• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else experience a price tier bump based solely on the grade CGC gave it?
2 2

35 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Darkwing7869 said:

My UF4 got bumped from a Modern Tier to an Express Tier. Express tier is for books between 1001 and 3000. The ONLY grade of UF4 that fits within those two values is a 9.8. A 9.6 and lower is worth less than 1000. So, the only justification for CGC to upgrade my copy of UF4 all the way up to Express tier is if it specifically graded at a 9.8. Who decides if it gets a 9.8? CGC themselves.

Ah yes, the rarely-seen "CGC graded my book too high!"

So, what is the highest grade for UF4 that technically qualifies for the Modern tier? hm

13 hours ago, Darkwing7869 said:

My UF4 got bumped from a Modern Tier to an Express Tier. Express tier is for books between 1001 and 3000. The ONLY grade of UF4 that fits within those two values is a 9.8. A 9.6 and lower is worth less than 1000. So, the only justification for CGC to upgrade my copy of UF4 all the way up to Express tier is if it specifically graded at a 9.8. Who decides if it gets a 9.8? CGC themselves.

And you're salty because...?

About 12 years or so ago, I submitted the Detroit Trolley copy of Action #28.  I put it in a tier based on a 5.5 grade.  CGC called me up and said it graded a 7.0 and asked for more money.  I gladly paid their ask over the phone.  

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

About 12 years or so ago, I submitted the Detroit Trolley copy of Action #28.  I put it in a tier based on a 5.5 grade.  CGC called me up and said it graded a 7.0 and asked for more money.  I gladly paid their ask over the phone.  

When I got the email about the added charge I realized my Star Wars 1 got a 9.8 instead of a 9.6. I was thrilled my comic entered a higher tier and they could have charged me triple and I'd have still been happy.

10 hours ago, shadroch said:

I wonder what they would do if you refused the upcharge? knock the grade down? Not release the book?

I'm only speculating, but the most likely result is CGC holding onto the book until grading is paid for. 

The terms and conditions - which submitters agree to - state CGC can move a book to a higher priced tier if they determine it is worth more. 

I personally err on the low side as far as submissions and value goes.  If you send a book in at $10K and walk through and CGC finds color touch  and trimming so your book is really only worth $3K they won't be issuing any refunds because it could have gone express tier.  If they upcharge that's fine.  I'd rather have an occasional upcharge than an occasional paid way too much. 

Insurance isn't so much a concern for me since I - like many others - have private shipping insurance. 

About this whole "pay more for a better grade" thing, I never saw it that way. Because the common denominator with tiers is not the worth of the book, it's the speed of the service.

To save on shipping (to Canada), I have often put books that were worth less than other books within the same tier so that they could be graded at the same time and be sent back to me at the same time. Just like how many card collectors are now sending their cards through higher tiers than Bulk even though their cards are different values, they just don't want to wait as long and miss the market window for profit, which could drop at any moment.

All just to say that I see the tiers based on speed of service. A 200$ book can be sent to whatever tier you want, no discrimination.

Since the declared value is for insurance purposes, CGC wants to minimize exposure to risk and so, they will say that books of certain values have to be sent for speedier services. Like that they hold onto it for less time and there are less chances of losing it, or it being damaged, ect.

Basically, you are never paying more just because your book is worth more, that would be a conflict of interest. You are paying more because you are getting the faster service. That's the actual exchange of money for service happening here. 

That's how I saw it.

It is not always true that the higher the price of the book the faster the turnaround.  Using current TAT estimates, Value at a $27 fee is faster by 3 days than Economy at a $38 fee.

Paying more because a book is worth more does not have to be a conflict of interest.  You most always pay more for handling fragile, breakable, or valuable items.  You are making someone responsible for a higher value item, so it costs more.  Like a bank paying more for an armored car service to move its money than a just a conventional courier.  Maybe for CGC and comics, it's only certain employees who are authorized to handle high dollar value items, special secure storage area for expensive comics, maybe in better, more protective holders while in process instead of a bag and board, more insurance, etc.  They're not going to treat it the same as a Spider-Man 1 from the 1990's.

2 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

Paying more because a book is worth more does not have to be a conflict of interest.  You most always pay more for handling fragile, breakable, or valuable items.  You are making someone responsible for a higher value item, so it costs more.  Like a bank paying more for an armored car service to move its money than a just a conventional courier.  Maybe for CGC and comics, it's only certain employees who are authorized to handle high dollar value items, special secure storage area for expensive comics, maybe in better, more protective holders while in process instead of a bag and board, more insurance, etc.  They're not going to treat it the same as a Spider-Man 1 from the 1990's.

I really hope CGC would treat my rare and fragile Marvel Family 20 from 1948 with the same attention they would the less rare X-Men 1 even though it is worth less at the moment.

Edited by William-James88

22 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

It is not always true that the higher the price of the book the faster the turnaround.  Using current TAT estimates, Value at a $27 fee is faster by 3 days than Economy at a $38 fee.

yeah, that was odd hence why I guess that's one of the major changes they now adress. So now it's always the case that the higher price the book, the faster the turnaround.

On 8/20/2022 at 11:24 AM, Supertramp said:

So CGC will pull a book and send it separately if they think it belongs in a higher tier?

No, it happens after the work. If they bump you they'll send it in the same box, no extra invoice fee, no extra shipping fee. It's always better to select lower tier if you qualify and if you're ok with the wait time; they encourage it.

Edited by KirbyTown