• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How are you coping?
4 4

103 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, adampasz said:

Hindsight is 20-20.

Look towards the future, not the past.

Exactly, even when I get upset sometimes I remind myself I sold the books at current market value. Besides predicting future uptrends there was nothing else I could have done at the time of selling.  If I would have just kept 20 CGC books I would have an extra 200-300K right now. lol It is what it is.

Anytime I get upset about selling these sales:

WWBN #32 CGC 9.8 = $2300

Venom #1 (Black cover) CGC 9.9 = $2600

TMNT #1 CGC 9.8 = 17k (same copy resold for 90k lol)

TMNT #1 CGC 8.5 = 8k > two months later the market takes off and its not worth 17k lol

x2 NM #98 9.9's = $7k and 12k

x Many CGC 9.8's ASM 300, SW #1, etc etc 

......I try remember I made a profit and sold at the current market value and used those funds to buy other comics to rinse and repeat with.  I also have to remember my top tier personal collection Marvel SA books were built from profit from books such as the above, and those are now worth double so it kinda evens out.  Also have to keep in mind to go look at old GPA sales.  Imagine selling an AF 15 CGC 9.2 for 100k?  At the time you are jumping for joy, now you wish you held on.  20/20 hindsight by the OP is correct.

We as people only remember our losses not our wins usually.

Some wins to illustrate: 

FF #5 CGC 5.0 = $1200 into it

AF 15 CGC 4.0 = 4k into it

FF #1 CGC 5.5 = 8k into it

A good stock portfolio is supposed to even out if you stick with it. :wishluck:

Edited by NewWorldOrder

19 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Exactly, even when I get upset sometimes I remind myself I sold the books at current market value. Besides predicting future uptrends there was nothing else I could have done at the time of selling.  If I would have just kept 20 CGC books I would have an extra 200-300K right now. lol It is what it is.

Anytime I get upset about selling these sales:

WWBN #32 CGC 9.8 = $2300

Venom #1 (Black cover) CGC 9.9 = $2600

TMNT #1 CGC 9.8 = 17k (same copy resold for 90k lol)

TMNT #1 CGC 9.5 = 8k > two months later the market takes off and its not worth 17k lol

x2 NM #98 9.9's = $7k and 12k

x Many CGC 9.8's ASM 300, SW #1, etc etc 

......I try remember I made a profit and sold at the current market value and used those funds to buy other comics to rinse and repeat with.  I also have to remember my top tier personal collection Marvel SA books were built from profit from books such as the above, and those are now worth double so it kinda even out.  Also have to keep in mind to go look at old GPA sales.  Imagine selling an AF 15 CGC 9.2 for 100k?  At the time you are jumping for joy, now you wish you held on.  20/20 hindsight by the OP is correct.

We as people only remember our losses not our wins usually.

Some wins to illustrate: 

FF #5 CGC 5.0 = $1200 into it

AF 15 CGC 4.0 = 4k into it

FF #1 CGC 5.5 = 8k into it

A good stock portfolio is supposed to even out if you stick with it. :wishluck:

That's definitely balanced

I'm not sure I ever sold anything at the "right time", Lots of times I'd sell  a book that I paid $100   for @ $110 and it would immediately go to $200 a week later...I had all the Marvel runs at one time, but I  really fell in love with GA and couldn't afford both.. 

So sometimes I want to doh! but a good friend told me this quote a long time ago and I always TRY remind myself of it.

Bernard Baruch

“I never lost money by turning a profit.”

22 hours ago, anstettoman said:

incredible hulk #1 probably a 1.5 condition for $1200 about 5 years ago

Was that for sale at a Marriot show?  Large spine split? If so, I remember that book. 

On 3/16/2021 at 2:55 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

I traded these books for an Xmen 1 5.5. And the NM 98 got sold for 2.5k and the trade was like 3 weeks ago (give or take) a 1.4k profit

20210211_183049.jpg

20210211_183108.jpg

20210211_183130.jpg

20210211_183033.jpg

20210211_182656.jpg

20210211_183002.jpg

20210211_182939.jpg

20210211_182911.jpg

20210211_182832.jpg

20210211_182754.jpg

I would much rather have Galactus/Surfer, Rhino, and Kraven 1st appearances than X-men 1. Just me but I'm a Silver Surfer fan.

4 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I would much rather have Galactus/Surfer, Rhino, and Kraven 1st appearances than X-men 1. Just me but I'm a Silver Surfer fan.

That's easier to replace than a 5.5 #1. I would hate to see such high surfers go, but definitely mor available,  would depend for me on funds....

But you're right @oakman29 of those the surfers are the hardest to let go of

I have 3.5's but still some of the first books I got when coming back to the collection  :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

But you're right @oakman29 of those the surfers are the hardest to let go of

I have 3.5's burns still some of the first books I got when coming back to the collection  :)

I love me some Galactus and Surfer.

9 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I do miss the Spideys I had to give up, and I only just bought the FFs, but a grail came along and I just couldn't pass. I do agree with Addy that the other books are easier to replace and I no it seems ludicrous but I would replace the ASM 15 before any other book

25 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

I get mad about everything, so this just makes it par for the course. 

Patrick 

Yup. Likewise.

I call it obsessive-compulsion.  More like anxiety.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/16/2021 at 3:13 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Biggest regret 

Traded

ASM 129 cgc 4.5 and Silver Surfer #4 cgc 8.0 cream to off white for this statue 

IMG_20210316_141125218.jpg

I’m sorry but I would have to get rid of that statue. There’s no way I could look at that.  I mean it’s a cool statue, and all, but it would be a constant reminder. Thanks for sharing.

On 3/16/2021 at 5:43 PM, thehumantorch said:

I've sent off a box of Magic cards to CardKingdom in Seattle.  Online reviews were quite kind.  You can click through and see what they pay for each card and choose what to send.  So far I've held back my best cards and I've mostly sent cheaper cards and lots of uncommons and commons.  I know my cards aren't mint as I played with them a ton and many have been sitting in boxes with out sleeves for years but it should add up.

Can you PM me about this? I actually have a huge box of unlimited’s that I played with back in the day. Unfortunately for a while I had a roommate who was stealing them from me and he took the Moxes, icy manipulators and the lightning bolts and so I guess most of my stuff is fairly common. But it is vintage even if it’s while used. Trying to decide what to do with them.

I sold 2 big ticket books and only maybe regret one very mildly. The reason only mildly is because I used those funds towards a 9.6 ASM 129 and an X-men 98 9.8 that I wanted for a run. The other major key was to replace it with the same book in lower grade but much better eye appeal.

There was a 3rd smaller key...ASM 316 9.8 yellow label Stan/Mcfarlane. I sold it for more than I paid but nothing compared to where its at. I don't kick myself too much because I decided having a Stan sig on that wasn't a great idea. It was just a clumsy impulse buy so the only regret is the timing of the sale. And I used those funds towards an x-men 97 9.8 so that takes off some sting. 

So unless there's some emergency if you're going to sell a big ticket book might be a good idea to replace it wisely.