• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay offensive material policy - Just the beginning of censorship, already happening? Whats the scoop?
3 3

631 posts in this topic

Speaking of PMRC, I remember when Dee Snider, Frank Zappa and John Denver testified to Al Gore's congressional panel on censorship.

John Denver testified that his song "Rocky Mountain High" was banned from several radio stations because of the lyrics offending some people. PMRC sucked, so no gov't-mandated ratings.

And today we have Drake, Cardi B, and a bunch of others celebrated for their lyrical obscenities winning top awards, filling the top of the charts and filling the heads of kids and young adults - and talk of banning/censoring Dr. Seuss books.

Progress.

Just to be clear, I hope this is all good. Just talkin'

I can put 10 Frank Zappa songs up against any Cardi B song, WAP included, and you will agree that the Zappa is more obscene and more sexual

I just never heard those on the radio. (off the top of my head I would say Frank gets 3 songs on the radio...Joe's Garage, Valley Girl and maybe Montana)

okay Disco boy too.

Edited by Bird
booby brown is the most obvious, but Dynamo Hum or Keep It Greasy would do too

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Isn't Darling Nicki by Prince comparable to WAP? Was that song not played on the radio?

I found it uncomfortable at the theatre, that is for sure!

times change...apparently (I have not seen it yet) there is a boner joke in wandavision...is it obscene? Would Van Dyke show have had a boner joke? (Well, Seinfeld or friends would.) But here we have what is ostensibly a family show, certainly was very family friendly otherwise at least, saying boner repeatedly. And not like The Joker! 

20 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Speaking of PMRC, I remember when Dee Snider, Frank Zappa and John Denver testified to Al Gore's congressional panel on censorship.

John Denver testified that his song "Rocky Mountain High" was banned from several radio stations because of the lyrics offending some people. PMRC sucked, so no gov't-mandated ratings.

And today we have Drake, Cardi B, and a bunch of others celebrated for their lyrical obscenities winning top awards, filling the top of the charts and filling the heads of kids and young adults - and talk of banning/censoring Dr. Seuss books.

Progress.

Yeah, almost referred to someone as "Tipper" but my better angels slapped me upside the head.  Had to delete a couple of other replies I posted here too.  Damn do I have a headache.

12 minutes ago, Bird said:

Just to be clear, I hope this is all good. Just talkin'

I can put 10 Frank Zappa songs up against any Cardi B song, WAP included, and you will agree that the Zappa is more obscene and more sexual

I just never heard those on the radio. (off the top of my head I would say Frank gets 3 songs on the radio...Joe's Garage, Valley Girl and maybe Montana)

okay Disco boy too.

EXACTLY!

Zappa was never mainstream chart-topping multi-award-winning stuff. I would never want Zappa to be banned or censored.

It's not the lyrics that I smh at, it's the mainstreaming and widespread celebration of obscenity by our culture that I smh at. Zappa was "fringe" and that's fine. I get it. He has a great cult following and earned it. I don't want anyone banned, I just look at how our mainstream widely popular culture as a whole has stooped and slouched its way into Gomorrah over the many 50+ decades I've been around. 

I don't want anything banned, not Zappa, not Cardi, not Dr. Seuss. I'm only sickened by the widespread appeal and celebration racial and sexual denigration and obscenities and the intentionally-slanted and heavily biased application of today's growing "cancel culture". 

Not really a comics thread, probably never was.

3 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I think this thread is about a bunch of adult white guys worried that their culture is being ruined because they can't celebrate racism via Dr. Suess books. 

Friggin’ white guys :censored:

57 minutes ago, Rip said:

There were strong repercussions 35+ years ago. You could get arrested for producing and singing profane music.
There was some wildly profane stuff made in small nightclubs coming out as early as the late 20's and early 30's.

The MPAA was far more restrictive in the mid 80's on movies. Not here to judge, just here to point out the interesting history.

Society follows certain moral trends of the current zeitgeist.
Sometimes we have an overcorrect. Sometimes we have people that want to push back. It's understandable.

Just an example for folks,I know you're a hep cat sir

9 minutes ago, jcjames said:

I'm only sickened by the widespread appeal and celebration racial and sexual denigration and obscenities

cancel culture is certainly more widespread now but my point all along has been that young people's popular music has most always sickened and offended many older adults. Yes it is more graphic today but so is everything else (sex, violence, fringe behaviors). But the underlying friction has always been there, and likely always will 'cause they are just young whippersnappers after all

Edited by Bird
R&B, the devil's music!!!

48 minutes ago, Bird said:

Body Count is just bad...I like Ice-T the rapper but he cannot sing and the Body Count songs are horrible. Good idea though

I'll stick with New Jack, cause I'm a hustler. [yeah, that is late (lame?) Ice-T, I know]

Ummm,Jay Z turned this into a mega hit.I know this is T reworking an old colab but..

2 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Ummm,Jay Z turned this into a mega hit.I know this is T reworking an old colab but..

the beauty of the world is that rooms exists for 2 separate and opposing truths

Edited by Bird
is that too artsy fartsy of a response?

3 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I think this thread is about a bunch of adult white guys worried that their culture is being ruined because they can't celebrate racism via Dr. Suess books. 

Did you just assume my gender?

I'm just here to lay down some boss trax and hope for boob sightings.

Anyone ever listen to Necro?Pretty out there,my mouth dropped when someone gave me this double lp,my first exposure.

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

Did you just assume my gender?

I'm just here to lay down some boss trax and hope for boob sightings.

Anyone ever listen to Necro?Pretty out there,my mouth dropped when someone gave me this double lp,my first exposure.

In high school I worshipped at the temple of Trent Reznor, with a healthy dose of Deicide and Cannibal Corpse. Today I mostly listen to hip hop, though I catch Nine Inch Nails when they tour every few years. I can confirm that Cardi B did not, in fact, invent edgy lyrics. 

Bewbs. 

I had to Google a bit of history to Dr Seuss. I was just fascinated by green eggs and ham when I was growing up....was racism a fad back in those days? Was it chic to hate? Is Ebay's sensorship no different then certain other geographical conglomerates in former eras. Man what a twisted world we live in. I guess the message 'love unconditionally' got lost in the opinion of the moment

1 minute ago, Ryan. said:

In high school I worshipped at the temple of Trent Reznor, with a healthy dose of Deicide and Cannibal Corpse. Today I mostly listen to hip hop, though I catch Nine Inch Nails when they tour every few years. I can confirm that Cardi B did not, in fact, invent edgy lyrics. 

Bewbs. 

You think Trent or Johnny Cash did a better version of 'Hurt'?