what the comics are selling for graded vs. raw.  Use sources like GoCollect and mycomicshop to get a additional input.  Read up on how to assess a grade for the comics you have, to know if your comics will meet the desired grading standards.

If you have any comics that are worth over $1,000, you have to use higher services such as Express or Walk Through.  Check out the Services and Fees page here: https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc-grading/

Definitely heed every word that @Lightning55 helpfully provided, and also check out the link from @theCapraAegagrus 

After you've done that, if you still feel like you want to sub your books, try posting a couple of them over in the Please Grade My forum, as you may be surprised by what a truly Near Mint book looks like, and the differences in a 9.4 vs 9.8. "Never been read" doesn't really mean anything in regards to grading, because books are handled several times over before they've ever hit the stands, and therefore can sustain damage before they're ever purchased, much less read. Like Lightning said, if it's for your own personal use, then slab whatever you like. But if you're slabbing for the sake of value/reselling, most of these books are 9.8 or bust, meaning that if they're under 9.8, they're likely not worth the cost of grading. Good luck and have fun!

25 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Definitely heed every word that @Lightning55 helpfully provided, and also check out the link from @theCapraAegagrus 

After you've done that, if you still feel like you want to sub your books, try posting a couple of them over in the Please Grade My forum, as you may be surprised by what a truly Near Mint book looks like, and the differences in a 9.4 vs 9.8. "Never been read" doesn't really mean anything in regards to grading, because books are handled several times over before they've ever hit the stands, and therefore can sustain damage before they're ever purchased, much less read. Like Lightning said, if it's for your own personal use, then slab whatever you like. But if you're slabbing for the sake of value/reselling, most of these books are 9.8 or bust, meaning that if they're under 9.8, they're likely not worth the cost of grading. Good luck and have fun!

But, but.. my books have never been read ! 

On 8/30/2020 at 9:31 AM, Capricho427 said:

Ok. I have a few Spawn #1-11 Superman Dies Black Bag Sealed and TUROCK #1 and a Few Other 1st Editions. How do get an idea of what is worth submitting and what the actual cost would be go get it graded.  I see upto 1k what if its over that value. All of these have never been read.  Let me know. Truly appreciate the insight

take a look at SOLD results on eBay (remember it doesnt matter what an asking price is, it matters what a SOLD price is). 
also look at the pictures of the books on ebay. Do they look nicer than yours? not as nice? condition matters a lot, ESPECIALLY with modern books like yours (remember in the world of modern comics (and yes the 90s is modern) lots of people were saving their comics, so the ones that have the most value are the ones in perfect condition. A VeryFine-NearMint copy of Spawn #1 (which looks pretty great at a glance) is worth 10% of a truly NM/Mint copy of Spawn #1 

Also remember if you are looking at CGC sold prices, there is a baked in cost for the grading/slabbing process. so a mint raw copy will sell for less than a mint CGC 9.8 copy due to the $35-50 in grading/slabbing costs.