• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Comic books dead or dying?
5 5

339 posts in this topic

Just now, Matty B said:

Well aren't you a loving father 

Love doesn’t always mean enabling. If he’s being productive he can stay. Right now he’s in the gate program and an honors student so I don’t see a problem. He told me he wanted to quit gate because it’s too hard. I told him he plays Fortnite 6 hours a day and I never see him study, and life will be a whole lot harder if he strives for mediocrity. We live in a bad neighborhood but he’s a transfer student in a much more affluent neighborhood for their better schools. It’s not easy getting him to school every morning living where the bus isn’t an option and it is an hour round trip. If he’s not in gate he can go to school here. I’ll do everything I can to make sure he succeeds in life, but he has to try as well. If he wants to just chill out in his 20’s he can do it on someone else’s couch. To me that’s love 

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

Love doesn’t always mean enabling. If he’s being productive he can stay. Right now he’s in the gate program and an honors student so I don’t see a problem. He told me he wanted to quit gate because it’s too hard. I told him he plays Fortnite 6 hours a day and I never see him study, and life will be a whole lot harder if he strives for mediocrity. We live in a bad neighborhood but he’s a transfer student in a much more affluent neighborhood for their better schools. It’s not easy getting him to school every morning living where the bus isn’t an option and it is an hour round trip. If he’s not in gate he can go to school here. I’ll do everything I can to make sure he succeeds in life, but he has to try as well. If he wants to just chill out in his 20’s he can do it on someone else’s couch. To me that’s love 

It was sarcasm! I am sure you a genuinely good father 

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Not a fan of GATE-I've taught several GATE classes and the students can be really lazy.  They say "We dont have to do any work we're already smart we're in GATE".  

6 minutes ago, Matty B said:

It was sarcasm! I am sure you a genuinely good father 

The only thing I will say is to teach your kid to keep their mouths shut in college. I learned the hard way that being different or even going against the professor will result in either a bad grade or them making your life hell. And people now a days are extremely sensitive so even messing around like a normal dude will result in him being the black sheep of the class. Being a black sheep I also would know means no one else helps you in group projects and they purposely ignore you. His best bet if he does go to college is just go to class make some friends but stay under the radar! Someone as experience with the new way of things. I said Oriental in my history class when discussing the rape of nanjing and dear God. They looked at me like I was Racist even tho I am part Oriental.

Edited by Matty B

5 minutes ago, Matty B said:

What are you doing 😂😂 

He can do what he wants!

13 minutes ago, kav said:

Not a fan of GATE-I've taught several GATE classes and the students can be really lazy.  They say "We dont have to do any work we're already smart we're in GATE".  

He still manages to get straight A’s but he doesn’t try at all. Once in a while he will get a bad grade on an assignment because he rushed through it and didn’t read the directions properly but he always makes it up, and each time I tell him slow down and do your work more carefully, but he still just bangs it out. I don’t harp on his grades too much. He’s one of the best students in school. But I know school is going to get much harder when he hits high school and I’m trying to warn him

2 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

To be fair, a lot of people make good money playing games these days. :cool:

If he can pull that off that’s fine. Like many kids his age he has always dreamed of being a Youtuber. I offered to help him set up a corner of his room with his computer and a webcam and a nice backdrop and get him some easy to use video editing software and he said nevermind, he thought he could just prop his phone up against the wall and record himself playing games and post it with zero lighting or backdrop or editing or good audio or even brushing his hair and getting out of his pajamas 😂

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

If he can pull that off that’s fine. Like many kids his age he has always dreamed of being a Youtuber. I offered to help him set up a corner of his room with his computer and a webcam and a nice backdrop and get him some easy to use video editing software and he said nevermind, he thought he could just prop his phone up against the wall and record himself playing games and post it with zero lighting or backdrop or editing or good audio or even brushing his hair and getting out of his pajamas 😂

Even that still works for some.. Tsoukalos_NOLA_Comic_Con_2012_A.JPG.696c9f44aea720c54fc6ab362b4eb20b.JPG

6 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

He still manages to get straight A’s but he doesn’t try at all. Once in a while he will get a bad grade on an assignment because he rushed through it and didn’t read the directions properly but he always makes it up, and each time I tell him slow down and do your work more carefully, but he still just bangs it out. I don’t harp on his grades too much. He’s one of the best students in school. But I know school is going to get much harder when he hits high school and I’m trying to warn him

As someone who largely coasted through school, I can confirm it gets even harder once college starts.