• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF5-So you’re telling me theres a chance....for a 1.0
1 1

37 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, nebyort said:

My question is hypothetical because i have zero intention to crack and resub but if i did is a 1.0 possible (its rough but complete)

CGC grades books with tape repair as if the tape was no present, although the tape is helping hold the book together and making it easier to handle without causing more damage it cannot improve a grade.

According to the Grading Standards...

FR 1.0 may have...  "spine split can extend up to 2/3 the length of the book".

PR 0.5 may have..."ragged spines or a complete, book-length split".

Some folks Hate/Despise tape, I have numerous books with tape repair and it does not bother me, I never collected for monetary value or investment, I collected to have/read/enjoy the books I grew up with in the 60's and Well Loved books are not an issue for me.

There are a lot of folks that do not own an F.F. 5 in any grade and would Love to have your copy, so...

Enjoy Your Book!!!

In what scenerio would a comic sent in for a pre-screen press and clean and reholder would the pre screener decide to drop the grade and then reholder the book? My understanding is that a pre-screener would decide the book would not benefit from a press and clean and then just reholder it. My book was dropped and then reholdered. Can anyone give me some input on this that knows specifly why this was done. 

It DID NOT suffer any damage. I wanted the new asm character label. The holder and book  were in great shape when sent to them. Unless damaged in transit I can't see any reason why they would do that. I don't use CBCS any more because of the same problem. I called and emailed several times and spoke to people that worked there and they flat out refused to answer that direct question." Why was this book degraded when I paid for the pre-screen". Only vaguely saying the graders have the final word.

On 4/13/2021 at 1:07 PM, nebyort said:

Appreciate it 

first post of mine thats had toxic replies but thats ok!

My question is hypothetical because i have zero intention to crack and resub but if i did is a 1.0 possible (its rough but complete)

0.5 seems pretty harsh given that it's largely complete.  

I agree with others that 0.5 is very harsh for this book. I've seen books with completely split covers in 1.8 (for GA) and 1.5 (for SA). Granted, their covers weren't as tattered. I think this should be a 1.0 to bring it out of the grade where completely destroyed or incomplete books reside. If you're planning to sell it, I think potential buyers will also pay a premium over typical 0.5 prices.

I would normal agree with most and say 0.5 is bang on, but after seeing a slew of other books I honestly don't know anymore. 

I personally sold an ASM #1 that was looking the same as yours and I sold it as a 0.5 (full spine split, tape every where, literally falling apart with only my comic collector willpower holding it together)...months later the buyer informed it came back as 1.5. I really don't know what to say anymore so sure, 1.0 for yours :D

Easily looks like a 1.0 to me. I've had books in worse condition that were a 1.0 or a 1.5. Of course as all ebay sellers say "I am not a professional grader."

They also say "@WOW!!! LOOK!! Never read!!! Unpressed!!!! MOVIE COMING SOON!!!".  But I don't think most of that applies... other than the movie part. 

I have seen 0.5 copies that, despite all the flaws, I would not mind owning.

I have seen 1.0 copies that appear way worse but because of certain flaws, they make it to 1.0

Usually people take the highest grade but when it comes to 0.5-1.8, I would think it is all about presentation first. Like that 1.0 Blue Bolt is awesome looking. Would love that!

2 minutes ago, LoST Ups said:

The entire bottom left corner is missing, affecting every page and the covers. 

And of course a book can be a 0.5 without being incomplete.

2c

That's not what they mean by missing pieces. That's usually reserved for remainder copies, things like that.

Poor0.5

A heavily defaced collectible with a number major defects. Some pieces will also be missing.

39 minutes ago, LoST Ups said:

That's the dumbest grade description I've ever read. First of all it speaks in absolutes and you should never speak in absolutes. Secondly those are not CGC's grading standards. At lastly my standards are derived from Overstreet.

It also doesn't help your assertion since it only says "pieces will be missing" and your book is beyond just pieces missing.

"That's not what they mean by missing pieces. That's usually reserved for remainder copies, things like that"

Where did you read this? It's not in the definition you posted.

Those are LITERALLY CGC's description https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/grading-scale/

Second, CGC, or most now, don't care about Overstreets standards. Overstreet is, for the most part, useless.

Remainder copies have part of their cover missing, which falls under the "pieces will be missing." Guess you not know what a remainder copy is?

I've only had graded thousands of books since 2000, and am a Charter Member at CGC, but what do I know? You read Overstreet.

41 minutes ago, LoST Ups said:

You're naive if you think that those are their standards. CGC does not tell the public their grading standards.

First off I'm obviously talking about the Grading Guide which is not useless and includes CGC and secondly CGC's grading standards are based on Overstreet's standards.

Me not know? lol but that's a piece missing from the cover, not from the book like yours.

Now you're an elitist too lolYou obviously have a lot more to learn so keep at it (thumbsu

No, but I know what gets a 1.0 and what gets a .5 

All grading standards are similar, but have their differences. Hence why what you think is a .5 is actually a 1.0. BTW, look up "guide.' 

Not all pieces missing is the same. Marvel chipping is pieces missing. Do you know what that is? :wink:

You been here since Wednesday, so figured you were from the Pokemon section and you got lost. Tried to educate, but.... Aren't you supposed to be waiting in line outside Target?  lol