• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How are you coping?
4 4

103 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

The question is, value aside, which brings greater enjoyment?  An S tier book (to use the SABCD Tier system)?  Or a bunch of A+B tier books?

Each person will answer differently, but I don't think I could possibly trade my 10 most valuable books for an AF15 because those 10 books bring me joy as well.

I'd like the tier system explained to me please

On 3/16/2021 at 8:21 AM, Westy Steve said:

So a while back (perhaps years ago) you had that key comic that you sold off, happy in the knowledge you were pocketing a few dollars that you could put towards something else that caught your fancy.

Now once in a while you're reminded what a mistake that was.  You see that the price of your former comic has gone to the moon.

How badly does it annoy you?  And if it doesn't, tell me your secret.

It annoys me terribly. I try to ignore it.

On 3/16/2021 at 8:21 AM, Westy Steve said:

So a while back (perhaps years ago) you had that key comic that you sold off, happy in the knowledge you were pocketing a few dollars that you could put towards something else that caught your fancy.

Now once in a while you're reminded what a mistake that was.  You see that the price of your former comic has gone to the moon.

Plenty. So many. But I have had so many winners out of the cheap-o box lately that it all evens out. OK, maybe not all, I need a lot of winners to make up for my sales of B&B 28, TOS 39, FF 5, X-Men 1-4, FF 48, ST 110, X-Men  and a host of others at FMV, or slightly below, rates of 11-16 years ago, not to mention selling 10+ high grade copies of Special Edition 15 for about $30 a pop. Genius!

But let's be serious. I regret thinking bitcoin was an incredibly stupid idea when it began. $100 back then, just for sh*ts and gggiles, could have me retired and sitting on the beach in Tahiti sipping a pina colada right now.

Edited by the blob

6 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'd like the tier system explained to me please

Kids these days will rank things similar to an A thru F grading system.  Dunno where the "S" designation came from, but it indicates the highest rank of something.  Conversely, F is the worst.

Not everything fits so neatly into a 7 level grading system, but in my head AC1, Tec27, AF15, X-Men 1 would fall into "S" tier based on their cost and difficulty to acquire (based on supply/demand).  "A" tier would be the next set of mega keys that are more easily attainable (by comparison).  These would be FF48, IH181, GSX1, TMNT1 and the like.  "B" tier would be cheaper still, maybe your ASM300s or something.  I dunno, I just thought it would be a simple analogy when determining trade value, but it's clear to me that AC1, Tec27, and AF15 stand head and shoulders above the rest.  There's a mythic quality to them.  How you define the rest of a tier list is up to each individual, but I think most would agree in terms of value, it's those 3 and then everything else.

I get pangs of regret for selling off my Showcase 22 last year but I'm using that to fund two to three of the remaining five issues needed to complete my ASM run. :whee:

I'm just happy I haven't needed to dip into the $$ for anything this past year. I will hold off for a bit longer as the market is just :insane: right now.

Actually..I just remembered my BIGGEST BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER..

Around 1988 I was in "love" with some girl...:facepalm: And sold my Amazing  Spiderman collection..# 14 to present..not a giant deal.. sure..

.heres the thing..I brought it to Excalibur comics in Warwick RI.. He offered me $300 for them..not horrible for a dealer in 1988,right? Heres where I 1000% dropped the ball..there was a lower grade AMAZING FANTASY 15 hanging on the wall with a price tag of $300..

I took the money and bought her Christmas present...:tonofbricks:

A few months later..we broke up..

NOT that I would still have that book today...but..:sorry:

On 3/16/2021 at 5:21 AM, Westy Steve said:

"When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me

Speaking words of wisdom- LET IT BE"

1 hour ago, bikesnbuses said:

Actually..I just remembered my BIGGEST BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER..

Around 1988 I was in "love" with some girl...:facepalm: And sold my Amazing  Spiderman collection..# 14 to present..not a giant deal.. sure..

.heres the thing..I brought it to Excalibur comics in Warwick RI.. He offered me $300 for them..not horrible for a dealer in 1988,right? Heres where I 1000% dropped the ball..there was a lower grade AMAZING FANTASY 15 hanging on the wall with a price tag of $300..

I took the money and bought her Christmas present...:tonofbricks:

A few months later..we broke up..

NOT that I would still have that book today...but..:sorry:

cry.gif.bf1949766feec093f8bd4dce8da90379.gif

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Kids these days will rank things similar to an A thru F grading system.  Dunno where the "S" designation came from, but it indicates the highest rank of something.  Conversely, F is the worst.

Not everything fits so neatly into a 7 level grading system, but in my head AC1, Tec27, AF15, X-Men 1 would fall into "S" tier based on their cost and difficulty to acquire (based on supply/demand).  "A" tier would be the next set of mega keys that are more easily attainable (by comparison).  These would be FF48, IH181, GSX1, TMNT1 and the like.  "B" tier would be cheaper still, maybe your ASM300s or something.  I dunno, I just thought it would be a simple analogy when determining trade value, but it's clear to me that AC1, Tec27, and AF15 stand head and shoulders above the rest.  There's a mythic quality to them.  How you define the rest of a tier list is up to each individual, but I think most would agree in terms of value, it's those 3 and then everything else.

Thanks, that is definitely helpful 

I'm navigating all of this in real time these days...since I only collect Marvel SA keys, I'm getting buy offers and am tempted to sell a few off given the rocketing prices.  But buying any nice replacements is going to be ridiculous as well, so I really have to be careful about what goes out the door and why.

I'm very sure, though, that no matter what I decide, I will rue every decision.  "With great comics comes great regretsibility..." (: