• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Video Game Chit Chat Is Welcome!! PlayStation 5/XBox Series X scalping...did you/will you pay inflated prices?
6 6

Scalped PlayStation 5/XBox Series X console  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/will you purchase(d) a PS5 at retailer or scalper price?

• Retailer
    • Scalper
    • I’d rather buy comic books
    • I have better things to do with my hard earned stimulus check

783 posts in this topic

I’ve been a PlayStation gamer since the PS1, so of course I can’t wait to get my hands on the new PS5.  I’m not too anxious to pay these inflated prices from some bot scalper.  I’ll keep trying to get my hands on one through an online event, i.e. Walmart, Amazon, etc.  $1200 for a gaming console???

*UPDATE*  I've now included the XBox Series X in the poll...feel free to chat about XBox too.  I didn't mean to exclude XBox players...it just wasn't relative at the time. (worship)

Edited by Galen130

That's wild.  I can't believe people are still paying $1200 for the PS5 when it doesn't even have any blockbuster launch titles.  Miles is cool but too much like the last Spiderman game.  Spiderman PS4 was awesome but after 50 hours of that, not sure I want what is essentially a DLC as a launch title.  My wife picked a PS5 up for me through Best Buy.  She would continually check every time there was a drop and got lucky so she didn't pay bloated flipper pricing.  There's no way i'd pay more than retail as the PS5 to me just isn't worth it right now.

Never pay a scalper for anything. No market and people wouldn't do it.

It's pretty crazy trying to get a PS5, reminds me when the PS2 was released. 

Doing what I did then, wait till the hype dies down and get one then. I'm thinking probably mid year most likely. I want a deal for an extra controller and charging station. Let the retailers sweat it out a bit and start having to make specials to move the over stock.

Yeah, I agree.  $1200 is insane.  I still play my PS4, so I can play my PS4 games on the new one until something spectacular comes out for the new system.  I’d like to get the Horizon Zero Dawn sequel for the PS5, but I’ll wait to get the console for retail first.  I’m waiting for an Amazon drop that’s supposed to happen this morning. 🤞🤞🤞

3 minutes ago, RearAdmiralSwank said:

Never pay a scalper for anything. No market and people wouldn't do it.

It's pretty crazy trying to get a PS5, reminds me when the PS2 was released. 

Doing what I did then, wait till the hype dies down and get one then. I'm thinking probably mid year most likely. I want a deal for an extra controller and charging station. Let the retailers sweat it out a bit and start having to make specials to move the over stock.

I don’t get overly excited...too old for that .  I figure I probably won’t get my hands on one until late Spring, early Summer.  It’s fun to try though. 😆😆😆

Yeah I've been following drops

All these discord servers full of petulant people. It would be humorous if it wasnt so pathetic. 

I tried for a Wal Mart drop in January, got one in my bin for checkout, went to checkout and told me it was sold out. All within 3 seconds lol

Not worth the headache. The only thing I'm looking forward to is the Yuffie add on for FF7 remake. Games always take awhile release on a new platform, most likely be playing PS Plus games for the first year anyway

1 minute ago, RearAdmiralSwank said:

Yeah I've been following drops

All these discord servers full of petulant people. It would be humorous if it wasnt so pathetic. 

I tried for a Wal Mart drop in January, got one in my bin for checkout, went to checkout and told me it was sold out. All within 3 seconds lol

Not worth the headache. The only thing I'm looking forward to is the Yuffie add on for FF7 remake. Games always take awhile release on a new platform, most likely be playing PS Plus games for the first year anyway

I don’t follow Discord, but I’ve read some rants on Reddit about PS5 scalping.  It’s fun to check when I’m bored. 😂😂😂

Waiting for an Amazon drop, a private seller popped up selling a digital edition for $599...$200 over retail.  Not bad, but still scalping.  Lol

1 hour ago, Galen130 said:

I’ve been a PlayStation gamer since the PS1, so of course I can’t wait to get my hands on the new PS5.  I’m not too anxious to pay these inflated prices from some bot scalper.  I’ll keep trying to get my hands on one through an online event, i.e. Walmart, Amazon, etc.  $1200 for a gaming console???

This is my first water cooler thread AND poll so any feedback is welcome.

I used Wario64 on twitter and thats how I got mine off amazon.  Make sure you follow him and you will score one!

6 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I used Wario64 on twitter and thats how I got mine off amazon.  Make sure you follow him and you will score one!

I don’t use social media much.  Lol.  Don’t have Twitterbook, Instachat, or Faceagram. 🤣😂😆

Edited by Galen130
Corrected myself. Lol

Just now, Galen130 said:

Yeah, like I mentioned in an earlier post, I don’t use social media much.  Lol.  Don’t have Twitterbook, Instachat, or Faceagram. 🤣😂😆

Neither do I but if you want a ps5, you have to get twitter or else you will be behind the ball.  Time is everything.  You can always download twitter, get your ps5 and then delete it.  

Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil .

3 minutes ago, pmWolf said:

I'm not in a hurry....and will probably go Xbox Series X anyhow. 

As of right now, I already have too much to play, and not enough time. 

I know how you feel.  I finally got rid of my Xbox 360...just didn’t want 4 consoles in the house anymore. Lol.  I’ve put a hurting on my games though...plenty of free time lately. 😊😊

I have made the concession that I'd pay $100'ish over retail if I could get one. But most of these scalpers are too greedy (and consumers too anxious) for even that to be a reachable goal. So, I'll just keep waiting until the supply actually meets the demand. Or I get lucky and check in when a new shipment is in. I've hit the Target/Wal-Mart/Best Buy drops here and there and had much the same happen - get it in my cart then the website crashes, or it's sold out, or whatever.

Nothing is worth that kind of aggravation. :P

1 minute ago, xvipah said:

I have made the concession that I'd pay $100'ish over retail if I could get one. But most of these scalpers are too greedy (and consumers too anxious) for even that to be a reachable goal. So, I'll just keep waiting until the supply actually meets the demand. Or I get lucky and check in when a new shipment is in. I've hit the Target/Wal-Mart/Best Buy drops here and there and had much the same happen - get it in my cart then the website crashes, or it's sold out, or whatever.

Nothing is worth that kind of aggravation. :P

Agreed. I haven't been able to add to cart yet.  I'm usually doing something else when a drop happens.  😀

9 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

They are available for about $800-1000 from face book sellers here and I don’t plan on getting one. 

Good call...

Playstation 5 PS5 Available (3PM EST) and XBox Series X (2:30PM EST) at Walmart Walmart will have the Playstation 5 available today starting at 3PM EST, and the XBox Series X available starting at 2:30PM EST. Walmart releases in 10 minute waves....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PlaySt.../363472942

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-P.../493824815

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xbox-S.../443574645

Direct Add to cart links appear to be working again:

PS5 Disc: https://affil.walmart.com/cart/bu...=363472942

PS5 Digital: https://affil.walmart.com/cart/bu...=493824815

XBox Series X: https://affil.walmart.com/cart/bu...=443574645

1 hour ago, Galen130 said:

I know how you feel.  I finally got rid of my Xbox 360...just didn’t want 4 consoles in the house anymore. Lol.  I’ve put a hurting on my games though...plenty of free time lately. 😊😊

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PlayStation-5-Console/363472942?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_X8N3kryyDxyOWb6wUx0Mo3YVUkEVvIR0ER58zM0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_2189989&clickid=X8N3kryyDxyOWb6wUx0Mo3YVUkEVvIR0ER58zM0&sharedid=&affiliates_ad_id=612734&campaign_id=9383

get ready