• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE 2021 SKETCH COVER MEGA THREAD
17 17

913 posts in this topic

Can someone give me a brief primer to how getting these done works? Or point me to an FAQ? I am but a humble n00b. I scanned the first couple pages and was able to gather that some of these are commissioned through companies that rep artists? Who are the big players in that space? I want to get some of the blank covers I have of Future State Wonder Woman done but I don't think I'm getting on Joelle Jones', Jen Bartel's, or Jenny Frison's commission lists anytime soon if they even do them at all... how can I figure out who is available in the space?

CGC's events seem to just offer remarques, not full sketches so I'm guessing most of these vendors that facilitate commissions are also CGC facilitators or observers or whatever?

How do I wade in and burn up even more money is what I'm ultimately asking :ohnoez:

11 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Can someone give me a brief primer to how getting these done works? Or point me to an FAQ? I am but a humble n00b. I scanned the first couple pages and was able to gather that some of these are commissioned through companies that rep artists? Who are the big players in that space? I want to get some of the blank covers I have of Future State Wonder Woman done but I don't think I'm getting on Joelle Jones', Jen Bartel's, or Jenny Frison's commission lists anytime soon if they even do them at all... how can I figure out who is available in the space?

CGC's events seem to just offer remarques, not full sketches so I'm guessing most of these vendors that facilitate commissions are also CGC facilitators or observers or whatever?

How do I wade in and burn up even more money is what I'm ultimately asking :ohnoez:

I'm not too aware, but CGC remarques, if you still sent in a blank cover, the artist might make the "remarque" a little bigger than normal as the examples shown on Facebook prove.......

as far as what your looking for is called a facillitator that handles artists and their work schedule......

the only one that I vaguely remember is comicsketchart.com

you could visit that site to become familiar, also follow on Facebook :) 

12 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

What other artists are you looking to get?

25 minutes ago, Ron C. said:

What other artists are you looking to get?

I'm not very sure. I really want to get one of the three I mentioned as they were all cover artists on FSWW1 or Wonder Girl #1 and Jones is of course her creator. So those are long-term goals if any of them ever open a commissions list. 

I took a look at the site that @ADAMANTIUM was so kind as to provide and it would also be really, really cool to see Frank Cho's take on Yara but it doesn't look like he's taking commissions right now either. Not surprising lol. I have a good number of FSWW1 blanks. I want at least one from those 3 ladies above but besides that anyone that is known for good girl art would be cool to get for these. Bruce Timm? Adam Hughes? I don't know many artists known for cheesecake covers or whatever they call them (shrug) Wouldn't mind suggestions!

I have a Spider-Man blank cover or three that I'd love to get pretty much anyone who has ever penciled Amazing or a major Spider-Man series on... Bagley lol... Ramos... JRJR... Larsen... Ottley... Frenz... Zeck... Ross... Buscema... Pichelli One is Amazing #1 from 2014 so I'd also be interested in anyone that does a good Silk on one of those so JSC potentially? Besch? Frison again? Lupacchino is on the site @ADAMANTIUM mentioned but doesn't look like she's open for commissions right now...

I really don't know enough to know what I want yet but I have been wasting a chance to get some cool stuff one and I'm done with that :bigsmile: Maybe I'll get some ideas from following this thread idk

Edited by BoogieWoogie

10 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

I'm not very sure. I really want to get one of the three I mentioned as they were all cover artists on FSWW1 or Wonder Girl #1 and Jones is of course her creator. So those are long-term goals if any of them ever open a commissions list. 

I took a look at the site that @ADAMANTIUM was so kind as to provide and it would also be really, really cool to see Frank Cho's take on Yara but it doesn't look like he's taking commissions right now either. Not surprising lol. I have a good number of FSWW1 blanks. I want at least one from those 3 ladies above but besides that anyone that is known for good girl art would be cool to get for these. Bruce Timm? Adam Hughes? I don't know many artists known for cheesecake covers or whatever they call them (shrug) Wouldn't mind suggestions!

I have a Spider-Man blank cover or three that I'd love to get pretty much anyone who has ever penciled Amazing or a major Spider-Man series on... Bagley lol... Ramos... JRJR... Larsen... Ottley... Frenz... Zeck... Ross... Buscema... Pichelli One is Amazing #1 from 2014 so I'd also be interested in anyone that does a good Silk on one of those so JSC potentially? Besch? Frison again? Lupacchino is on the site @ADAMANTIUM mentioned but doesn't look like she's open for commissions right now...

I really don't know enough to know what I want yet but I have been wasting a chance to get some cool stuff one and I'm done with that :bigsmile: Maybe I'll get some ideas from following this thread idk

You are not getting Buscema or Ross. Mike Zeck used to occasionally post pieces on his website, but that has been curtailed for now. Bruce Timm pieces can be found on Albert Moy's website. For Frank Cho and Adam Hughes, you have to catch them early at a live event and then get lucky enough to commission a piece.

11 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Become a stalker. Kind of seriously, you essentially have to stalk the artist to a certain extent. Artists reps, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, live cons, email.... use these to see if you can figure out how to get on their commission list (if they have one) and the bigger the artist name the more unlikely you are to get anything.

1 hour ago, Webhead2018 said:

Some of those would be hard to get a sketch from or be real pricey.

I definitely have champagne tastes! One of my worst characteristics unfortunately. I'll probably ease up once I get a better sense of pricing. I would drop mid 4-figures to get Jones to do my FSWW1. Don't think that'd be enough though lol 

14 minutes ago, Ron C. said:

You are not getting Buscema or Ross. Mike Zeck used to occasionally post pieces on his website, but that has been curtailed for now. Bruce Timm pieces can be found on Albert Moy's website. For Frank Cho and Adam Hughes, you have to catch them early at a live event and then get lucky enough to commission a piece.

I figured that a lot of the ones I posted were the longest of longshots, especially folks that still get a ton of work today like Bagley or Ross. And the artists I know off the top of my head are of course the very most famous in the game so... I guess I need to pay more attention to who has done Spider-Man on some of these side stories and mini-series and broaden my perspective. When I get books signed I am only interested in getting members of the working team to sign the book. I know some people are into getting Stan Lee's signature on random Spider-Man titles but... that never made sense to me. So in looking to commission my first sketch my thought process was similar... get the artist that penciled the book to do a cover for you or find someone with a major tie to the character. But that gets to that point of only very very famous artists for major characters like Spidey...

I'll have to observe the space for a while longer before I wade in I think :bigsmile:

10 minutes ago, thesink said:

Become a stalker. Kind of seriously, you essentially have to stalk the artist to a certain extent. Artists reps, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, live cons, email.... use these to see if you can figure out how to get on their commission list (if they have one) and the bigger the artist name the more unlikely you are to get anything.

If all it took was being a creep I'd be deep in this game already! lol but seriously this is really good advice and something I'm going to definitely do. I am eager for convention season to kick off this summer so I'll see if I can get anything figured out in the coming months. Thanks for this tip!

Thank all of you for being willing to share some info with me, I really appreciate your time. I'm going to give this thread a follow and try to soak up some more game :popcorn:

On 5/28/2021 at 6:48 PM, ivdyer said:

I have been impatiently waiting for this Kadar piece to come back….well worth the wait!

537C7E6C-2D1D-4A48-9D39-7FCD5B31A3DD.thumb.jpeg.72ec88e3238d54d2bc34d59eaef4b844.jpeg

Awesome cover. This was actually the piece that pointed me towards @FAKadar and started me down this sketch cover collection path.

2 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Ross

I will say I looked into have Alex Ross do some work. Even if you could get him to do a sketch cover( which he does)  , I would say you are probably looking into $5k + . Which for that money you would be better off looking at the stuff he already has done and just picking one from his art site. Sketches stating around $2k and up from there . Full paintings are starting around $10k. 

https://www.alexrossart.com/Sketch_c_31.html

If you are serious about getting a special one done just for you and those prices didn't immediately floor you then your best bet would be as others have said try contacting through social media. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and the contact through the Art website contact. Although for CGC SS you would either have to get him to agree to creator agreement form and direct submission or a facilitator.  That said this would also be a very long process. Especially submitting to CGC . 

This all said another option is to have an artist you like their style but not as famous do the sketch through a facilitator and then have it signed by the specific creators, artists, actors, etc. 

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite