• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How is grading right now? Tight? Loose?
4 4

46 posts in this topic

Yo yo, I’ve been sitting on a short box worth of gradable silver to copper for the last few years. I hesitated sending it in a few years ago because things were unreasonably tight.  What’s the opinion on the current grading standard.  Loose? Tight? Just right?  

2 hours ago, Boboset said:

Yo yo, I’ve been sitting on a short box worth of gradable silver to copper for the last few years. I hesitated sending it in a few years ago because things were unreasonably tight.  What’s the opinion on the current grading standard.  Loose? Tight? Just right?  

Like the three bears said to Goldilocks, "Submit!"  :wink:

I've graded a bunch of SA this year and with one exception I would say everything was as expected or even a bit better. 

I've got about 12 high grade BA books I want to submit but I'm a little worried CGC will be more discerning with high grade books

On 12/1/2020 at 10:50 PM, VintageComics said:

I also see resubmissions not grading the same grade so it's not just my own grading but I'm also comparing their own grading to how they're grading now.

So, what in the world are we paying for if these guys can't even grade with any reasonable degree of consistency.  :mad:  :censored:

Based upon your statement here, do you believe they are doing this intentionally for future resubs or is it simply because of total and complete incompetence when it comes to grading? hm :devil:

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Based upon your statement here, do you believe they are doing this intentionally for future resubs or is it simply because of total and complete incompetence when it comes to grading? hm 

Neither. I just think it's a natural swing (as @joeypost said in the other thread) that possibly one tight grader is swinging the grades in that direction.

FWIW I just received the grades for my latest submission...and I would echo what others have said here:  that their grading seems to be tilting to the “extremely strict” end of the grading curve. 

I’d be perfectly fine with that....if the books I saw when shopping/bidding looked like the books with the grades I received....but they usually don’t. 

I know there’s probably a tendency to view these types of comments with a grain of salt. I know I do. After all, the human tendency is to think you’re books are the ones getting the shaft. 

However, my eyes are not the only ones that have been on these books; an experienced submitted also looked over them and is also a bit perplexed by some of the results. 

I would say that unless you’re in absolute need of getting a book graded for resale, it might be prudent to hold off submitting for a bit. 

Edited by Number 6

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If my books ever go from qc to shipped today.......

I might have a reference point :wishluck: 

COOL!!

One for sure I though 9.8 came back 9.6

2 iffy 9.6/9.8's did in fact get 9.8

and 1 iffy 9.6/9.8 came back 9.6

SO :tink: