• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2022 at 10:37 AM, eddly said:

How many copies did @kimik submit to cgc?

I have just started to submit my HR books - 25 copies of HR 1 cover A is the first group. I will be sending in a bunch of them now that prices are starting to move. I am hoping that since IDW has better production quality that the HRAs will mostly hit 9.8 across the board. That will be a nice tidy profit, especially on the 1:10s. :headbang:

Regardless, another boardie and I that did the same bulk orders will be moving the needle on most of the issues as we start to send in more. Hopefully there are enough D+ and movie announcements to keep the prices running. :wishluck:

Edited by kimik

Anyone else have a printer defect on the back top left of HR1? Looks like a tiny spot where ink failed to roll? I have 60 copies total over the ABC variants and all have it to some extent.

Don't have a picture handy right now, but was pulling out my copies last night and noticed this. Gonna suck if I have 0 9.8s.

Edited by Tnexus

On 3/23/2022 at 7:02 AM, Tnexus said:

Anyone else have a printer defect on the back top left of HR1? Looks like a tiny spot where ink failed to roll? I have 60 copies total over the ABC variants and all have it to some extent.

Don't have a picture handy right now, but was pulling out my copies last night and noticed this. Gonna suck if I have 0 9.8s.

If that is indeed the case, will be considered a production flaw and won't impact grade

On 3/23/2022 at 9:28 AM, Tnexus said:

In theory, but if I'm going to pay $750 to grade and press books, I'd like some piece of mind before I gamble on getting 9.4s.

Absolutely 

On 3/23/2022 at 8:02 AM, Tnexus said:

Production quality was bad on HR 1. I have 88 copies from my order that all have scrapes/holes in the spine and other damages from the printer. And, even though I filed the damage claim to my LCS the night they came out, I ended up with a refund instead of damage replacements as the print run did not meet the back order demand. I guess the other option was second or third prints, but I had already ordered them so no use.

The same thing happened with Alien 1 as well. I had a case get destroyed during shipping (the box was literally ripped open on the side due to an impact and all of the books were damaged) and they could not replace them. :cry:

I need to rethink my FOC strategy, the first question should be "is it Star Wars?" If the answer is no... don't buy it.

Here are the Star Wars books that I went fairly heavy on last year... seeing some strong sales recently for each of them (showing last three sales for raw & CGC 9.8):

High Republic 1 (cover A)

• Raw -  $7.22 / $19.00 / $40.00 (best offer) 
  • CGC 9.8 - $135.00 /  $139.00   /   $91.00

The Hans variant continues to do very well (close to $40 raw).

The cover A raw examples vary in grade, the $7.22 is from the UK, may have slipped through the cracks. The $19.00 was advertised as VF. Overall not seeing many raw sales for cover A.

High Republic Adventures 1

• Raw - $0.99 / $12.50 / $9.50
  • CGC 9.8 - $99.95 / $79.99 (best offer) / $79.99

Sales for the 1:10: $61, $86 & $75 for a CGC 9.8.

High Republic Adventures 2

• Raw - $20.00 (best offer) / $21.99 / $22.50 
  • CGC 9.8 - $209.99 / $295.00 / $199.95 (on March 19)

The CGC 9.8 is still maintaining its strength, but not a lot of copies sold. I'm still not convinced this can hold at $200, think we're still seeing high prices due to lower supply of graded copies. We'll see.

The 1:10 continues to be really hot. The colours look great on it, nice book to have slabbed.

Jabba the Hutt Bounty Hunters 1 (cover B) (1st Deva Lompop)

• Raw - $20.00 / $15.99 / $9.50
  • CGC 9.8 - $175 (best offer) / $71.18 / $99.99

Cover A remains extremely cheap. The 1:25 is catching fire too.

High Republic Adventures - Monster of Temple Peak 1

• Raw - $9.99 / $12.99 / $13.04
  • CGC 9.8 - $129.99 / $135.50 / $95.98

There are quite a few 9.4 and 9.6 sales, perhaps this book is a bit harder to get in high grades. Looking at my raw copies, some of them do have colour breaking creases.

Over the next few weeks, keep an eye on the Deva Lompop book, its getting some spec hype.

Edited by eddly

On 4/3/2022 at 8:11 AM, eddly said:

I need to rethink my FOC strategy, the first question should be "is it Star Wars?" If the answer is no... don't buy it.

Here are the Star Wars books that I went fairly heavy on last year... seeing some strong sales recently for each of them (showing last three sales for raw & CGC 9.8):

High Republic 1 (cover A)

• Raw -  $7.22 / $19.00 / $40.00 (best offer) 
  • CGC 9.8 - $135.00 /  $139.00   /   $91.00

The Hans variant continues to do very well (close to $40 raw).

The cover A raw examples vary in grade, the $7.22 is from the UK, may have slipped through the cracks. The $19.00 was advertised as VF. Overall not seeing many raw sales for cover A.

High Republic Adventures 1

• Raw - $0.99 / $12.50 / $9.50
  • CGC 9.8 - $99.95 / $79.99 (best offer) / $79.99

Sales for the 1:10: $61, $86 & $75 for a CGC 9.8.

High Republic Adventures 2

• Raw - $20.00 (best offer) / $21.99 / $22.50 
  • CGC 9.8 - $209.99 / $295.00 / $199.95 (on March 19)

The CGC 9.8 is still maintaining its strength, but not a lot of copies sold. I'm still not convinced this can hold at $200, think we're still seeing high prices due to lower supply of graded copies. We'll see.

The 1:10 continues to be really hot. The colours look great on it, nice book to have slabbed.

Jabba the Hutt Bounty Hunters 1 (cover B) (1st Deva Lompop)

• Raw - $20.00 / $15.99 / $9.50
  • CGC 9.8 - $175 (best offer) / $71.18 / $99.99

Cover A remains extremely cheap. The 1:25 is catching fire too.

High Republic Adventures - Monster of Temple Peak 1

• Raw - $9.99 / $12.99 / $13.04
  • CGC 9.8 - $129.99 / $135.50 / $95.98

There are quite a few 9.4 and 9.6 sales, perhaps this book is a bit harder to get in high grades. Looking at my raw copies, some of them do have colour breaking creases.

Over the next few weeks, keep an eye on the Deva Lompop book, its getting some spec hype.

Monster of Temple Peak most copies I’ve seen had corner tears at the top or bottom of spine. 

High Republic Adventures 2 back cover has defects. I’m seeing quiet a few with the same manufacturing or printer defects. Reminds me of ASM 361 tears along the bottom edge.

Short term, this book might not retain $200.   Long term, I think once collectors and fans realize the significance of this book the prices could very well increase above $200 into the $300-$400 range.(movie trailer etc) Marchion Ro is the main bad guy of the High Republic era of Star Wars.  Reading the novels is important in understanding the significance of this character.  Eye of the Storm 1&2 are the origin issues for Marchion Ro. Disney and Marvel are developing him to be as formidable as any Sith Lord we’ve seen in the past. 

On 4/3/2022 at 8:35 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I am glad to say that I have scrooge mcduck sized vault of each of those books aside from HR #1. I only have a respectable hoard of those. 

That sounds like my hoard!  Although I've been slowly bringing in more HR 1's... in a relative sense, I think that books is still a bit of a sleeper.  A lot of first appearances (and a Ro cameo iirc).  All it will take is for one of those characters to stick and it'll light up.

Go team Lompop!  WOBH Jabba... I have not gone in on the 2nd print cover... just out of personal taste.  I think it looks awful.  The 1:25 is my favorite by far... all in!

Betting on WOBH Jabba, SWHRA 6, SWHRA annual, and SWHR 7 taking big jumps in phase II.

Edited by CheeseFrog

On 4/4/2022 at 9:40 AM, CheeseFrog said:

That sounds like my hoard!  Although I've been slowly bringing in more HR 1's... in a relative sense, I think that books is still a bit of a sleeper.  A lot of first appearances (and a Ro cameo iirc).  All it will take is for one of those characters to stick and it'll light up.

Go team Lompop!  WOBH Jabba... I have not gone in on the 2nd print cover... just out of personal taste.  I think it looks awful.  The 1:25 is my favorite by far... all in!

Betting on WOBH Jabba, SWHRA 6, SWHRA annual, and SWHR 7 taking big jumps in phase II.

It is crazy to think too that how many of these books are still sitting on comic book shelves, at least the ones I visit. I've already put together a short box from specing on HR. Last year I did buy a 9.8 slab for WOBH Jabba just because I thought the cover was cool looking LOL! Who would of known that 6 months later it could be a bigger book due to Lompop.

On 4/5/2022 at 3:46 PM, captainzombie said:

It is crazy to think too that how many of these books are still sitting on comic book shelves, at least the ones I visit. I've already put together a short box from specing on HR. Last year I did buy a 9.8 slab for WOBH Jabba just because I thought the cover was cool looking LOL! Who would of known that 6 months later it could be a bigger book due to Lompop.

Yeah I had been grabbing a copy a week from my one my shops until they read the last few pages of this thread…at least it seems that way. 

On 4/5/2022 at 4:03 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Yeah I had been grabbing a copy a week from my one my shops until they read the last few pages of this thread…at least it seems that way. 

Seems same at my LCS. Shelves were full of the Star Wars issues from prior months. But once I read about an issue here then I’m a day too late!  

One thing that another boardie and I are noticing is the difference in quality between books you bulk pre-order vs pick up off the racks a couple of weeks out. Unless your LCS ordered big and has them sitting in the back, it will be tough to get 9.8s due to handling and improper storage wear.

On 4/3/2022 at 7:35 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I am glad to say that I have scrooge mcduck sized vault of each of those books aside from HR #1. I only have a respectable hoard of those. 

Smart move. :cheers:

Just came across this over the weekend while cleaning out my scans/photos folder of books that have sold. This was a pic of the HR 1 1:25s from release date last year. I have not parted with any yet, but I am starting to send them in now for grading.

1579314771_HR1variants.thumb.jpg.2f941e5007128e1647bca8de865b8f56.jpg

On 4/6/2022 at 3:22 AM, kimik said:

Just came across this over the weekend while cleaning out my scans/photos folder of books that have sold. This was a pic of the HR 1 1:25s from release date last year. I have not parted with any yet, but I am starting to send them in now for grading.

More importantly have you parted with that ASM238? :baiting:

On 4/6/2022 at 3:22 AM, kimik said:

Good lord, how did you come across that many copies of the 1:25?

On 4/6/2022 at 11:00 AM, icp004 said:

More importantly have you parted with that ASM238? :baiting:

No. It is a CDN price variant that is finally going in this week for grading. As you can see, my comic room is very organized - I took the picks in the only empty space I could find at the time. lol 

On 4/6/2022 at 11:11 AM, Escaflown41 said:

Good lord, how did you come across that many copies of the 1:25?

That is based on my bulk pre-order. The math on this was simple based on cost vs prospective return, and it seemed like a no brainer to another collector friend and I - go big since this was the launch of a new era of SW. 

All of the info was out there, yet none of the LCSs I talked to thought much about it pre-FOC. DIS/Marvel helped solidify it as a spec play since they held the investor presentation discussing the new HR era AFTER the FOC passed. lol As we saw, they went straight to a 2nd print immediately after that investor presentation to fill the 1st print re-orders, then launched a 3rd print upon release. 

Edited by kimik

On 4/6/2022 at 2:52 PM, kimik said:

No. It is a CDN price variant that is finally going in this week for grading. As you can see, my comic room is very organized - I took the picks in the only empty space I could find at the time. lol 

Sweet!!!  Post it in the Bronze (or is that Copper) forum when you get it back! 

Edited by icp004
Typo