• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2022 at 12:34 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I don't have KC, which two does it list? Fambola and Griswal? There are also two Jedi younglings introduced. 

There are more firsts than just the two Jedi, but I know some were mistakenly saying Porter Engle's first was in that book, which it is not, it's HRA Annual #1. Aside from Porter Engle, we don't really know what characters will be featured in phase two, but this book is a good spec play if you can get it at cover or below because the jedi featured are quite old, so they may appear as their younger selves in phase two.

Yes

On 2/20/2022 at 7:00 PM, CheeseFrog said:

I draw the line at Galactic Bake Off! :)

I’m “one and done” with that issue. 

I've officially hit rock bottom.

Grabbed a few more copies... fomo.

Good news about rock bottom is that it's only onwards and upwards from here!  :D

People need to ask themselves what is the end result you're looking for in the spec game.  Is it a cameo in a movie, character growth in a comic based storyline, bedsheets and pajamas?  

The vast majority of these first appearances will end up as nothing.  Even in the Marvel universe where everything is based upon possible MCU ties, why should anyone pay big money on a first appearance of a character that will only appear in 5 minutes and be killed off or forgotten immediately.  

Star Wars is tricky because any characters used from the new material will have to be signed off on from multiple top dogs.  You would think they already have ideas in place for what and who they will use when the time comes.

On 2/21/2022 at 7:10 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Star Wars is tricky because any characters used from the new material will have to be signed off on from multiple top dogs.  You would think they already have ideas in place for what and who they will use when the time comes

Yeah, with this high republic stuff the entire multimedia thing has been planned out by a select group of people and things have been done with a purpose.

So far most or all of the characters being introduced across books, comics, and video games is being done strategically and have so far crossed over pretty seamlessly. I’d think the same would go for the Acolyte and any other shows that come out of it. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 2/21/2022 at 6:19 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Yeah, with this high republic stuff the entire multimedia thing has been planned out by a select group of people and things have been done with a purpose.

So far most or all of the characters being introduced across books, comics, and video games is being done strategically and have so far crossed over pretty seamlessly. I’d think the same would go for the Acolyte and any other shows that come out of it. 

This.

HR was presented as a publishing initiative that was meant to give Disney IP to pull from for TV/movies.

On 2/21/2022 at 6:10 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

People need to ask themselves what is the end result you're looking for in the spec game.  Is it a cameo in a movie, character growth in a comic based storyline, bedsheets and pajamas?  

The vast majority of these first appearances will end up as nothing.  Even in the Marvel universe where everything is based upon possible MCU ties, why should anyone pay big money on a first appearance of a character that will only appear in 5 minutes and be killed off or forgotten immediately.  

Star Wars is tricky because any characters used from the new material will have to be signed off on from multiple top dogs.  You would think they already have ideas in place for what and who they will use when the time comes.

In the Marvel universe, first appearances more often than not lead to nothing, but first appearances in the Star Wars universe, for some reason, seem to gain more traction. At least, it seems that way with the Star Wars books in my collection, both Dark Horse and Marvel.

On 2/21/2022 at 6:57 PM, 500Club said:
On 2/21/2022 at 6:19 PM, awakeintheashes said:

This.

HR was presented as a publishing initiative that was meant to give Disney IP to pull from for TV/movies.

Exactly. This is why it was funny to see how poorly executed their promotional schedule was relative to FOC. Since Marvel makes money on the paid orders, not the back issue market, they really should have thought twice about having FOC before the investor event introducing Acolytes and the High Republic. lol 

On 2/21/2022 at 5:25 PM, Lord Gemini said:

Yeah, but every other issue seems to be the first appearance of someone. I didn't know why these two were special. :)

Who knows. It could be due to the High Republic adaptation buzz. I agree though. That's why I left Star Wars #20 on the shelf.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:03 AM, ygogolak said:

Who knows. It could be due to the High Republic adaptation buzz. I agree though. That's why I left Star Wars #20 on the shelf.

Elzar Mann plays a pretty big role in the books, and his true intentions remain a mystery. That issue is one I wouldn’t pass on at cover. 

On 12/30/2021 at 10:05 AM, eddly said:

4 modern Star Wars comics that I'm currently watching closely:

• High Republic 1

Continues to be stable selling for between $20 to $30 for raw books, closer to $30 still for the Hans variant.

CGC 9.8s are ranging from $80 to $100 which is a healthy spot for it to be holding without much news in terms of show development. I am tempted to submit the remaining 20 or so raw copies that I have to be graded, but am holding off for now. I have 3 copies at CGC now.

• High Republic Adventures 2

Many people are seeing this book as having high spec potential in 2022 (in this forum as well). The youtube community is pushing this book a bit too.

Raw copies are going for between $5 and $13. The high sale is from the UK though, I find that UK sales often create outliers so I put this book around $8 at the moment. 

CGC 9.8s are around $50 to $90. The 1:10 incentive is between about $80 and $100. I have 10 copies of the normal cover and one of the 1:10 incentives. Holding off submitting them for now... also waiting for CGC to recognize the 1st appearance in their label before I consider submitting any of my copies. When the time comes to sell these graded, buyers will want the appearance noted on the label... so due to that, I want it there too.

• Jabba the Hutt Bounty Hunters 1

Mostly selling for cover price still. Might be a good time to buy a 1:25 incentive cover. For now, I just have 10 copies of the Chang variant. I thought there might be some controversy with this cover, but also like it for the 1st appearance.

• High Republic Adventures - Monster of Temple Peak 1

Had a recent high raw sale of $25.41, perhaps an outlier. Raws are generally going for around $5 to $6 or just cover price. CGC 9.8s are around $60. I have 10 copies of this issue.

Seeing more strength with HR 1, cgc 9.8 getting closer to $100 or a bit above.

The biggest gain is with HRA 2, lots of recent sales... $15 or so raw and upwards of $100 cgc 9.8. Perhaps aided by the lower supply of 9.8s compared to HR 1.

Haven't really watched the last two since this post, perhaps they are a bit flat (jabba and temple peak).

HRA 1 seems to be a gaining a bit more respect.

Edited by eddly

On 2/23/2022 at 11:16 PM, eddly said:

The biggest gain is with HRA 2, lots of recent sales... $15 or so raw and upwards of $100 cgc 9.8. Perhaps aided by the lower supply of 9.8s compared to HR 1.

Haven't really watched the last two since this post, perhaps they are a bit flat (jabba and temple peak).

I'm so glad that my LCS didn't have the regular covers of HRA 2 when it came out, "forcing" me to buy the incentive variant.

On 2/24/2022 at 8:25 AM, Lord Gemini said:

I'm so glad that my LCS didn't have the regular covers of HRA 2 when it came out, "forcing" me to buy the incentive variant.

Wow. I just grabbed the last copy of HRA 2 from mine. Think I was the only one buying it. Every week since it was released I added a copy to my pile of books. That lack of demand also helped as they added a few of the RIs to my weekly box since nobody else wanted them. 

On 2/24/2022 at 12:16 AM, eddly said:

I wonder how the other printings will do down the road? Especially if you look at the sales of the later printings for Darth Vader #3 in CGC 9.8 1st Doctor Aphra. 

On 2/24/2022 at 12:04 PM, mr_highgrade said:

I wonder how the other printings will do down the road? Especially if you look at the sales of the later printings for Darth Vader #3 in CGC 9.8 1st Doctor Aphra. 

Not sure about the early issues because they seemed to be in abundance when I went to my LCS, but for issues 7 & 8, those were ghosts. #7 2nd is selling for more than the 1st print. I’d expect 8 to do the same if it ever heated up. 

I think there were second prints for 1,2,3,7,8. My shop had a lot of the later printings for 1-3, but barely any for 7 & 8. I could see the later printings of 1-3 increasing in price but I’m not sure if they’d follow what #7 is currently doing.