• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Aliens Vol 1 reach cult status
1 1

288 posts in this topic

On 9/24/2023 at 2:18 AM, Nsschenks said:

Crazy expensive, but just ran across this on eBay and I remembered you mentioning the 2nd print.

Just in case you missed it and are interested!

@Parabellum I hope it's doable 

On 9/25/2023 at 7:52 AM, Parabellum said:

Absolutely not, if it sells for that I will be shocked.  I’d rather not have the book than pay that price.

Yeah definitely a pipe dream on his part. I love the raw hunt myself tbh and almost never buy slabbed books--so much more satisfying when that 9.8 comes back. GL with the search! Bound to be another prime raw copy that'll pop up at some point.

On 9/25/2023 at 9:52 PM, Parabellum said:

Absolutely not, if it sells for that I will be shocked.  I’d rather not have the book than pay that price.

The best realistic result.. I would say <40% of the current asking price.    Make it an even $800.    And that would be a fantastic outcome.

The guy has gone on a fishing trip. 

On 9/26/2023 at 9:59 AM, Parabellum said:
On 9/25/2023 at 4:25 PM, Microchip said:

The best realistic result.. I would say <40% of the current asking price.    Make it an even $800.    And that would be a fantastic outcome.

The guy has gone on a fishing trip. 

Agree on all points my friend.

I'm not sure as I saw a reaction to a post that was then changed, but I think one of the people that asked the going rate or what would you'd pay @Parabellum was the owner of the 9.8 2nd print...

He was asking due to seeing the buzz, which is all good if reasonable and not gouging. I just mention to further inquire about who it is you'd be talking to in a transaction. I'd maybe wait for further confirmation, and who knows? Maybe just being optimistic with a 1 of 1 to check the market, nothing wrong with that :cheers: 

On 9/27/2023 at 1:46 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm not sure as I saw a reaction to a post that was then changed, but I think one of the people that asked the going rate or what would you'd pay @Parabellum was the owner of the 9.8 2nd print...

He was asking due to seeing the buzz, which is all good if reasonable and not gouging. I just mention to further inquire about who it is you'd be talking to in a transaction. I'd maybe wait for further confirmation, and who knows? Maybe just being optimistic with a 1 of 1 to check the market, nothing wrong with that :cheers: 

I think you're right.  And agreed, nothing wrong with getting some feed back.  His book he can do anything he likes with it.   

If you want a sale in a quiet market, the best route would be to enter it a Ccmiclink auction.  The fee's are way less than ebay, thats for sure.

On 9/26/2023 at 5:46 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Wether it’s the same person or not I agree with @Microchip in having no problem with someone getting a good idea of what the fair market value of a rare niche book would be,  especially with Aliens reprints.  This is in all honesty the best thread on the internet to ask said question.  But I just don’t see a collector paying first print prices for a second print.  I am definitely less than a handful of people that pay quite a bit more for these books.  These are for my PC and my PC only.  I didn’t invest into Dark Horse books for the potential resale.

@Izlo If you’re the owner of the lone 9.8 copy I’ll give you $800 for the book.  Send me a PM if you want to do business.

Edited by Parabellum

On 10/4/2023 at 4:14 AM, Parabellum said:
On 9/26/2023 at 10:46 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Wether it’s the same person or not I agree with @Microchip in having no problem with someone getting a good idea of what the fair market value of a rare niche book would be,  especially with Aliens reprints.  This is in all honesty the best thread on the internet to ask said question.  But I just don’t see a collector paying first print prices for a second print.  I am definitely less than a handful of people that pay quite a bit more for these books.  These are for my PC and my PC only.  I didn’t invest into Dark Horse books for the potential resale.

@Izlo If you’re the owner of the lone 9.8 copy I’ll give you $800 for the book.  Send me a PM if you want to do business.

Amen! I said the same as microchip. Except I said the seller might be optimistic, which no harm in that, but wanted to to point out the frame of mind at the time. Perhaps now has been enough time that whomever has had offers and a realistic vision is in place, which I think $800 is fair. :)

No harm no foul!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/29/2023 at 10:20 AM, Parabellum said:

Managers to strike a deal with @Izlo on the Aliens #1 second print.  Interesting back story in the book.  He was the original owner and a pleasure to work with.  I hope he frequents the boards more often.

Now 1 more book to go for Aliens vol 1 and 2 more to go for a complete set of all prints and variants of Dark Horse Aliens, Predator, AVP and Terminator 1988-1992.

Well that is good to hear! I didn't know with all the hubbub "if" it would be easy, but regardless those who "own" are free to get the best they can for the stuff!

I'm just glad that it wasn't an obligation, and that it seems to be agreeable! 

I wonder what made them decide to grade and or etc? A long wait like that as an original owner is some "WOW FACTOR!!" ^^ 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/29/2023 at 4:48 PM, Izlo said:

I hadn't really kept up with comic collecting since 1992. Had sold off much of my favorites around that time and just had around 60 or so comic books like X-Men, and the aliens. Oh, I rebought a nice punisher collection around 2011. But mostly forgot about my books.

My son has been into Pokemon for years and he was like, "those comic books look cool, you should see how much they're worth"

And that sparked a whole lotta activity lol. I was aware of CGC but I've definitely learned a lot in the past few months. I cursed CGC definitively declaring them "bad for comic collectors!" And then this aliens 1 2nd print CGC 9.8 graded thing happens.  I was like.. "okay, I was wrong lol"

There's definitely an interesting dimension that CGC brings to collecting and I'm happy to be learning and participating in collecting again.

It was quite a rollercoaster 🎢

I started out being really excited. I figured I had a high grade book. I also had totally forgotten #1 and #2 in my collection were 2nd printings. I was thinking I had a few hundred bucks or possibly several thousand for #1 first print.  As I was preparing to send the books off I start inspecting and "OMG 2nd printing... Ohhh that's right!". All the memories came back lol.

I was sunk. Figured I might not have much worth grading. It's funny. I didn't understand there just weren't any 9.8s out there when I was trying to figure fair market value.  I knew about census but hadn't bothered to look it up. But, there was some data for 9.6 and lower grade sales and that market looked like it could possibly be worth it.

So about three weeks after I sent the books to CGC I checked status and saw the grades on all my books. 9.8. I was stunned. And then it clicked. I did a search in census for my first time. Found nothing.  They update weekly and so the next week I saw my 9.8 there.

Then I was like... Great, now I have to navigate the market. And that's what led to some probing posts here and on Reddit. I figured it would be worth some percentage of what first printings go for. But then I wasn't really sure of the significance of being the only 9.8. So I did some test listings on eBay

Had some nice chats with Parabellum. Teetered back and forth on a decision. Mulled it or over for another week or so and came to an agreement.

The books survived household goods shipping when I moved from one state to another.  That happened more than once lol

I'm happy to be collecting again. I like the idea that part of collecting is selling and that is something I'm working on. 

I'm still an aliens fan but as a collector I'm interested in new series/originals and keys. I like wolverine, iceman, Spider-Man, Batman. I thought the American psycho sequel was interesting. I recently found a high grade wolverine volume 2 #27 at a LCS.  So that's pretty much where my head is at

Sorry for my late response, dinner and watching the collectors call on the metv channel that also hosts svengoolie. Don't have cable so it's one of the few collector shows out there.

Awesome that it worked out. I had a feeling it might have had some attachment for you other than being the highest graded, and kudos for that being true. Not a first print payday I guess, but if it puts love and excitement into a hobby that you can share with certain Pokemon collectors as well. Ahem! Well that's priceless.

I too have that bond with my brother as we're seven years apart, I've optioned to eventually send all my brothers halos to CGC for grading, just haven't done it. He does have the Charizard but it is the error with the fight symbol lol

I'm still trying to see what errors and values are more less worth it. A shared interest brought us also to comic con every year.

Glad to hear that there is a bonding over what otherwise might seem simple things. A lot of our time and effort has been put in, glad to see fruit of it though!  ^^

Edited by ADAMANTIUM