• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulu's PREDATOR: PREY directed by Dan Trachtenberg (2022)
5 5

372 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2022 at 7:57 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The commercials for this do look really sick, and I'm not really a Predator fan or anything. I'm just surprised at how good it looks for a Hulu original (basically the opposite of She-Hulk, VFX-wise).

They didn't skimp on the FX budget.  They are pretty good.  As others have said, it's not perfect but it's nowhere near crap.   I would have preferred they didn't CGI the Predator itself, but that's what all the movies do now.  

On 8/9/2022 at 9:45 AM, chrisco37 said:

They didn't skimp on the FX budget.  They are pretty good.  As others have said, it's not perfect but it's nowhere near crap.   I would have preferred they didn't CGI the Predator itself, but that's what all the movies do now.  

Kevin Peter Hall has always been Predator to me 

Nobody, CGI or otherwise has come close to his mannerisms

Lets reflect on Kevin Peter Hall's performance a bit

The man could stare intently, through a mask.

That scene in Predator 2 in the beef warehouse were he figures out hes being watched? The conveyance of surprise, turned into annoyance, absolute top notch acting

His stances and posing, riveting 

On 8/9/2022 at 10:12 AM, The Meta said:

Kevin Peter Hall has always been Predator to me 

Nobody, CGI or otherwise has come close to his mannerisms

Feral wasn't entirely CGI, as it was played by Dane DiLiegro who did it blind (he could not see straight out of the costume - he could only peer down at his feet through a neck hole, so guides were placed on the ground so he could hit his marks and know which path to run), but regardless felt this one had just as much 'character' as prior yautja, especially when contrasted with each movies main character. 

Naru's arc is mirrored by the Predator's development, but in reverse (we even see their wounds mirrored, as they both tend to their leg injuries). Throughout the movie we see her observe, adapt, learn and improve as a hunter which ultimately culminates in her victory, but at the same time we watch the Predator get more and more reckless and sloppy, choosing to tank more and more hits with each kill - as if he was getting more and more pissed off and reckless as the movie went on (he seems to have gotten charged up and maxed cockiness after winning against the bear, which I'm sure he regarded as a biggest threat on earth and not these smol hairless humans running around). He even seems to show he knows he bit of more than he could chew when the moment things started to go south (against Taabe) he wusses out and jumps back into using his cloak / tech.

My takeaway is this Predator enjoyed the kill high more so than the hunt itself (it was his first hunt after all)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 8/9/2022 at 10:18 AM, The Meta said:

Lets reflect on Kevin Peter Hall's performance a bit

The man could stare intently, through a mask.

That scene in Predator 2 in the beef warehouse were he figures out hes being watched? The conveyance of surprise, turned into annoyance, absolute top notch acting

His stances and posing, riveting 

ABD297F2-A044-4FD5-818C-908890D18EEF.webp

1 Prey Detail Makes The Predator vs. Naru Battle Even Better

One detail in Prey that makes Naru's battle against the Predator even more fascinating is that she is not the only young warrior who is learning to adapt to become the ultimate hunter: the Predator is, too.

When the Yautja first lands on Earth it begins its hunt by killing various animal predators. The feral Predator seems inexperienced, with Trachtenberg confirming this is the first time a Yautja has come to Earth. The Predator must also learn through its mistakes: it is spotted through its camouflage by a snake, must learn to use the trees as an effective hunting environment, and almost loses to a grizzly bear. Through each encounter, the Predator improves its skills so that when it later faces troops of fierce Comanche hunters and French trappers it defeats them with ease.

On 8/13/2022 at 8:14 AM, Bosco685 said:

No, this isn't the first time a Predator has been to earth, maybe THAT Predator 

Why would they want to box themselves in like that? How can you make a decent samurai vs Predator film if the first time Predators found earth is 1776? Or whatever the date on the gun was 

Short sighted and falling into the ego trap. He had to be the first to make a "first"

Predator lore can be deep and rich, and its small minded things like this that limits possibility 

On 8/13/2022 at 6:17 PM, ▫️ said:

So basically, Frank Miller’s Ronin? I think they should just make Frank Miller’s Ronin instead.

It was being made into a SYFY Channel mini series years back and then somehow dropped off the production radar.

On 8/14/2022 at 1:40 AM, Bosco685 said:

It was being made into a SYFY Channel mini series years back and then somehow dropped off the production radar.

Yeah, that would be incredibly hard to adapt correctly. Directors would want to add their own thing or reinterpret the symbolism.  Probably even change the ending. This would have to be adapted literally like 300 was page by page. So Zack Snyder would be the man to do it.

On 8/13/2022 at 6:44 PM, ▫️ said:

Yeah, that would be incredibly hard to adapt correctly. Directors would want to add their own thing or reinterpret the symbolism.  Probably even change the ending. This would have to be adapted literally like 300 was page by page. So Zack Snyder would be the man to do it.

Did Synder do 300?

On 8/13/2022 at 6:15 PM, The Meta said:

Did Synder do 300?

yep

Director Zack Snyder was hired in June 2004[10] as he had attempted to make a film based on Miller's novel before making his debut with the remake of Dawn of the Dead.[11] Snyder then had screenwriter Kurt Johnstad rewrite Gordon's -script for production[10] and Frank Miller was retained as consultant and executive producer.[12] Frank Miller's original graphic novel 300 was inspired by the film The 300 Spartans, which Miller first saw at age six.[13]

On 8/13/2022 at 8:58 PM, Artboy99 said:

yep

Director Zack Snyder was hired in June 2004[10] as he had attempted to make a film based on Miller's novel before making his debut with the remake of Dawn of the Dead.[11] Snyder then had screenwriter Kurt Johnstad rewrite Gordon's --script for production[10] and Frank Miller was retained as consultant and executive producer.[12] Frank Miller's original graphic novel 300 was inspired by the film The 300 Spartans, which Miller first saw at age six.[13]

The Dawn of the Dead remake was really well done I thought