• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

We watched the first half/three segments today, and it was great to see how much better the story is with the original character development. I fully expect that the future of movies to be a combination of theatrical release followed by serialization with extra footage for streaming services. You can just use the same material twice.

Two things I did not care for so far: 1) the women singing and sniffing Aquaman's shirt scene, and 2) the theme music for the Amazons and Diana. 

Finally finished Zack Snyder's cut of Justice League.  Yes, it's a better film, but it kinda had to be right?  How could you not take the wide spread criticism of the original and not use that to improve the original product?  Flash, Cyborg, and Steppenwolf are more fully fleshed out.  Ray Fisher's acting is much improved.  And the CG throughout the film is leagues (pun intended?) ahead of what was originally shown in theaters.  The story overall just flows better, but maybe that's because it has 4 hours to tell a story.  I always said that DC should take its time building its own universe and instead the original universe was essentially crammed into one film.  I think the 4 hour cut is proof positive that taking time to build characters and story are essential to a franchise.

That all said, the same flaws are still prevalent.  I still think Flash is immature.  The CG, for all its improvements, is still worst than what Disney/Marvel puts to screen.  Snyder's continued choice of a dark color palette doesn't feel grounded.  A particular element to Superman feels like fan service but is really an injustice (two puns?  is that allowed) to the character.  Whoever was in charge of the music needs to find a new job because they're not suited for this line of work.  Certain scenes just ran long and could have probably been cut.

Overall, the movie has more heart, which is a far cry from what audiences were originally left with.  I still believe Snyder isn't cut out to lead in the creation of this universe.  I think there's enough interest to allow for him to helm a sequel, though I don't have much faith in his ability to craft a good story the first time around.

23 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Yes, it's a better film, but it kinda had to be right?  How could you not take the wide spread criticism of the original and not use that to improve the original product?

It would seem the original product was not improved. It was already complete before Whedon took over and cut it down adding some of his own stuff. The 70 million from HBO was to complete the CGI along with all the processing involved with finishing the raw film. Color correction, sound and a new soundtrack. And the one newly shot Epilogue scene that I could take or leave.  I read this somewhere so someone who followed the whole process can correct me if I’m remembering it wrong. But what we saw was always the finished product right up to the epilogue. That’s why Affleck looked so thin in the last scenes. 

9 minutes ago, Oddball said:

It would seem the original product was not improved. It was already complete before Whedon took over and cut it down adding some of his own stuff. The 70 million from HBO was to complete the CGI along with all the processing involved with finishing the raw film. Color correction, sound and a new soundtrack. And the one newly shot Epilogue scene that I could take or leave.  I read this somewhere so someone who followed the whole process can correct me if I’m remembering it wrong. But what we saw was always the finished product right up to the epilogue. That’s why Affleck looked so thin in the last scenes. 

Thanks for that tidbit.  If that's the case, it's just hard to believe that the edited Whedon version is the way they chose to go 4 years ago.

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

Thanks for that tidbit.  If that's the case, it's just hard to believe that the edited Whedon version is the way they chose to go 4 years ago.

Not to take Whedon's defense but I’m guessing the studio told him they want a two hour movie. Do what you have to do to get it there. I’m sure if Snyder didn’t leave the project they would have told him the same thing. The difference is, he could have cut his own film down to 2.5 hours and release the extended version for the home release. Like he did for BVS.

3 hours ago, kimik said:

Two things I did not care for so far: 1) the women singing and sniffing Aquaman's shirt scene, and 2) the theme music for the Amazons and Diana. 

The Icelandic people scene is meant to convey Arthur Curry is worshipped as a god by this village. Like would happen in the old days. Including treating his coming and going as a major ceremony. But due to his more realistic views on life, he doesn't take advantage of these people but more cares for them. But he could if he saw things differently.

Not that you need to like it. Just clarifying the intent.

3 hours ago, kimik said:

We watched the first half/three segments today, and it was great to see how much better the story is with the original character development. I fully expect that the future of movies to be a combination of theatrical release followed by serialization with extra footage for streaming services. You can just use the same material twice.

I agree with you on the first point. That shirt sniffing was creepy. She probably stalks Aquaman on Instagram. But the second point, no. I really enjoyed the Amazon’s music and Diana’s as well. 

"I've only seen it in memes. It was funny because part of me is happy that we were able to have that not be the total legacy of the hard work that he had done over the last ten years, you know? It's sad to think that that could have been the last view that people had of Superman was with that, whatever that is."

:applause:

Right there with you!

5 hours ago, kimik said:

I don't think that anyone cared about that part of the scene. lol

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

"I've only seen it in memes. It was funny because part of me is happy that we were able to have that not be the total legacy of the hard work that he had done over the last ten years, you know? It's sad to think that that could have been the last view that people had of Superman was with that, whatever that is."

:applause:

Right there with you!

Now all we need is a comment from Whedon or Johns.... will they have an opinion or are they being silenced by WB...?

1 minute ago, RickSp said:

Now all we need is a comment from Whedon or Johns.... will they have an opinion or are they being silenced by WB...?

What could they say?

"Well, we felt Superman as an actual space alien we wanted his facial features to be different from a common person. Almost like his mouth was a separate being from his face, communicating its own thoughts separate from the facial expressions themselves. At the time it felt genius and unique - something everyone could connect with."

(:

3 hours ago, Oddball said:

I know that people keep referencing "$70 million", but I have never found a source - other than internet rumors - to corroborate this number. The execs only said, "I wish it was just $30 million", meaning that money wasn't the only thing holding up its release (such as time completing VFX and SFX). Color correction didn't need to be completed for Snyder's Cut, though. The reason that Whedon's looks so bad is because it was already graded for Zack's film, and Joss wanted something different (brighter).

6 hours ago, kimik said:

2) the theme music for the Amazons and Diana. 

I'm with you on that.  Just as I think my opinion of the Snyder cut is improved by comparison to the theatrical release, I know I must be knocking it down a few points by comparison to Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films.  Every time I heard that "ancient lamentation music" I thought, OK here come the Elves of Lorien.  And as great as the flashback was to the original battle between Darkseid and the armies of the Atlanteans, Amazons and ancient men, I couldn't help but view it as a callback to the original battle between Sauron and the dwarves, elves & men.