• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s the word on the street about conventions this year ?

56 posts in this topic

Got my first shot last week. In two weeks I get my second. I am told by my doctor that three weeks later I should be 95% safe. I can still pass it on to others without knowing. Something I don’t feel to good about. 

Will be a real game changer for me. Problem is, it will be at least 6 months before all you youngsters get it. I expect masks and cautious behavior for the rest of the year.

I expect no large Cons in SO CA until at least fall. No WonderCon, no Torpedo and no SDCC. This pertains to my other toy and antique shows as well. Maybe some small shows and flea markets as soon as people get vaccinated. 

To tell the truth, the thought of getting into a hazmat show to go to a show doesn’t sound like much fun. The thought of thumbing mylars in a box that dirty fanboys have been breathing over doesn’t sound Very appealing either. Hell, many don’t even know what a bar of soap is anyway. 

I don’t particularly want these people handling my books either. Then there is the issue of handling cash which is a perfect storm for transmitting cooties.

I did Terry’s show last year at end of Jan just pre covid. Although, I didn’t notice anyone who seemed sick, I handled a boatload of cash. A week later I was sick as a dog for about a week. Fever, chills, real tired and the worst cough I have ever experienced. Was I an early covid victim? Don’t know but don’t ever want that again.

I certainly won’t travel to a Con this year but maybe a few small local shows in a few months. 

Numbers are coming down a bit in LA, the political mess has subsided a lot and life is starting to look s little brighter. Hell, just getting to be able to see my kids and grandkids in a couple of months is good enough for me. 

On 2/2/2021 at 7:56 PM, bpc3qh said:

"People stop putting up with it" is an insane thing to want, coming on the heels of an attempted violent coup--and to want it over restrictions designed to stem the tide of a dangerous pandemic is even worse.

I shouldn't take the bait, but can we lower the hyperbolic rhetoric on all sides of all issues?? And not just us Boardies, but all of us everywhere. It's disingenuous to wield language specifically chosen to conjure and perpetuate alarmism: people are already alarmed enough.

You can't seriously believe that the amped-up insufficiently_thoughtful_persons (they are often called "mostly peaceful protesters" if they are burning police stations on the west coast) that stormed the capitol following a guy dressed as some kind of viking-hybrid were actually attempting a coup, do you? 

There were throngs of protesters who, like many in America on different sides of myriad issues, felt their voices weren't being heard and, in their hearts and minds, held genuine grievance, whether you think it illegitimate or not. Heated crowds are unfortunately prone to mob action and, in the heat of the moment, many of the protesters made a bad decision. To say they went there with the intention of overthrowing the government is absurd. After months of watching civil unrest by people who we heard over and over again just wanted their voices to be heard, they likewise wanted to be acknowledged, and they chose a regrettable path to further those ends where people needlessly got hurt and some died. 

We can't watch our streets filled with violent mobs night after night and think it will not have a long-term deleterious effect. Nor can we pick and choose which groups are righteous and which are heinous simply because they are more aligned with our personal politics. Call out the foul behavior on both sides. Every time. I've watched social apologists my whole life make excuses for social ills like gang violence and the 9/11 attackers. I'm sure those same people could exercise a modicum of subjective dexterity in their mental gymnastics and afford a better level of understanding of the actual underpinnings of that sad day.

Remember, whatever your stance on an issue, it's quite probable that very nearly half the country disagrees with you. That used to be okay... :foryou:

20 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Got my first shot last week. In two weeks I get my second. I am told by my doctor that three weeks later I should be 95% safe. I can still pass it on to others without knowing. Something I don’t feel to good about. 

Will be a real game changer for me. Problem is, it will be at least 6 months before all you youngsters get it. I expect masks and cautious behavior for the rest of the year.

I expect no large Cons in SO CA until at least fall. No WonderCon, no Torpedo and no SDCC. This pertains to my other toy and antique shows as well. Maybe some small shows and flea markets as soon as people get vaccinated. 

To tell the truth, the thought of getting into a hazmat show to go to a show doesn’t sound like much fun. The thought of thumbing mylars in a box that dirty fanboys have been breathing over doesn’t sound Very appealing either. Hell, many don’t even know what a bar of soap is anyway. 

I don’t particularly want these people handling my books either. Then there is the issue of handling cash which is a perfect storm for transmitting cooties.

I did Terry’s show last year at end of Jan just pre covid. Although, I didn’t notice anyone who seemed sick, I handled a boatload of cash. A week later I was sick as a dog for about a week. Fever, chills, real tired and the worst cough I have ever experienced. Was I an early covid victim? Don’t know but don’t ever want that again.

I certainly won’t travel to a Con this year but maybe a few small local shows in a few months. 

Numbers are coming down a bit in LA, the political mess has subsided a lot and life is starting to look s little brighter. Hell, just getting to be able to see my kids and grandkids in a couple of months is good enough for me. 

I'm sorry I pobably shouldn't ask these things but you did put it out there so please don't get offended because I mean you no harm. 

Do you really think everybody is going to voluntarily get this vaccine? Most people I know say heck no. I think the majority of people are not going to get themselves or their children injected.   You mention it spreading through cash. If that was the case wouldn't every store, especially the big high volume stores be having outbreak after outbreak on a large scale. Thats not even mentioning door handles, atm touch pads, gas pumps, ect that are touched my hundreds of people per day.

You wont go to any comic cons but you will go to local shows? Why, are the people at the local shows be less likely to infect you?If you are that concerned why take a chance?

And please feel free not to answer, but again you did mention it here. Why can't you see your kids and grandkids for a couple of months? I ask because I know of a few people who have voluntarily refused to see their children out of fear of one of them infecting the other with corona. The kid next door's father showed up a few months ago and saw his boy for the first time in months and wouldn't get out of his truck and made the kid speak to him from over 6 feet away. Its your life you can live it as you see fit but maybe you might be letting it take control of you a little too much? Again I ask these out of concern not malice.

Edited by Professor Chaos

I checked my local sources reguarding the SDCC. It has been canceled unofficially. Reasons: Legal Liability, Guest attendance as well as fan attendance. NYCC has a  Long shot especially if everyone does their part and get the shot, the second shot, and the upcoming supplemental. But it could, be a yearly type thing. Again, we still in the beginning, as last time almost 100 years ago this played out over 3/4 years.

I do think on a more upbeat note, that when conventions come back, they will come roaring back with record attendance and spending.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It's too bad the poster up thread wants to troll on this forum.  But, have to :golfclap:this response.  Congrats and good luck!

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

I checked my local sources reguarding the SDCC. It has been canceled unofficially. Reasons: Legal Liability, Guest attendance as well as fan attendance. NYCC has a  Long shot especially if everyone does their part and get the shot, the second shot, and the upcoming supplemental. But it could, be a yearly type thing. Again, we still in the beginning, as last time almost 100 years ago this played out over 3/4 years.

I do think on a more upbeat note, that when conventions come back, they will come roaring back with record attendance and spending.

Not surprised that SDCC isn't happening. NYCC is a fall event typically, so I could see it happening, especially if Baltimore happens, since that would indicate a level of improvement in our public health situation. I'm with you on conventions roaring back--once they do, I'll be taking trips to all the big ones, and will be...spending liberally.

1 hour ago, PeterPark said:

The control is in the precautions. Like you wouldn't squeeze the blade of a sharp knife just to cut your hand, you don't touch any of the things you are talking about, or you wear gloves or sanitize, and keep your distance and wear your mask and get your vaccine. Disregarding common-sense protections is extremely weak. Exercise some control and rationally protect yourself and everyone else. The restrictions are only there for the irrational. 

+added emphasis

The political post above about January 6 doesn't merit a substantive response, and political speech is banned on this board.  But some might find it interesting that CGC's attorney and our fellow board member, Mark Zaid, is now representing a high ranking capital police officer who wants to reveal everything that happened on January 6 in the upper echelons of the force to Congress.  We can only speculate on what might be revealed and what directives they may have been given, but it could be relevant to upcoming hearings.  Mark works both sides of the political street, so who knows what impact that will have.  CGC's attorney and our fellow boardie is in once again high profile in his practice.

Edited by sfcityduck

There is a covid thread over in the Water Cooler. Politics are not allowed there either. These topics should’ve discussed there. 

The question is when conventions might resume. Not why there aren’t any. I gave my opinion.

I come to the GA threads to discuss GA comics and get a break from reality for a little while. It has always been a place of refuge. In the past year, there have been several angry exchanges that have resulted in several board members turn away from here. I miss these folks. 

Lets get back to geeking over each other’s books and the pleasant exchange of info on GA comics!