• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Aliens Vol 1 reach cult status
1 1

288 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2023 at 12:25 PM, Parabellum said:

Who added Amazing Heroes 139 to the Aliens vol 1 registry set?  That book has zero place there, it has nothing to do with Aliens vol 1 storyline.  It is just an interview with the artist and author.

That's so weird. I know I try to get copies of Amazing Heroes and Comics Interview if it's Grendel related but I'd be pissed too if those issues were included in the registry set.

:news: :news: :news:

Thanks the hard work of our fellow boardy here in Melbourne @Beige there are changes to the labelling of Aliens #1.

Aliens #1 (1988) - Hicks, Newt, Frost, Vasquez, Drake, Hudson, Crowe

Newt's Tale #1: Gorman, Burke, Weirzbowski, Dietrich and Apone.

Newt's Tales #2 is the 1st app of Bishop 

Kudos to @CGC Mike as well for making it all come together.

:golfclap:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.2206f69b37a694d44e22b0b3d5525757.jpeg

s-l1600(1)1.thumb.jpg.8f0fbc89b106097e804c21ca77e4b016.jpeg

Edited by Microchip

On 6/25/2023 at 9:39 PM, Microchip said:

:news: :news: :news:

Thanks the hard work of our fellow boardy here in Melbourne @Beige there are changes to the labelling of Aliens #1.

Aliens #1 (1988) - Hicks, Newt, Frost, Vasquez, Drake, Hudson, Crowe

Newt's Tale #1: Gorman, Burke, Weirzbowski, Dietrich and Apone.

Newt's Tales #2 is the 1st app of Bishop 

Kudos to @CGC Mike as well for making it all come together.

:golfclap:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.2206f69b37a694d44e22b0b3d5525757.jpeg

s-l1600(1)1.thumb.jpg.8f0fbc89b106097e804c21ca77e4b016.jpeg

I might have to reholder some aliens books. :banana:

On 6/26/2023 at 9:07 PM, Beige said:

@Parabellum @F For Fake were prime movers in this - equal kudos to them as well please!

You're too kind, I didn't do much other than stand around and look pretty. But I'm glad folks are benefitting from it!

On 6/24/2023 at 12:25 PM, Parabellum said:

Who added Amazing Heroes 139 to the Aliens vol 1 registry set?  That book has zero place there, it has nothing to do with Aliens vol 1 storyline.  It is just an interview with the artist and author.

Yeah, that's odd. Definitely wasn't me, I don't even have a slabbed copy. It does have a unique Mark Nelson cover, and there are some folks who will tell you that it's the first appearance/preview of Aliens, but there have been several books to flirt with that distinction over the years, so I wouldn't pay it much mind. So yeah...I'd say it should come off the list, but what do I know? It's a cool Alien tie-in for sure, but it's not even a comic book, it's a magazine. 

On 6/27/2023 at 10:37 PM, F For Fake said:

Yeah, that's odd. Definitely wasn't me, I don't even have a slabbed copy. It does have a unique Mark Nelson cover, and there are some folks who will tell you that it's the first appearance/preview of Aliens, but there have been several books to flirt with that distinction over the years, so I wouldn't pay it much mind. So yeah...I'd say it should come off the list, but what do I know? It's a cool Alien tie-in for sure, but it's not even a comic book, it's a magazine. 

I remember when this book came out, it was instantly a hot item, and elusive from the get go.

For me, the book has it''s own story and appeal, it stands up on its own, irrespective of the minor attempts at the similar.

Edited by Microchip

On 6/24/2023 at 11:25 AM, Parabellum said:

That would be the dude who has the only other set besides yours listed in Aliens (1988-1992).

On 6/24/2023 at 11:25 AM, Parabellum said:

The request was made in the 2023 I WANTED THIS TO BE ADDED TO A SET thread on 5/31 and added by wytshus. I’d put in a request to have it removed when the thread unlocks.

On 6/28/2023 at 1:33 AM, Microchip said:

Do the DH issues get a look in the 1988-to-1992 set?

Do you mean the Dark Horse Presents issues? No. Originally it was just the 6 issues of the original mini-series. Eventually they added the various printings of those issues as well. And that's all it should be. If they want to create a general Aliens (Dark Horse) set that would include the original mini, the subsequent series, DHP, and this magazine, etc that would be fine. But including the Amazing Heroes in a set that doesn't include any other books just doesn't make much sense.

Edited by F For Fake

PS: I'd enjoy seeing a general DH Aliens registry set, to stick in the random one shots and miniseries and spin-offs, under one umbrella. That would be fun. But this set should just be for the original miniseries.

On 6/29/2023 at 3:49 AM, F For Fake said:

PS: I'd enjoy seeing a general DH Aliens registry set, to stick in the random one shots and miniseries and spin-offs, under one umbrella. That would be fun. But this set should just be for the original miniseries.

The 1988-1992 set includes everything Aliens in that time period, I would have thought it would include the relevant Dark Horse Presents issues inside the same dates?

Issue 24, sits very early on the Aliens 1st series run, in the middle of the 2nd issue printings, and is the 'origin' issue.

Maybe another set could have appeal, there's a lot of ways to cut things.   There are way more DHP, and Alien's v Predator sets currently.   Aliens could benefit from broadening the set options for people.

I'm kinda surprised there's not more Aliens sets on the registry actually.

On 6/28/2023 at 8:24 PM, Microchip said:

The 1988-1992 set includes everything Aliens in that time period, I would have thought it would include the relevant Dark Horse Presents issues inside the same dates?

Issue 24, sits very early on the Aliens 1st series run, in the middle of the 2nd issue printings, and is the 'origin' issue.

Maybe another set could have appeal, there's a lot of ways to cut things.   There are way more DHP, and Alien's v Predator sets currently.   Aliens could benefit from broadening the set options for people.

I'm kinda surprised there's not more Aliens sets on the registry actually.

Oh cool, so there's already a general Aliens set? I hadn't checked, but it would make sense if the DHP issues were included there, sure. The set we're talking about is the 1988 miniseries set, which has suddenly had the Amazing Heroes book added. Doesn't make sense. I wonder if the intention was to add it to the 1988-92 set you've mentioned, and instead they put it in the wrong place? So, yeah, a general DH Aliens set would be great, and it should absolutely include the DHP stuff. If it's already there, terrific! Regardless, the miniseries set should just be for the mini, and those issues could also be included in a macro set.

On 6/29/2023 at 9:57 PM, F For Fake said:

Oh cool, so there's already a general Aliens set? I hadn't checked, but it would make sense if the DHP issues were included there, sure. The set we're talking about is the 1988 miniseries set, which has suddenly had the Amazing Heroes book added. Doesn't make sense. I wonder if the intention was to add it to the 1988-92 set you've mentioned, and instead they put it in the wrong place? So, yeah, a general DH Aliens set would be great, and it should absolutely include the DHP stuff. If it's already there, terrific! Regardless, the miniseries set should just be for the mini, and those issues could also be included in a macro set.

Agreed.

Sets would look like this...

1.  Just the straight mini series, nothing else.   

1a. The mini series with all the extra printing version's.

2. The mini series plus the DHP issues, and the Amazing Heroes book(?)  kinda 1988-1990.

3. 1988-1992, all the Aliens series in that period, the DHP Aliens and Predator issues, and the Amazing Heroes book.

Edited by Microchip