• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulu's PREDATOR: PREY directed by Dan Trachtenberg (2022)
5 5

372 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2022 at 6:43 PM, The Meta said:

Anyone give consideration as to why Ghost chose Harrington as his trophy?

I think Savage picked Dutch through process of elimination. Having killed 8 berets already, plus numerous drug cartel guys, he was basically just picking people off one by one and Dutch just happened to be in spots that made him more difficult as a target of opportunity compared to the others

As for Harrington, Ghost ran into him fairly early and could have taken him down, but on the rooftop where he killed the gangsters, Harrington basically spotted him bang to rights. I think Ghost was impressed by his perception and thats when he began to stalk Harrington 

Ghost saw Harrington pursuing all the bad guys by himself and single handedly.  

That casued him to ID harington as the apex Predator of that "jungle".  

By the way, was it ever confirmed that that was a xenomorph skull on the ship at the end of that movie?

Such a great sequel.

-J.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:33 PM, Jaydogrules said:

By the way, was it ever confirmed that that was a xenomorph skull on the ship at the end of that movie?

Such a great sequel.

-J.

I paused that part of the movie sevral times and it was. Whether there is an "official" statement about it, I don't know

On 8/15/2022 at 8:35 PM, The Meta said:

I paused that part of the movie sevral times and it was. Whether there is an "official" statement about it, I don't know

I remember the first AvP comic book series had already been published. It was a big deal and a good read. I always thought the inclusion of the Alien skull in Predator 2 was a nod to our fandom. It was a great moment at the end of a fun film.

Also, Stan Winston designed both creatures.

Edited by grendelbo

On 8/15/2022 at 7:35 PM, The Meta said:

I thought so.  

That's why I put AvP ahead of Prey.  When that movie was first announced and it came out it was a very big deal.  Was it perfect ? No.  But it was a fan's wet dream.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 8/15/2022 at 9:43 PM, The Meta said:

I think Savage picked Dutch through process of elimination. Having killed 8 berets already, plus numerous drug cartel guys, he was basically just picking people off one by one and Dutch just happened to be in spots that made him more difficult as a target of opportunity compared to the others

This. There was a huge amount of luck that Dutch just ended up being one of the last ones to live, had the order of engagement changed even slightly there would have been no reason for Dutch to survive the fate others experienced. People talk as if Dutch got to where he was thanks to him being the best, but omit the giant amount of situational luck he had to NOT be in the wrong place at the wrong time :D

We also have to remember Savage was still beating the ever loving tar out of Dutch at the end and decided to DISARM himself for the final fight in order to get SOME sort of challenge from it (it wasn't just only mutual respect between hunters)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 8/16/2022 at 4:55 AM, The Meta said:

Too bad the movie was hot garbage

Disagree.  AvP had a top notch pedigree behind the camera , directed by Paul WS Anderson and co-written by the original writer(s) of Alien, and of course having Lance Henrikson in it makes it a watch.  And the lead female was strong, capable, and was able to survive in a realistic, believable way without being a ridiculous Mary Sue.

Back to Predator 2, having now re-watched all these movies, it would seem that there is a call back /reference in every subsequent movie to that first sequel, with the most direct ones being in The Predator (Jake Busey playing the son of the chatacter Gary Busey played in #2, the

gun

in Prey, the direct reference to the incidents in 1997, in Predators, and the Xenomorph skull which AvP and AvPR played into. ) Good stuff.  All the movies weren't great but the attempt at continuity is something to appreciate.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 8/16/2022 at 1:54 PM, Jaydogrules said:

AvP had a top notch pedigree behind the camera , directed by Paul WS Anderson

giphy-2.gif.a1a5f593a88979685df9e5fb88fad9d4.gif

Make no mistake I love Paul WS Anderson and his films, but I have never heard him referred to as being a top notch pedigree even by his most fervent fans :D 

Davis recently commented on the success of Prey (via Variety) and how it has opened up the future of the franchise to infinite possibilities. From a Prey 2 to everything from an origin story, another AVP, a new modern-day tale, or "something somewhere in between," Davis says the character could appear in various time periods moving forward. Read Davis' full comment on where the franchise may go after Prey:

“Well, maybe there’s an origin origin story. Right? Maybe there’s another ‘Alien vs. Predator’ story in a different situation. And maybe there’s a new modern-day version. And maybe there’s something somewhere in between. I think this character can show up throughout history.”

On 8/15/2022 at 9:33 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Such a great sequel.

-J.

Are you talking about Danny Glover's Harrigan?

On 8/16/2022 at 8:56 AM, Sauce Dog said:

This. There was a huge amount of luck that Dutch just ended up being one of the last ones to live, had the order of engagement changed even slightly there would have been no reason for Dutch to survive the fate others experienced. People talk as if Dutch got to where he was thanks to him being the best, but omit the giant amount of situational luck he had to NOT be in the wrong place at the wrong time :D

We also have to remember Savage was still beating the ever loving tar out of Dutch at the end and decided to DISARM himself for the final fight in order to get SOME sort of challenge from it (it wasn't just only mutual respect between hunters)

When they set the trap after Blaine is killed, and Dutch walks across it with his AR15, he could have gotten taken out there as he was armed, but the Predator wanted Blaine's body and snuck up behind him. 

On 8/16/2022 at 10:12 PM, Sauce Dog said:

giphy-2.gif.a1a5f593a88979685df9e5fb88fad9d4.gif

Make no mistake I love Paul WS Anderson and his films, but I have never heard him referred to as being a top notch pedigree even by his most fervent fans :D 

The only good flick he’s ever directed was Event Horizon. I know he has a following for his Resident Evil run but I wasn’t a fan.

On 8/19/2022 at 1:10 PM, ▫️ said:

The only good flick he’s ever directed was Event Horizon. I know he has a following for his Resident Evil run but I wasn’t a fan.

Event Horizon was one of those ground breaking movies, something that hadn't really been done before

The Resident Evil movies were fun, and downright terrible in places. I had to watch them all, I'll give him that. Milla carried that franchise, and she isn't a very good actor. 

On 8/19/2022 at 1:10 PM, ▫️ said:

I agree, but will also not stand for such flagrant Mortal Kombat eraser :D  Him making the first decent video game adaptation, as his very first movie, is impressive enough to get kudos forever.

I also hate that RE series and have already core dumped that memory from my brain long ago.