• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Aliens Vol 1 reach cult status
1 1

288 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2022 at 8:04 AM, chrisco37 said:

Yesterday was "Alien Day"  4/26, so bumping this thread (a day late).  

Alien Day has become such a bummer. The first couple of years there were so many great exclusives and releases, but now? Nothin'. I remember before, I could hardly keep up with all of the stuff from Mondo, NECA, etc. Good times. Hopefully the new FX series will revitalize interest in the brand.

On 5/22/2022 at 1:14 PM, Parabellum said:

I agree(thumbsu

Out of all my Aliens sets that one is my favorite.

I keep in touch with Den Beauvais, wonder if I could talk him into a signing one of these years 

Speaking of, who is one of the main SS facilitators? 

Who was it that got the cast signing with the Ripley reissue cover?

Edited by The Meta

So after perusing the signature forum for a bit, I think Kevlar might be our guy

Now, there is no way I can afford to do something like this right now, but, I wonder if we can put some bugs in ears and possibly make this happen

I know there are quite a few Alien fans on the boards, what do you guys think?

I'd be going for a 4 book set myself or maybe Den could be persuaded to do a special cover for issue 1 or something, like the Aliens cast and Weaver special book Celebrity Authentics did

Edited by The Meta

As I said, I'm not really a sig series fan, but I'd definitely consider that.  I don't currently have a copy of V2 (sold them all), but I'd get one for a signing like the one in this thread.  And I'd send my Vol 1 #1 in for it as well if someone can make that happen.  I just think that's the coolest book ever.  

I'm not a signature series guy, so I wouldn't be interested personally, but if I can do anything to support you guys in getting it done, let me know! Then again, if all of the cool kids are doing it, I can probably be persuaded. Peer pressure and all that. ;)

On 5/20/2022 at 8:41 AM, The Meta said:

Anyone else wishing this series would take off like Turtles? lol

Following up more seriously about your earlier question, my personal wishes aside, I am curious about the future potential for the property. At this time, most rising comic values seem to be associated with related media tie-ins. Movies, television shows, etc. Alien has had a dedicated fan base ever since 1979, but that base has never been as large as the one for, say, Star Wars, Trek, etc. It's definitely a lower rung on the sci-fi fandom. To be sure, there's a following. We've had several feature films, hundreds of comics, novels, games, toys, etc. The fans are there.

The comics stayed largely dormant until recent years. We saw some slow movement in price in the earlier issues, but nothing major until the entire comic market went bananas two years ago. Suddenly many people realized that while Alien had been an enduring franchise for decades, the first comic appearance was relatively rare compared to its sci-fi peeres, and prices went crazy balls. This dovetailed with the fact that Marvel had taken up the license, and was going to start printing new Alien comics. It was a perfect storm that brought renewed interest to the franchise.

However, prices stabilized, and then declined (though not to the levels they were pre-hype), and now we have to wonder just how much of a ceiling the books will have.

The test will be the Alien TV series, as that's the next big media tie-in. With no film on the horizon, the future of Alien rests on the success of the tv series. Response to that should tell us what to expect from these books down the road.

As I said above, I hope they remain cheap enough that I can keep hoovering them up, but it's always nice to know your money didn't get flushed down the toilet.

On 5/23/2022 at 3:00 PM, F For Fake said:

Following up more seriously about your earlier question, my personal wishes aside, I am curious about the future potential for the property. At this time, most rising comic values seem to be associated with related media tie-ins. Movies, television shows, etc. Alien has had a dedicated fan base ever since 1979, but that base has never been as large as the one for, say, Star Wars, Trek, etc. It's definitely a lower rung on the sci-fi fandom. To be sure, there's a following. We've had several feature films, hundreds of comics, novels, games, toys, etc. The fans are there.

The comics stayed largely dormant until recent years. We saw some slow movement in price in the earlier issues, but nothing major until the entire comic market went bananas two years ago. Suddenly many people realized that while Alien had been an enduring franchise for decades, the first comic appearance was relatively rare compared to its sci-fi peeres, and prices went crazy balls. This dovetailed with the fact that Marvel had taken up the license, and was going to start printing new Alien comics. It was a perfect storm that brought renewed interest to the franchise.

However, prices stabilized, and then declined (though not to the levels they were pre-hype), and now we have to wonder just how much of a ceiling the books will have.

The test will be the Alien TV series, as that's the next big media tie-in. With no film on the horizon, the future of Alien rests on the success of the tv series. Response to that should tell us what to expect from these books down the road.

As I said above, I hope they remain cheap enough that I can keep hoovering them up, but it's always nice to know your money didn't get flushed down the toilet.

I was very surprised at the bump for issue 1, however I was equally surprised to see how rare these books are in high grade

More than grateful I managed to pick up a set in 9.8

On 5/23/2022 at 5:04 PM, The Meta said:

More than grateful I managed to pick up a set in 9.8

I conquer with this statement.

@F For Fakebrings up a good point about the duality of collecting.  You would like to see a return on what you purchased but at the same time you want to keep buying at reasonable prices.  I’ve fortunately lucked out on a few books that take care of my profit margin so having the Aliens, Predator and Terminator books maintain their current value doesn’t “hurt” me at all and allows me to keep collecting them without hesitation.  If I was in a jam you would find me sleeping in an alley next to 6 BCW CGC boxes full of graded Dark Horse books, 🤣.

Edited by Parabellum