• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Board upgrades? Aka The Airing of Grievances Thread
12 12

1,538 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

The edit tab is at the top right.  It's shared with other options.

got it and thanks. I'm reentering the pics and trying to straighten things out. Thanks Fantastic Four for the info but I'd need to figure that out, and I'm not real computer savy, and a bit bent right now.

So three years ago our images did not immediately transfer because of a change in servers.   However, I cannot ascertain how long that process took.  

Also, who knows if @Scott =) still works with the support team. 

Although later in the thread he does say: 

To answer your question, tonight's move applies to ALL images that are currently visible on Chat boards, including stuff that was posted before the move earlier this year. More than likely, images that are currently broken/missing will remain broken/missing.

Let me know if further Qs.

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by Buzzetta

28 minutes ago, speedcake said:

What an odd time of year to decide to do a big board upgrade. It's the most active time with several big sales, contests, holiday discussion threads, etc. Just wait until February next time sheesh

You say that as if they cared. 

47 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

So three years ago our images did not immediately transfer because of a change in servers.   However, I cannot ascertain how long that process took.  

Also, who knows if @Scott =) still works with the support team. 

Although later in the thread he does say: 

maybe this time the decision was to sell all the images to amazon.

why not....amazon will buy and sell anything.

25 minutes ago, wilbil said:

maybe this time the decision was to sell all the images to amazon.

why not....amazon will buy and sell anything.

Funny you bring that up.  I cannot remember if it was eBay or if it was Amazon that first started claiming proprietary rights over images posted on their site even if the photos were those taken by non-eBay or Amazon employees. 

Since then I know for a fact that a specific picture I had taken of a Star Wars toy that I sold was used by eBay as a stock image and at least one other eBay user.  I sent the guy asking him to use his own image.  He responded that he chose to use the "stock" image that eBay offered him in his listing.  This was when eBay was experimenting with a lighting technique where they took a photoshopped image of your item and applied it to their own background.  They took the picture I had taken of my item. 

This was problematic on multiple levels.

1 - As you know with coins there are different nuances to any grade and qualifiers allowed within that given grade.  The picture I took of my specific item is not specific to whoever is buying that seller's sample of the piece. That buyer may be pleasantly surprised or disappointed. 

2 - It's not fair to me.  Savvy buyers will think I am using a stock image when in fact I am using a photo of my actual item. 

Edited by Buzzetta

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Savvy buyers will think I am using a stock image when in fact I am using a photo of my actual item. 

Savvy buyers will also look at your description, and whenever you take a picture of your actual item you should always note that in the description since most people use stock images.

I frequently go with the default item description text eBay fills in from the categories I choose, but the one thing I almost always edit in is that the image pictured is the exact one they will receive.  I mostly do that on toys because I know some people are picky about the box.

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Savvy buyers will also look at your description, and whenever you take a picture of your actual item you should always note that in the description since most people use stock images.

I frequently go with the default item description text eBay fills in from the categories I choose, but the one thing I almost always edit in is that the image pictured is the exact one they will receive.  I mostly do that on toys because I know some people are picky about the box.

no offense, but it means very little whether it is stated that it is the exact item that will be received. one heck of a lot of buyers have regretted that kind of come and buy me statement.

trust but verify.

6 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Absolutely 

13 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

quelling competing sales threads

I'm not sure who you are referring to or if it's true but as a conspiracy theory I'm giving this one a rating of four out of five tin foil hats!