• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 7 directed by Christopher McQuarrie (2021)
1 1

173 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2023 at 9:40 AM, rjrjr said:

I saw the movie last night and it was good. None of the action sequences were new but they were well done. They repeated the mission and stakes so many times, I felt they were talking down to the audience by the last one just before the climax. It was almost laughable how many times and this could be turned into a drinking game. Show, do not tell.

As an action movie, I would give it 9/10. Where it failed for me was as a MI movie. For that I will give it a 7/10. The main villain did not click with me. One death was done poorly and one long chase scene was poorly edited.

I will elaborate more once people have time to see it. Definitely worth seeing but it does not live up to the hype.

I would rank this #4 after MI 4-6. Fallout is still my favorite.

This is were I was at after the prescreen, yes it is AWESOME! Is it NEW? not really, but rather than sound grumpy lol it was still a 9/10 for sure ^^

It is to the point were, in short, you need to "care" about the characters to have any involvement with the film. I hadn't seen one since like #5 cause for #6 I didn't show up early enough to get in to the prescreen, and yet, it has its merits! :shy: 

On 7/15/2023 at 8:49 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is were I was at after the prescreen, yes it is AWESOME! Is it NEW? not really, but rather than sound grumpy lol it was still a 9/10 for sure ^^

It is to the point were, in short, you need to "care" about the characters to have any involvement with the film. I hadn't seen one since like #5 cause for #6 I didn't show up early enough to get in to the prescreen, and yet, it has its merits! :shy: 

This brings up another thought I was having. Usually, when a movie from a series comes out, I could watch the earlier movies on Netflix or Amazon Prime for free. None of the MI movies are on either service for free.  I know it is on Paramount+, which, unfortunately for Paramount, does not have nearly the subscriber numbers of the bigger streaming services. I do not subscribe to that service. I wonder if that factors into casual viewers going to see a movie like this.

On 7/16/2023 at 1:55 PM, Bosco685 said:

Cruise is 61 so definitely not young but he still pulls off a convincing action hero whereas Ford is 81 and just can't pull it off any longer (kudos to him for looking so good at 81).  I've not seen MI but I may go see it this week if things work out. 

Saw it today. It's an impressive movie and we enjoyed it but, as others have said,  it didn't have the same feel as the previous MI films. To me, it's the weakest in the franchise or closely tied with MI2. Maybe part two will change my mind.

Edited by I like pie

Yeah.

Finishing week 1 domestically behind week 1 of Dial of Destiny = not a good look.

But but...it had a higher international take, an A CinemaScore, and Tom Cruise movies have legs, etc.

Doesn't change that the domestic take was well under expectations.

And costing $290+ million (before marketing) = it's got a lot of ground to make up.

If this holds for the weekend, this movie will have earned $15 million less on its second weekend than the previous MI movie Fallout domestically.  The good news is this is the standard 60-65% drop that would be expected for a movie with a big opening weekend and not something worse due to Barbenheimer.  This year has been brutal to franchise movies.

Edited by rjrjr

I finally saw this last night in 4D.  I think my back is still in spasms from the experience.  It was a very good summer blockbuster with very cool stunts.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to Part 2!

How old is Tom Cruise again?

On 7/27/2023 at 12:02 PM, piper said:

I finally saw this last night in 4D.  I think my back is still in spasms from the experience.  It was a very good summer blockbuster with very cool stunts.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to Part 2!

How old is Tom Cruise again?