• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazon's JACK REACHER show (2022)
7 7

237 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2023 at 11:16 AM, The Brain said:

What would you change/like to see in reacher???

I think thats covered - look at the vid link.

THAT'S Reacher - not some toe-to-toe brawler.

Get back to what made the books so popular - and for goodness sake - get Neagley a decent script!

On 12/23/2023 at 4:35 PM, Beige said:

I think thats covered - look at the vid link.

THAT'S Reacher - not some toe-to-toe brawler.

Get back to what made the books so popular - and for goodness sake - get Neagley a decent script!

Thanks, but the question was address to 

Aman619.

what would I change?  not my job!  But for starters, Beige nails one big thing.  Though that scene was just Reacher, alone, in a hopelessly outnumbered situation, who then takes charge with a single burst of action -- Season 2 has already featured many brawls already where it's Reacher plus 4 against a mob.  Of course they will win, even though miraculously, his tough (but much more ordinary) partners also kick serious butt..  which is a stretch... and makes these scenes longer and less effective.

And a basic flaw in both seasons is that they take up ten hours to tell a story thats less than 2 hours as a feature film.  And they've telegraphed the end!

The opening scene from Ep 1 takes a bit less than 3 minutes and is absolute Reacher perfection.  Everything about it embodies everything about Reacher.  Everything they wrote after that scene does not.  The supporting characters in that scene - the shop gal, the victim, the victim's son, the bad guy - all lean into who Reacher is and how he operates in the world.  The writers know how to deliver peak Reacher - if they want to.  

They've got lightning in a bottle with Ritchson and appear determined to muck it up.  Keep it simple - he's a simple simple man, that's the appeal - solitary, strong, violent, loyal, honorable, intelligent but non verbal - and the essence of the Reacher story is he stumbles on a thread end and pulls on it as the Alpha Protector, unflinchingly follows where it leads.  Like the opening in Ep 1.

And I don't want to see Reacher run.  Tom Cruise runs.  Reacher.  Doesn't.  Run.  If you get this, you'll get him.

good point about the running.  But did Cruise run?  I thought he was great!  Now, having read age books I see he wasn't visually perfect, or close to the mental picture every rider created in their head.  But as Ive posted here a lot on the subject:  Cruise's Reacher was a small, tightly wound MF who could think on his feet and take out the bad guys every time.  Not knowing he was supposed to be 6'5" and 250, Cruise was just fine for me. Probably my favorite role of his.  (I havent seen more than parts of the MI films.)

On 12/25/2023 at 1:57 AM, Aman619 said:

good point about the running.  But did Cruise run?  I thought he was great!  Now, having read age books I see he wasn't visually perfect, or close to the mental picture every rider created in their head.  But as Ive posted here a lot on the subject:  Cruise's Reacher was a small, tightly wound MF who could think on his feet and take out the bad guys every time.  Not knowing he was supposed to be 6'5" and 250, Cruise was just fine for me. Probably my favorite role of his.  (I havent seen more than parts of the MI films.)

Another *huge* issue with the Tom Cruise Reacher is that Reacher doesn't drive.

And then the trailer for the first film puts him behind the wheel of a car as a major setpiece.

Don't get me wrong - both Cruise films were better than they had any right to be (including the resolution to that car chase), but Cruise wasn't the character from the books.

Ritchson fits *far* better.

I hope he gets a Batman role, or Superman role - or whatever major comic book role is next in the cards...and then knocks it out of the park.

On 1/6/2024 at 6:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

Guy Russo 

:eek:

Now is Swan dead or not? 

Yeah so spoilers for those who haven't watched episode 7.......

Spoiler

I was really surprised that Dixon was legitimate, I thought they were hinting hard at her being a traitor

I'm really wondering how this show will end.  I still think they'll be some big twist.  I've really enjoyed this season.  This to me is still the best thing out right now, I'm excited for next weeks episode (the last one this season), but sad for the wait that we'll have.  Hopefully it won't be a huge wait time for season 3, I know they're already filming it.