• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulu's PREDATOR: PREY directed by Dan Trachtenberg (2022)
5 5

372 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2022 at 4:44 PM, Mmanick said:

Diverse cast ? The first one was about as diverse as it gets. Look at the cast. They also had real military vets. 

Yeah that whole box checking thing has become an absolute joke. These guys care more about representation then making actual good movies. Case in point going to John wick director not being able to land blade or even something with the falcon, punisher would have been awesome but because he doesn't box check he can't do it.

I gave up with 30 mins left

I dunno what film some of you were watching.

Spoilers

Spoiler

The Predator that takes the yellow short-bus to hunting school, and still gets held back 25 years, flies across the galaxy to Earth in 1790.

There armed with:

Super-speed

Super-strength

High-tech weaponry

Invisibility cloaking

Laser targeting

Infra-red vision

High-tech meds

And enough adamantium pointy things to make Wolverine jealous kills - a wolf, a bear and some mangy French trapper/hunters who are armed with single shot muskets.

Oh did I mention the special shield that stops said balls and fires them back. Or the killer mesh nets, or the spinning seek and destroy bombs etc etc etc.

Honestly, it's like the proper Predators were off killing things that at least had the internal combustion engine, while Private Pile here gets, well, gets a pretty easy days work (except for I assume the obvious ending - hence proving this particular Predator is just bloody hopeless)

A special hat-tip to our heroine, who up until the hour mark had only managed to kill a few rabbits - then suddenly beat 5 burly armed hunter/trappers (yes 5) in hand-to-hand combat.

I was bored so turned off - which is the worst thing to say about an action movie

2/10 purely because of the animal CGI and the use and recognition of the Comanche language and way of life.

On 8/7/2022 at 11:14 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

What about the dog?  Did you like the dog at least???

***Or the brother...he was a very good character

I liked the dog.

On 8/7/2022 at 11:14 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

What about the dog?  Did you like the dog at least???

***Or the brother...he was a very good character

Your job isn't pitching this movie to a nay sayer.

I did like  the brother character, skilled, and some great lines.   It was a refreshing portrayal of a male supporting character.

On 8/6/2022 at 9:30 PM, Microchip said:

Your job isn't pitching this movie to a nay sayer.

I did like  the brother character, skilled, and some great lines.   It was a refreshing portrayal of a male supporting character.

Even more impressive once you learn this was the actors first role ever. He nailed it.

On 8/7/2022 at 3:01 AM, WolverineX said:

Well I wasn't talking in reference to the original movie. I was just talking about Marvel's push in general

Sorry, I don’t support the diversity push. I support the best actor for the role. Or best man or woman for the job. Diversity should come naturally via those requisites.

Very much enjoyed it.  One of the few recent movies that I did not hit pause, get up and do something else and go back to watching it.

Kept me engaged for the duration of the movie. 

I liked the symbolism of prey thrown around the movie, from European colonization to the hunter becoming the hunted in many cases. 

To each their own, but I liked it a lot. 

The first two films of the series are still better, IMO. 

Nice scenery and immersion into the time period.

Ant < Rat < Rattlesnake < Predator.

Also, rabbits don't run straight.

On 8/7/2022 at 7:48 AM, Buzzetta said:

Maybe I need to revisit the second one.  I was never much a fan of it. Maybe when it came out I was let down too much that Arnold didn’t return. 

I wasn‘t a fan of the second one when it came out.  I clearly remember that. However it has grown on me and I have more appreciation for it now. But I would watch Prey again before Predator 2. Even though the creature design is not a big departure from the previous, its my favorite. And the actors movements are great. 

On 8/6/2022 at 10:48 PM, Buzzetta said:

Maybe I need to revisit the second one.  I was never much a fan of it. Maybe when it came out I was let down too much that Arnold didn’t return. 

Predator 2

Insane and action-packed opener.

New weapons.

Story inspired by the first Predator Dark Horse series.

Multiple Predators.

Alien Easter Egg

Connection to the first film (mention) and to past hunts (the flintlock pistol).

The old lady with the broom.

And Bill Paxton.

On 8/7/2022 at 1:03 AM, grendelbo said:

Predator 2

Insane and action-packed opener.

New weapons.

Story inspired by the first Predator Dark Horse series.

Multiple Predators.

Alien Easter Egg

Connection to the first film (mention) and to past hunts (the flintlock pistol).

The old lady with the broom.

And Bill Paxton.

Oh I saw it... just didn't care for it much. 

Finally watched it. Thought it was pretty good out of 5 I'd give it a 3.5 it wasn't better then the original but right there with predators. I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't over the top woke but to me it didn't make sense she wouldn't have pulled the trigger earlier on the predator. It would have made more sense to keep the brother alive to. My uncle who is native American didn't like that part at all. He feels it was spitting in the face of all braves by doing that. it wasn't about some political ideology it was about survival and who was better suited for specific duties, tasks. 

On 8/5/2022 at 12:32 PM, Bosco685 said:

:news: DO NOT read this until you see the movie. It contains spoilers. :news:

Prey's Major Connection to the Predator Franchise Explained

Reveal hidden contents

About midway through the events of Prey a new threat emerges. Not only is Amber Midthunder's Naru forced to fend off an alien trophy hunter from another planet, but a group of French fur trappers are also making their way across the land, and killing just as indiscriminately as the Predator. Eventually Naru is captured by the trappers who go on to use her as bait to lure the Predator in for the kill. Naturally that doesn't exactly work, but that scene also reveals on of the trappers has a bit of a change of heart and works to help Naru, especially after all his friends have been massacred. That trapper a man by the name of Raphael Adolini.

When you just read the name it might not mean much, but hardcore Predator fans should recognize it. Let's rewind to the conclusion of 1990's Predator 2. After killing the City Hunter in a battle aboard his ship, Danny Glover's Detective Harrigan is given a prize by one of the Elder Predators to celebrate his kill, a flintlock pistol with a brass plate that reads "Raphael Adolini 1715," the same pistol that Naru uses and takes with her in the events of Prey. In Predator 2 the pistol is meant to show the history of the Predators on Earth but its place in Prey seems to be setting the stage for another movie.

The use of the Raphael Adolini 1715 pistol in Prey not only firmly plants the movie as being in continuity with the original films but also sets up the potential for a Prey sequel. At the end of the film Naru still has the pistol in her possession, which naturally begs the question, how did the Predator tribe get it from her to later give to Danny Glover almost three hundred years later? Luckily Prey's animated end credits set up the next adventure, teasing the arrival of more Predator ships to Earth.

Adolini.PNG.9f5170984be12b843a4594021322b4b5.PNG

It is. :womanhero: