• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulu's PREDATOR: PREY directed by Dan Trachtenberg (2022)
5 5

372 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2022 at 9:06 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Counterpoint:

I thought it was canonical in both the comics and the films that Predators strive for even combat - to meet their prey where they are - thus limiting themselves to roughly equivalent weapons.

Example:

• In Predators, the final showdown with the Yakuza - both he and the Predator use swords
  • Here, when the Predator first meets the natives (who are using bows and arrows) and he uses (basically) crossbow bolts
  • Later, with the French trappers, he only introduces the net after they have tried to ensnare him with a net

Similarly, a major reason she has to shoot him with the flintlock is to enable (allow) him to escalate with the laser at the end.

Nice observations. Didn't see the parallels there as I was watching it. 

This was a really good Predator story. There are some things I felt were a bit of a stretch but overall the movie laid enough track to make it work for me.  The biggest disappointment was starting a rewatch in Comanche and realizing they only dubbed it over the English version. For some reason i was under the impression they had filmed 2 versions of the dialogue parts. It felt like a watching an old Godzilla/ kung fu movie. Also I don’t think anyone mentioned it so far but there’s a mini teaser at the end of the animated portion of the credits. 

On 8/6/2022 at 8:50 PM, Beige said:

I gave up with 30 mins left

I dunno what film some of you were watching.

Spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

The Predator that takes the yellow short-bus to hunting school, and still gets held back 25 years, flies across the galaxy to Earth in 1790.

There armed with:

Super-speed

Super-strength

High-tech weaponry

Invisibility cloaking

Laser targeting

Infra-red vision

High-tech meds

And enough adamantium pointy things to make Wolverine jealous kills - a wolf, a bear and some mangy French trapper/hunters who are armed with single shot muskets.

Oh did I mention the special shield that stops said balls and fires them back. Or the killer mesh nets, or the spinning seek and destroy bombs etc etc etc.

Honestly, it's like the proper Predators were off killing things that at least had the internal combustion engine, while Private Pile here gets, well, gets a pretty easy days work (except for I assume the obvious ending - hence proving this particular Predator is just bloody hopeless)

A special hat-tip to our heroine, who up until the hour mark had only managed to kill a few rabbits - then suddenly beat 5 burly armed hunter/trappers (yes 5) in hand-to-hand combat.

I was bored so turned off - which is the worst thing to say about an action movie

2/10 purely because of the animal CGI and the use and recognition of the Comanche language and way of life.

I'm with you.  I'll probably finish it tonight just so I can see the "final showdown".  

Nowhere close to the original (but none of the efforts have been).  How many times have we seen the "we're not listening to you because you're a girl" trope?  Zzzzz....

I preferred AVP to this one and that's not saying much.  

On 8/8/2022 at 3:01 PM, chrisco37 said:

I'm with you.  I'll probably finish it tonight just so I can see the "final showdown".  

Nowhere close to the original (but none of the efforts have been).  How many times have we seen the "we're not listening to you because you're a girl" trope?  Zzzzz....

Yes they were a little heavy handed with that trope. The story would have been fine if not better if she was simply treated as an equal in the tribe with past hunting experience. However, despite my issues there, I let it go because of the battle with the French and the finale. And the creature design. Best looking Predator period. Plus he had a sixteen-pack. Must have a gym on board his ship.

On 8/8/2022 at 2:36 PM, bentbryan said:

This was a really good Predator story. There are some things I felt were a bit of a stretch but overall the movie laid enough track to make it work for me.  The biggest disappointment was starting a rewatch in Comanche and realizing they only dubbed it over the English version. For some reason i was under the impression they had filmed 2 versions of the dialogue parts. It felt like a watching an old Godzilla/ kung fu movie. Also I don’t think anyone mentioned it so far but there’s a mini teaser at the end of the animated portion of the credits. 

I would have loved an actual Comanche version. Would have preferred that. I think it would have really changed the tone. But I get that it would have cost more money. And the budget was already stretched as you can tell by the animal CGI. I mean I loved the bear fight, and it was a good effort being done in daylight but it was rough around the edges. They focused on the Predator camouflage and that was flawless. 

On 8/8/2022 at 7:20 AM, Bosco685 said:

Don't watch until you saw Prey. It includes some of the Dark Horse Comics references.

What this guy wants in a sequel is exactly what they've done wrong in the past

Naru and her people had their time in the sun, now its time to move on. I'm guessing Bloody Sands of Time would be the next move

This was pretty good. I'll admit, I didn't want to see another Predator movie, but it's worth a watch.

Now, please NEVER make another. 

NOTE: The only reason I saw this: it wasn't my turn to pick on family movie night.

Edited by D84

On 8/8/2022 at 11:14 AM, ▫️ said:

Yes they were a little heavy handed with that trope. The story would have been fine if not better if she was simply treated as an equal in the tribe with past hunting experience. However, despite my issues there, I let it go because of the battle with the French and the finale. And the creature design. Best looking Predator period. Plus he had a sixteen-pack. Must have a gym on board his ship.

Yeah the Predator design was very cool. I loved the eyeless, almost Alien bone looking mask. 

I guess there's suspension of disbelief, and I could get that there is a warrior class, but I wonder if there are any civilized species that work on the advanced technologies; I mean they do have to maintain the tech I think.

Hard to accept these purely brutal savages with such advanced technologies.

On 8/8/2022 at 8:01 AM, chrisco37 said:

Finished it up.  The last half hour was certainly better than the first hour.  Not sure why they changed up the look of the Predator so drastically, but it still looked good.  It was alright.  I guess I could watch it again if I was channel surfing and it was on, but I’m not going to set aside any time for another viewing whereas the first one can be watched over and over.

Two ways this plays out since its received the highest RT and Metacritic scores with glowing reviews. They may want to go Hollywood big again with the next one and deliver a turd like The Predator. Or they could be smart and give us another similar indi-like picture with a higher budget for CGI. A good chase movie like Apocalypto or Mad Max Fury Road is always fun. Try to be innovative but also keep it at its simple core roots. 

Another of the original Predator actors celebrating Prey

Either Disney Marketing is driving this ( hm that is a lot of hashtags for "Hey this is good"), or the film is banging. Or both.

:nyah: