• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Aliens Vol 1 reach cult status
1 1

288 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2023 at 5:21 PM, Microchip said:

Agreed.

Sets would look like this...

1.  Just the straight mini series, nothing else.   

1a. The mini series with all the extra printing version's.

2. The mini series plus the DHP issues, and the Amazing Heroes book(?)  kinda 1988-1990.

3. 1988-1992, all the Aliens series in that period, the DHP Aliens and Predator issues, and the Amazing Heroes book.

I was the one that added the 1988-1992 set.  I can request to add the DHP books.  There is a DHP: Aliens registry set.  The Aliens, Predator and AVP (1988-1990) set has all the DHP issues.

On 6/30/2023 at 3:30 PM, Parabellum said:

I was the one that added the 1988-1992 set.  I can request to add the DHP books.  There is a DHP: Aliens registry set.  The Aliens, Predator and AVP (1988-1990) set has all the DHP issues.

I'm wondering if we'd get ore people interested in registering their set, if there was a straight 1988 mini series set, no extra printings included, as well.    

To my thinking the number of set looks light next to the popularity of the movies/franchise/market price of the top books etc etc.  It looks really under cooked.  I'm left thinking some people will just want the no thrills set issues 1-6.   

On 6/30/2023 at 1:30 AM, Parabellum said:

Oh cool! That makes total sense. I honestly hadn't looked at the registry in years, so I didn't know there was another set, that's really great!

Here is current photo of my Aliens 1988 9.8 set.

#1 first, third, fourth, and x2 fifth prints (missing second print)

#2 first, second, third, fourth prints (complete)

#3 first, second, third prints (complete)

#4 first, second prints (complete)

#5 first, second prints (missing third print)

#6 first print (complete, there was a rumored second print of this book but that has been proven to not exist)

I have a first print of the Trade Paperback (9.8 candidate) that is off to joeypost for a press and then CGC.

IMG_2124.jpeg

On 8/26/2023 at 6:20 AM, Parabellum said:

I would be very happy as well!!  And you got the updated label, congrats!  Was this an original copy you got when it came out?

No I wish I bought this fresh from the publishers! I got this from one of my local comic shop’s some time ago.

On 8/26/2023 at 11:27 PM, Parabellum said:

#6 first print (complete, there was a rumored second print of this book but that has been proven to not exist)

I have a first print of the Trade Paperback (9.8 candidate) that is off to joeypost for a press and then CGC.

IMG_2124.jpeg

I have to say, it's one of the few sets I've seen where I thought 'why bother, this guys nailed it' :facepalm:^^:violin:

On 8/26/2023 at 4:19 PM, Parabellum said:

Thanks buddy!

I remember several years back, hard to believe it's been that long, maybe five years? There was I think a thread before this one?

Back when "a" thread started or was started, talking about these sets I was such a minimalist in the fact that I'm happy with any printing. I obtained it in NM, for these at least and I have a 9.4 1st, which looked like I way over paid at the time and for the keepsake of it! That mentioned, I  hope the values this time stick. 9.8 has been hard money wise and to find for so long, that I have deep respect for having come this far.  :)lol edit thanks @Parabellum got to proof read when it's so hot outside.

35ul73.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/26/2023 at 9:27 AM, Parabellum said:

IMG_2124.jpeg

impressive, most impressive...

Is #1 2nd print hard to find? 2nd print was my reader copy in 1988...

On 9/1/2023 at 10:06 PM, pubmonkey said:

impressive, most impressive...

Is #1 2nd print hard to find? 2nd print was my reader copy in 1988...

Thank you!  It’s been a long road (since 2016).  Finding a copy is easy, the challenge is finding it in high grade.  As of now there aren’t any copies graded at 9.8.  The raw copies I find are not 9.8 candidates.

Edited by Parabellum

On 9/1/2023 at 4:43 PM, Parabellum said:

Thank you!  It’s been a long road (since 2016).  Finding a copy is easy, the challenge is finding it in high grade.  As of now there aren’t any copies graded at 9.8.  The raw copies I find are not 9.8 candidates.

What do you think a fair value would be for that missing #1 2nd print in 9.8 condition?

On 9/14/2023 at 8:40 PM, Izlo said:

What do you think a fair value would be for that missing #1 2nd print in 9.8 condition?

Value for the average collector $300, for me its a different story.  I paid $500 for a 9.8 third print (only copy on the census) so I would be willingly to pay more since its a second print.  

Was thinking of letting my Aliens 1 9.8 go, but a copy just sold for a little over $3K on eBay. Seems like a pretty weak sale considering one sold for $7500 in an April Heritage auction. Was this $3K sale an outlier, or has the book just gone down that much in the span of several months? Two 9.8’s have been sitting on eBay for just under $5K for a little while also, so that’s probably not helping. Anyway, think I’ll hold off. See if it creeps back up.

On 9/17/2023 at 10:07 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Was thinking of letting my Aliens 1 9.8 go, but a copy just sold for a little over $3K on eBay. Seems like a pretty weak sale considering one sold for $7500 in an April Heritage auction. Was this $3K sale an outlier, or has the book just gone down that much in the span of several months? Two 9.8’s have been sitting on eBay for just under $5K for a little while also, so that’s probably not helping. Anyway, think I’ll hold off. See if it creeps back up.

I would hold on to it, now isn’t the time to sell.  I personally think the $7500 sale was the outlier.  I’d put this book between $3-4K, currently.  The updated label hasn’t caught up to the market yet.  It’s possible that with the new first appearances added the value may increase.

Edited by Parabellum

On 9/17/2023 at 6:07 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

The $3k sale had 3 bids, $2,500 starting price.   Thats a hard start to an auction, even for this book.  

If in doubt, simply go with HA.