• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In Praise of Single Pages
6 6

230 posts in this topic

Here is a page I found in a stack of coverless that wanted to share because it has a VERY interesting feature....

"Snappy" was a one page cartoon feature found in early Crack Comics.  There's nothing super special about the feature BUT....

This particular page I found has the artist's info printed on some newsprint and glued to the back of this Snappy page.

I imagine it was the way the artist Arthur Beeman got work?  He would send single finished printed pages of his work around to different publishing houses?

Kind of a cool piece of comic history. It's from Crack Comics 18

Has anyone seem anything like this before?

IMG_3502.jpeg

IMG_3503.jpeg

IMG_3501.jpeg

RenderedImage.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

On 10/18/2022 at 2:45 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Considering it's what, 1/8th of the entire page that seems solid.

It's crazy. Overpriced IMO, the majority of bidders stopped at around $300 and it was two guys who drove it up the rest of the way.

Remember decades ago one company thought to introduce a product that was a clear display which included dozens of tiny pieces from the most valuable key comics ever (pieces of Action 1, AF15, Batman 1, Cap1 etc basically like a comic version of the "Mini Museum" displays you can still buy today) and they were mocked and laughed off the internet without getting it funded...stuff like this makes me think they would have sold out had they waited to release it in these bonkers times.

On 10/18/2022 at 9:09 PM, gadzukes said:

I agree.  Maybe if it was the cover, but still.  The seller is smiling big time.

Well c'mon now, the cover would have went for many thousands even in poor shape. That particular splash page in really nice condition would have probably hit around 5k these days. 

On 10/16/2022 at 11:45 AM, gadzukes said:

Here is a page I found in a stack of coverless that wanted to share because it has a VERY interesting feature....

"Snappy" was a one page cartoon feature found in early Crack Comics.  There's nothing super special about the feature BUT....

This particular page I found has the artist's info printed on some newsprint and glued to the back of this Snappy page.

I imagine it was the way the artist Arthur Beeman got work?  He would send single finished printed pages of his work around to different publishing houses?

Kind of a cool piece of comic history. It's from Crack Comics 18

Has anyone seem anything like this before?

IMG_3502.jpeg

IMG_3503.jpeg

RenderedImage.jpeg

I thought Beeman was another pseudonym for Art Pinajian who drew Madam Fatal but he lived on Long Island, I think.

crack 18 splashed.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I bought a brick from the original Yankee Stadium when it was torn down as a gift to my father-in-law - and he really enjoys it. I think there’s a lot of people out there that are good with owning a little torn off piece of history.

Same thing with those piece of jersey fabric in card collecting circles. Our population keeps growing at a rate that there won’t be enough rare collectible items in certain categories as the years go by. If Batman is still popular 50 years from now, I’d wager this little corner of a page will be quite valuable.

On 12/29/2022 at 9:13 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Please tell me CGC didn’t put that page in backwards 

Most likely by request. Many people on the single pages group in Facebook ask them to reverse the page in the slab if it would put the better / more significant art at the front for display (as sometimes the page might have ads on the front but all the comic art on the back)