• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turnaround times continually increasing
1 1

149 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

Most people who do not complain about their cards for a super extended period of time do not hold a value to those cards. If it was their 1st edition base set Charizard they would feel totally different. Many people have their Valued cards their right now and it is like their possessions are being withheld for extremely extended periods of time past the estimation dates over and over again. 

Do I really need to point out that you dont send a 1st ed Charizard through bulk or economy, or do you just not read before you post lol? Just stop using bulk and economy and there isnt any issue.

5 minutes ago, UncSven said:

This is an excellent point. The advantage of the higher tiers wasn't really there time wise, so it wasn't worth it. Now it is. Maybe that's why they did it? Just squeezing every penny out while they can. I sent them cards BECAUSE IT WAS FASTER THAN PSA. I have bulk pokesubs at psa as well. I primarily use PSA and figured I could give cgc a chance, resubmit them to psa if I didn't like it. If I had known what they would go on to do... there would have been 0 reason for me to send them anything. Might as well let PSA hold my cards for 8 months, if cgc was going to do the same thing, and the submission cost me MORE with cgc...

Ya know I been seeing alot of social media posts of people sending in way too many modern cards and that could be part of why TAT's are so jammed up on bulk and economy. Lots of people jamming the system up with Shining Fates and Vivid Voltage or whatever other modern stuff that they see easy margins on from reselling. 

And lets be real, thats mainly why people are coming here in the first place. They arent the end consumers. And yeah, I can see why TAT's are what they are when people are sending in stacks of modern stuff. People can do whatever they want, its a free world, but if people keep doing stuff like that, then the bulk service is basically unusable.

I dont have huge issues with bulk and economy going up since my business doesnt rely on flipping modern junk. Easy solution is just use standard or above and dont grade every single newer card. Im not having any issues with standard or higher services and they are a bargin compared to the competition.

3 hours ago, mattyzeepgam said:

Do I really need to point out that you dont send a 1st ed Charizard through bulk or economy, or do you just not read before you post lol? Just stop using bulk and economy and there isnt any issue.

You are pretty much telling us not to grade at all unless we spend tons of money. CGC was cost efficient that is why many of us used them and time efficient. Now it's not. The value for most cards is barely there. Compared to some others. I could sit on a CGC card for months but I didn't mind doing it because of the times and price. Now I'm starting to wonder why. The Charizard was a sheet example. An example that any card you might cherish in your collection you would want back in a reasonable time... 20-30 days is reasonable... Years isn't...

Edited by ShiningCollectibles

5 minutes ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

You are pretty much telling us not to grade at all unless we spend tons of money. CGC was cost efficient that is why many of us used them and time efficient. Now it's not. The value for most cards is barely there. Compared to some others. I could sit on a CGC card for months but I didn't mind doing it because of the times and price. Now I'm starting to wonder why. The Charizard was a sheet example. An example that any card you might cherish in your collection you would want back in a reasonable time... 20-30 days is reasonable... Years isn't...

Im not sure if I already told you this since Ive told people this before, but no, do not grade your cards unless they are very valuable. You dont seem to understand the point of grading. The point of grading is to get a professional opinion on a card and have it encapsuled for resale at some point. If your going to take your cards to your grave, either buy screw cases, or find some trophy shop to make you labels. Your wasting your time and money on grading if its just for a personal collection that you never plan to part with.

You dont need a professional company to tell you how to enjoy your cards. Im sorry that you did not do the research before hand, but its a service that is mostly done for resale purposes. If you want stuff back quicker, it costs money. If not then you will be stuck behind all the people trying to grade multiple $3 shining fates cards.

Edited by mattyzeepgam

8 minutes ago, mattyzeepgam said:

Im not sure if I already told you this since Ive told people this before, but no, do not grade your cards unless they are very valuable. You dont seem to understand the point of grading. The point of grading is to get a professional opinion on a card and have it encapsuled for resale at some point. If your going to take your cards to your grave, either buy screw cases, or find some trophy shop to make you labels. Your wasting your time and money on grading if its just for a personal collection that you never plan to part with.

You dont need a professional company to tell you how to enjoy your cards. Im sorry that you did not do the research before hand, but its a service that is mostly done for resale purposes. If you want stuff back quicker, it costs money. If not then you will be stuck behind all the people trying to grade multiple $3 shining fates cards.

Your point of grading and mine are two different ideas. You try to make money. I'm grading my cards that just need to be safe mostly for myself. Graders are just protecting your cards. They shouldn't be trying to take the value of the card just because one sells for a decent price. It's the owners cards not theirs. It is just a case to hold it. I spent 900 dollars for a service that was suppose to be 20-30 days. Numerous delays and hadn't event moved off of received and now it's at 111 estimate. I mean by the time I see them it's gonna be years if I'm lucky. If I make a little here and there that's good but the times need to be around what they are estimated. Or else there was no point even converting... I absolutely hate people who have no sentimental attachment to their cards. They are the ones destroying the hobby. When the massive crash happens which it will I will be happy so they lose all the crummy profit they acquired by overpricing the market. I personally don't care why you grade your cards but I do care when we're lied to repeatedly....

Edited by ShiningCollectibles

On 3/2/2021 at 8:05 AM, UncSven said:

Is my order grandfathered in to the turnaround time that was listed when I submitted, like how the price is locked in? My economy 17 card submission was received January 11th 2021, and the turnaround time on economy was 40 business days. Then it was 45. Then 50 and later 56... Now, as of this week, it's 61 business days?!!?!?! my 40 business days would be pretty much up by the end of this week, but now I still have more than a month to go?? Or, am I still expecting the 40 day turnaround?
This doesn't even make sense to me. How could more orders coming in slow grading of orders that are months older? Unless you're literally just putting them to the side while you grade higher tiers, grading them sporadically.
If I am tied in to the new wait estimates, what is to stop you from adding more days between now and my current estimated completion? I am not exactly pleased with the situation as it is now.
Thank you.

They are putting them aside to grade higher tiers. Their notice states that...

13 hours ago, mattyzeepgam said:

The point of grading is to get a professional opinion on a card and have it encapsuled for resale at some point. If your going to take your cards to your grave, either buy screw cases, or find some trophy shop to make you labels.

You dont need a professional company to tell you how to enjoy your cards. Im sorry that you did not do the research before hand, but its a service that is mostly done for resale purposes.

You're right, no one needs a grading company to tell people how to enjoy their cards. But have you stopped to think that getting a pro's opinion could inherently increase the sentimental value for a collector? I for one am not a fan of the screw/magnetic cases out there and love the aesthetic to CGC's line; I have a few comics graded by them that would look amazing with (fingers crossed) future card slabs of graded Marvel trading cards.

I agree with many of the points you bring up regarding pricing – it sucks to see TATs be where they are. On the point of grading for a professional opinion? Agree. To assist with the reselling? Disagree. My two cents.

Edited by dagwood jr.
Grammar

19 hours ago, mattyzeepgam said:

You dont need a professional company to tell you how to enjoy your cards. Im sorry that you did not do the research before hand, but its a service that is mostly done for resale purposes. 

Since Marvel cards were just mentioned in this thread. They are a PERFECT a example of why posters here should simply do what they want with their collections and not listen to this concrete thinking.

The majority of 90’s Marvel cards were hardly were worth the cost of grading last year. The majority of 92 Masterpieces in PSA 10 could be had for $25 a piece less than two years ago...now they are selling for hundreds and even thousands. With those type of escalations I’m sure many people that had them couldn’t pass up the opportunity to cash in because at some point sentimentality goes out the window when money gets crazy. (I was one. I had graded cards for paintings I own from the set...the 3 cards I sold last month more then covered the cost of the purchase of a new Marvel Masterpieces painting for my collection). I had a discussion a year or two ago with another collector of Marvel cards that it was kind of surprising that so few collectors are into grading but we both agreed it was going to happen as I’ve seen similar lags with collectibles such as Magic Original Art. The way many collectors were talking in 2011 it just never seemed like the pop was going to happen and then about 5 years later BOOM. The Marvel trading card collectors were the closest I’ve seen to that group.

People who were “dumb”enough to grade these things previously don’t have to contend with the enormous turn around times for any company to grade them. Since this same poster has repeatedly prattled on about a bubble bursting with collectibles as COVID restrictions loosen and people do other things with their money the people who didn’t understand the point of grading are currently able to sell these previously worthless cards while the market is hot.

Now they truly would have pissed their money away if they took these same cards to a trophy shop and had them make some lame display for these cards.