• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2022 at 10:39 PM, eddly said:

High republic adventures 2 CGC 9.8 just sold for $299.99?!?!

Wow. Had been debating when to prescreen a bunch. Looks like that’s the nudge I need. 

On 3/9/2022 at 5:22 PM, CheeseFrog said:

What do you all think of SWHRA 5, regarding Ro's helmet removal- getting a first look at him?

If that's a character that makes his way into the D+ work, I could see that jumping a bit.

Thoughts?

5-10 years ago, I’d say that is preposterous. With the way the market has been the last year or so…sure. Why not?

On 3/9/2022 at 8:48 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Wow. Had been debating when to prescreen a bunch. Looks like that’s the nudge I need. 

As soon as stray dogs 1 hit $600 I submitted my 3 copies… they all hit 9.8… but I think they are worth less than $100 now? I’m still hesitant to send hra2 to CGC.

Edited by eddly

On 3/9/2022 at 2:22 PM, CheeseFrog said:

What do you all think of SWHRA 5, regarding Ro's helmet removal- getting a first look at him?

If that's a character that makes his way into the D+ work, I could see that jumping a bit.

Thoughts?

I wouldn’t be surprised if HRA5 gets a price increase at some point.  I picked up a few copies just in case.

I am curious to see what pre-orders are like for the HR 1 and HRA 1 volume 2 later this year. If you look at the current sales numbers, the books are average to weak monthly titles. This is why the LCS owners I talked to last Jan/Feb did not go big on the first volume - their pre-order demand was low and they ordered accordingly. While highly unlikely since it seems like Disney/Marvel has started to get its sh it in order re: promoting their SW line a bit better now (i.e. releasing Sprouse variant covers in advance, more promotion of the HR franchise), I wonder if the diminishing sales numbers as the first volumes continued will weigh on the pre-order numbers again?

On 3/10/2022 at 2:05 AM, kimik said:

I wonder what the print run was for HRA 2. It looks like they had a ton of unsold stock for a long time as I snagged another 100 a month ago to add to my original larger pre-order. It obviously did not have enough pre-orders to meet the publication threshold that IDW printed to. In addition, where did all of the extra 1:10s end up?

I know it's not 100%, but Comichron has SWHRA2 with a print run of about 46,886.  SWHRA1, Ro's 1st cameo, is listed with a run of about 85,718.  And to put a perspective on it, SWHR1 had a print run of about 218,336.

On 3/10/2022 at 11:17 PM, ComicsAreGoodIGuess said:

I know it's not 100%, but Comichron has SWHRA2 with a print run of about 46,886.  SWHRA1, Ro's 1st cameo, is listed with a run of about 85,718.  And to put a perspective on it, SWHR1 had a print run of about 218,336.

Not surprising since it was marketed as an all-ages title. But, the storytelling in HRA was far superior than HR in my opinion. Much more going on and better character development. 

Damnit. Just when I thought I had finally bagged and boarded all of the SW HR and HRAdvs I have, I found this sitting under some other cases. I thought it was something else. I am almost tempted to list it as a sealed case on eBay since I now have to spend time bagging/boarding then reorganizing long boxes to fit them in order. It was sitting there with cases of HR 2 & 3 :facepalm:, but another one of HRAdvs 1 at least.

594500306_HRAdvs2case.thumb.jpg.15eb7585bafb53cf40d0dba2920c1a74.jpg

Edited by kimik

On 3/10/2022 at 9:17 PM, ComicsAreGoodIGuess said:

The SWHR 1 is across multiple printings though, not just the first print. The best of reprint covers long term will be the fifth printing, I think, as the orders would have tailed off quite a bit by then. 

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2021/2021-01.html

Marvel's top comic book was Star Wars: The High Republic #1, tying in with a new milieu for the franchise, and initial orders had been reported as topping 100,000 copies, with reorders and reprints taking it well beyond that.

Edited by kimik

On 3/10/2022 at 12:05 AM, kimik said:

The big difference here is that Stray Dogs was a flash in the pan with nothing behind it. HR and HRA are part of the next phase of the SW franchise. I would suggest submitting any copies you think have 9.8 potential so you have them on hand for when the video game hits and more news comes out re: D+ (Acolytes, for example) or movies. It is only a matter of time.

I wonder what the print run was for HRA 2. It looks like they had a ton of unsold stock for a long time as I snagged another 100 a month ago to add to my original larger pre-order. It obviously did not have enough pre-orders to meet the publication threshold that IDW printed to. In addition, where did all of the extra 1:10s end up?

For Stray Dogs, it is just supply and demand. When the 9.8 popped to $600, I recall seeing that there were only 20 copies in the census for the silence of the lambs cover variant. Here's what we have now:

image.png.e517ffaa92021f132421bfd1a7f5c184.png

Reminds me of the early 2000s when you could brag about a 9.4 being the highest graded copy for a silver or bronze age book.

Here's what the census is currently showing for High Republic Adventures 2:

image.png.244ebff40fcae1dbf8a6e594c1854511.png

These are relatively low numbers for a Star Wars book. In comparison there are 2,388 copies of the 9.8 cover A 1st print Star Wars: High Republic 1. Don't think HRA 2 can stay above $200 over the next 6 months... but I will be happy if it does.

Edited by eddly

On 3/16/2022 at 12:21 AM, eddly said:

For Stray Dogs, it is just supply and demand. When the 9.8 popped to $600, I recall seeing that there were only 20 copies in the census for the silence of the lambs cover variant. Here's what we have now:

image.png.e517ffaa92021f132421bfd1a7f5c184.png

Reminds me of the early 2000s when you could brag about a 9.4 being the highest graded copy for a silver or bronze age book.

http://cgcdata.com/cgc/

Weird because issue #2 is her first appearance and she appears again in #4 as well. She is identified in all appearances, and each appearance is roughly the same length. 

KCC must have some excess copies of that issue they are trying to get rid of. 

On 3/16/2022 at 6:22 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Weird because issue #2 is her first appearance and she appears again in #4 as well. She is identified in all appearances, and each appearance is roughly the same length. 

KCC must have some excess copies of that issue they are trying to get rid of. 

That seems to be the recurring theme! 

Decent growth for High Republic #1 Cover A in 9.8. Interesting that it has passed the Hans variant for the most part.

image.png.b736bc6eb195e3f9b65ca97e52eac1e5.png

Now at 4 sales above $200 for High Republic Adventures #2 in 9.8. Can it continue to hold above $200? One auction in progress on ebay for $197.87 with one bid ending in a little over 1 hour. How many copies did @kimik submit to cgc?

image.png.066ee4de8f5b1158308c4f50838f9863.png

The 1:10 incentive variant is the better option if you can get it below $200:

image.png.1812d5cc2d0c5ebb4fa3c8cd16bbee44.png