• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Aliens Vol 1 reach cult status
1 1

288 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2023 at 9:19 PM, Parabellum said:

$2800-3500 is my guess.

Indeed, that $7500 sale was a bizarre outlier, which I believe lead to the subsequent $5k (or thereabouts) sales. Being winter, and the market slowing down in general, I'd say the real value of the book is right around $3k, give or take a couple hundred depending on venue, time of day, what the bidders had for lunch, etc. $3k seems reasonable for a "true value" on this book. As I mentioned before, there is a new theatrical Alien film coming next summer, as well as an FX series to follow, so Alien will suddenly be back in the spotlight in a major way. However, at this point I think the buy-in is too prohibitively high to see much speculation on the title, so I think the people buying them are the people who REALLY want them, and are willing to pay up.

On 12/22/2023 at 12:55 PM, Parabellum said:

I would consider a decimal point move to $850.

Ditto.

With a new book, high grade copy, the prices don't go straight to the market high point.  It takes several sales before the upper benchmark is determined.   This guy is guessing at $8,500, hoping he finds a fish.   But with no previous sales supporting any kind of price point, I can't see anyone diving in on this book.   

It definitely has strong collector appeal, lets see how things go.   

After reading the ASM# 252 thread.   Be on the lookout for sales of the book, that are not completed. 

On 12/20/2023 at 9:27 AM, Parabellum said:

Interesting, didn’t think CGC would grade this.  Guarantee this is tough in 9.8, but not $8500 tough.

IMG_2260.png

Wow, yeah, i just assumed they'd never grade it, so I never sent mine in. Unstapled, newsprint preview, seems like an odd thing for them to grade. I don't really trust their grading these days, so I guess mine will stay raw.

Has anyone come across this error for Aliens 1 before?  Area 88, 25 was printed at the same time and the below is that interior plus the cover to Aliens 1.

Aliens 1 May 1988 CGC 9.2 Manufacturing Error - ”Manufactured with interior of “Area 88 #25””

IMG_0560.jpeg