• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazon's JACK REACHER show (2022)
7 7

237 posts in this topic

I was kinda disappointed with these 3 episodes. Felt a bit blah and formulaic so far.  Also, I read all the books and found Bad Luck and Trouble to be one of the best reads, and also had the most in it for a TV adaptation.  But part of this was its setting in Hollywood CA... not in and around NYC.  It used many iconic LA locations.  I wonder why they switched it...   I enjoyed Season 1 (Killing Floor) more at this point, and even watched it a second time and it held up.  Oh well, lets see how it goes from here on out.

On 12/16/2023 at 9:57 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Yep, really enjoying this season so far.  Highly recommended, Alan Ritchson has a gravitas that very few actors can bring to the screen.  And the producing, directing, and writing are all working in concert.

Rickson is good, and sure looks the part, all 250 pounds and 6 ft 5.  But I find him a bit "soft" and lacking the intensity that too short Tom Cruise brought to the character.  I think BECAUSE he looks like a giant or a bouncer, like the big boys he takes apart all the time.

1. Episode 1, "ATM": Dec 15
  2. Episode 2, "What Happens in Atlantic City": Dec. 15
  3. Episode 3, "Picture Says a Thousand Words": Dec. 15
  4. Episode 4, "A Night at the Symphony": Dec. 22
  5. Episode 5, "Burial": Dec. 29
  6. Episode 6, "New York's Finest": Jan. 5
  7. Episode 7, "The Man Goes Through": Jan. 12
  8. Episode 8, "Fly Boy": Jan. 19

On 12/17/2023 at 4:49 PM, Aman619 said:

I was kinda disappointed with these 3 episodes. Felt a bit blah and formulaic so far.  Also, I read all the books and found Bad Luck and Trouble to be one of the best reads, and also had the most in it for a TV adaptation.  But part of this was its setting in Hollywood CA... not in and around NYC.  It used many iconic LA locations.  I wonder why they switched it...   I enjoyed Season 1 (Killing Floor) more at this point, and even watched it a second time and it held up.  Oh well, lets see how it goes from here on out.

Agreed.

I have no idea why Lee Childs greenlit this season.

Neagley is reduced to a simpering sidekick - I have no idea why they did this - Neagley in print was a master detective, with combat skills matching Reacher. I don't recognise her in season 2 at all, and thats a shame.

Dixon - who was the financial MP in the 1/10 books now gets headbutted , gets up, gets hit again, and beats hired muscle?

And Reacher.... Reacher NEVER got into it with someone. He struck first, struck hard and that was that. The scenes of him going toe to toe with street goons is absolutely laughable to anyone who has read Childs books.

THIS is Reacher!

Why are all the 1/10 guys now officers?

They were mostly all Sergeants - "The Sgt network" was a trope used in all Reacher flashback books.

I agree with @Aman619 - this is so poor compared to the book -  Bad Luck and Trouble is a great read, but is absolutely ripped to pieces and remade in this season - and not for the better.

For me, this is another "Expanse" - Careys masterpiece.

If you read the books, the shows are so inferior  that's it's a painful watch (I can't watch so I turned off after cringing at Neagley's dialog) but if you haven't, it's an OK show.

It's a shame as Ritchson is physically spot on - but he's been completely reduced in Season 2 and is now, just another 'ex-cop' not the character bought to life in over 20 worldwide smash hit books.

Again - why Lee Childs signed off on these changes is a mystery. He certainly doesn't need the money.

Edited by Beige

On 12/21/2023 at 10:08 PM, The Brain said:

Just finished watching episode 4.

BEST ONE SO FAR!!!!!

Agreed. I had a great time learning more about the team's past. And how Reacher's selectivity in building out the MP special investigators unit.

And seeing Oscar Finlay back again kept a good connection to Season One.

:headbang:

I feel a little of the John Wick feeling.  The first one was about some guy we know nothing about.  And turns into a don’t mess with the devil with insane killing skills etc.  and a secret society to boot   But each sequel goes so much wider and unbelievable, as he walks through 100s of assassins.  Literally..  Reacher 1 was similar, who is this guy? And we see him be the master of each situation as he solved the crime/mystery.

but Season 2 that’s no longer the focus, like Wick.  It’s just set him up and let him beat everyone up.  And as was posted, his whole crew is just as tough?  I saw the 2 Cruise movies and then the series and then read all the books. So he’s no longer a mystery to me.  But the books worked… so far this season is just interesting but not compelling. 
‘I know they can’t recreate an already introduced “nobody”,  but that’s not the only problem watching season 2 for me.