• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Symmetry of "Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man" Forty Five Years Later
1 1

16 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FoggyNelson said:

Thanks for good post👍😷

Thanks for the kind words Foggy.  I started a separate thread as opposed to put it in the Ross Andru thread because this was so long.  Viewing it on the computer is a bit much, but looking at it on a smart phone is just ridiculous, lol.  Guess I got long winded and couldn't shut up.

We had a factory outlet where for some reason they always had the Treasury editions. I was 12 when I got this issue. It was so good. X-Overs were kinda rare back then. Not even sure this might have been the first x-over between DC and Marvel?

I was not a fan of Ross Andru's artwork. Just wasn't a style I liked is all. But that was a good book. All I can really remember from it is Parker landing body blows on Clark while Clark waited patiently for him to stop. And Parker nursing his bruised knuckles. LOL! Those were the days, my friends. We thought they would never end.

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

We had a factory outlet where for some reason they always had the Treasury editions. I was 12 when I got this issue. It was so good. X-Overs were kinda rare back then. Not even sure this might have been the first x-over between DC and Marvel?

I was not a fan of Ross Andru's artwork. Just wasn't a style I liked is all. But that was a good book. All I can really remember from it is Parker landing body blows on Clark while Clark waited patiently for him to stop. And Parker nursing his bruised knuckles. LOL! Those were the days, my friends. We thought they would never end.

Ah, weren't they though.  It's funny what you remember after 45 years.

4 hours ago, Randall Ries said:Not even sure this might have been the first x-over between DC and Marvel?

This was their first crossover of their universes, though the Wizard of Oz treasury preceded it as their first cross-company collaboration. 

I would love a reprint volume of their early crossovers; both Superman/Spider-Man treasuries, Batman/Hulk, and I guess X-Men/Teen Titans. I think these were the only ones in the first wave. Am I forgetting any from this period? Weren’t the rest in the 90’s or thereafter? I guess you could make it a bigger volume by putting the Wizard of Oz in there, and reprinting the unpublished Perez pencils from the first JLA/Avengers project. A bit of it appeared in an issue of Comics Interview, IIRC. It’s in my Avengers boxes somewhere. 

On 1/8/2021 at 11:37 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Conclusion:  Ross Andru balanced the amount of space Spider-Man, Superman, Dr. Octopus, Lex Luthor, and the Alter Ego’s Supporting Cast appeared in Superman vs The Amazing Spider-Man to within 4 panels of each other when comparing the Marvel Universe with the DC Universe.  
Not sure further artist’s that worked on these cross company collaborations went to the effort that Ross Andru did, but this book was his Magnus Opus in my opinion.

Great post Reggie :headbang:

It's a testament to his work that people like you can go to the lengths you have here to assess his contribution which, as you already know, I think is woefully underrated. I've said it elsewhere, but I think the man himself would get a kick out of seeing this kind of analysis and attention. So much good stuff goes unnoticed in life. And death's a bastard isn't it. 

Nicely done mate.

Here's my old copy (with nice arrival date):

220493119_MTESMVSSUPERMAN(2).thumb.jpg.d524680d5d52d5d1879582999d9a208e.jpg

Steve, as always, thanks for the kind words. 

I agree that Ross was terribly underappreciated, and maybe my humble posts are my attempt to correct that.  In my mind I can see Ross fretting, wondering if had enough Spider-Man panels or too many Lois Lane panels in this book.  He just cared that much about his craft.

I would have loved to spent some time with Ross at a convention if I had a time machine, but I don't think he would even have gone to one, too embarrassed about the attention he may have gotten.

Love your old copy with a date stamp.  

7 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

Steve I'm surprised you don't have OUR version.

Supes vs Spidey.jpg

I did have both, back in the good old Spidey completist days.... :cloud9:

You guys are making me want one. The LCS had a mint copy, which was described as very scarce in that shape . They wanted a firm $ 150 for it. I decided to sleep on it and it was gone the next day. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

You guys are making me want one. The LCS had a mint copy, which was described as very scarce in that shape . They wanted a firm $ 150 for it. I decided to sleep on it and it was gone the next day. GOD BLESS...

Copies don't last long over here in the UK. If it's genuinely mint, that sounds quite reasonable to me. The signed by Stan Lee 'second printings' do well too, if you can find one. 

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Copies don't last long over here in the UK. If it's genuinely mint, that sounds quite reasonable to me. The signed by Stan Lee 'second printings' do well too, if you can find one. 

I knew the treasury format was tough in grade, but so many are just reprints that I got desensitized to them. I've yet to read that story, to my shame. GOD BLESS...

3 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I knew the treasury format was tough in grade, but so many are just reprints that I got desensitized to them. I've yet to read that story, to my shame. GOD BLESS...

Go back and buy it tomorrow. An original Spidey story, Andru style, in a massive format. What's not to like Jim!  :headbang: