• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I still have my Mask #1 and #2 I got from Ron. Probably good-good+. I paid probably just over vg guide at the time and I didn’t care a bit. He was always a very tight grader as well. 

You were kind of local to him at one point, weren't you ? GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... Lewis always told me about making monthly visits to see John Verzyl, who likewise produced some amazing books.

1 minute ago, tth2 said:

Marnin is a good example.  When I was in my heyday of buying raw high grade books, the prices being quoted by the likes of Marnin, Roter, Greenhalgh, Metropolis, Storm, Hughes, etc. all felt high to extremely high.  

Has anyone ever come away from a purchase from Marnin thinking "I totally got a deal"? 

Not at the time but if you were smart enough to hang on to them. You are laughing all the way to the bank now...

2 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Has anyone ever come away from a purchase from Marnin thinking "I totally got a deal"? 

Marnin's prices were high but, his grading was fair.  I purchased an Action #28 Detroit Trolley from him as a fine minus.  I sent it to CGC in the tier that I paid for the book.  When it was graded CGC called me and said it graded a 7.0 and wanted more money.  

Just now, jimjum12 said:

You were kind of local to him at one point, weren't you ? GOD BLESS.... 

... Lewis always told me about making monthly visits to see John Verzyl, who likewise produced some amazing books.

Yep. I used to drive down to his folks’s place where he lived when I met him. He would bring up boxes of books he wanted photos of to my place, Lots of beautiful Church, San Francisco and Cosmic Aero Plane copies. We are still good friends. 

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

I purchased an Action #28 Detroit Trolley from him as a fine minus.  I sent it to CGC in the tier that I paid for the book.  When it was graded CGC called me and said it graded a 7.0 and wanted more money.  

I am surprised to hear that CGC actually does this, as it's the first time that I have heard of this being done and I wonder if they would call if it's the other way around.  (shrug)

I guess this is the kind of phone call from the gang at CGC that you don't actually mind getting.  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, LearnedHand said:

I don't have a crystal ball, but sincerely doubt this comparison can be made.  

There might not be a ceiling on comic book value appreciation, but I think it's unrealistic to assume the same growth rate applies to GA books today, at today's prices, as in the 1970s. 

Books were a whole lot less expensive then.  3X Guide in 1978 might have meant paying $120 for a $40 Guide Mint book, or $300 for a Guide Mint $100 book.  Those prices were doable on an average salary, even if it meant saving up for several months.  That $100 book today might run $25k.  How many months would someone making an average salary today need to save to buy a $25k book?   And, at 3X Guide Mint, that $100 book meant you'd be deciding on whether to spend $300 on either a choice GA book or maybe a well used car or a nice bicycle.  At 3X Guide NM today, that same book today means you'l  be deciding on whether to spend $75k on either a non-key (or very low tier key) GA book or maybe a nice new Benz, a boat, a house down-payment, or a year's tuition/room & board at a top-tier university.  I also don't think paying 3X FMV today, with abandon, makes a lot of sense as I sincerely doubt average GA books (not necessarily keys) will grow as much in the next 40 years as in the last 40 years.  Even Action 1, the most exceptional performer of all time, which went from ~10K to ~$3M in 40 years, is unlikely to keep that pace and be worth ~$1B in 40 years.

That’s what I was trying to say!  Thank you. Lol

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

Marnin is a good example.  When I was in my heyday of buying raw high grade books, the prices being quoted by the likes of Marnin, Roter, Greenhalgh, Metropolis, Storm, Hughes, etc. all felt high to extremely high.  

I never bought from Marnin’s CBG ads.  Prices were through the roof.  But many years later, I picked up a nice looking Action 32 he graded as 7.5. I was happy cause it was a sharp copy. 

Years later I had it slabbed. Got 9.0.  I never thought Marnin was such a conservative grader! 

If the hobby has come into its own or fully gained acceptance, as Mitch has suggested, then it stands to reason that prices will remain relatively flat or stable in the foreseeable future; the potential for growth may not be there. (Many of the "gains" that are being seen right now may actually reflect the broader inflation that is occurring or will be occurring soon.) Newer hobbies may have the potential that comic books once had; there may be some room for growth in vintage video games, for instance. This seems ridiculous to me, but the hottest collectible market among the younger adults that I know is that of shoes. I know guys who spend most of their discretionary income on collectible tennis shoes. I don't get it—but then again they don't understand the appeal of comic books.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 5/29/2021 at 12:56 PM, Mmehdy said:

"25% down payment> Then up to 12 equal monthly payments with the first 30 days free. Then 6% APR interest. Delivery when the invoice is paid in full."

Wow, that's new, I think? hm That's actually fairly generous.

7 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

If the hobby has come into its own or fully gained acceptance, as Mitch has suggested, then it stands to reason that prices will remain relatively flat or stable in the foreseeable future; the potential for growth may not be there. (Many of the "gains" that are being seen right now may actually reflect the broader inflation that is occurring or will be occurring soon.) Newer hobbies may have the potential that comic books once had; there may be some room for growth in vintage video games, for instance. This seems ridiculous to me, but the hottest collectible market among the younger adults that I know is that of shoes. I know guys who spend most of their discretionary income on collectible tennis shoes. I don't get it—but then again they don't understand the appeal of comic books.

Acceptance is great but not the only factor in this current major GA/SA   price growth, and acceptance especially in the books breaking 1M and above, or 3.25 million for A1 8.5 which quite a remarkable price without a wimpier or hint from the media that the price received was overpaid. The media today just accepts the price paid as the actual value as opposed to 48 years ago. The major factor I see is increased demand....worldwide for that matter which means increased completion. Increased awareness creates more demand by its very nature but there are many other growth factors out there contributing to our booming GA/SA comic book market.  Inflation is a factor in price growth and I agree with that statement ...but that is not a new thing, I remember buying a new 1974 Mustang for $1500 back in late 73...Yes I agree, the Promise books can act as an inflation hedge, just like rare coins or gold or Real Estate...something tangible which is not just paper money which is currently decreasing in value by over 4% yearly and we have seen nothing yet, that rate is going to go up with all of this money printing...it is gravity.

However,  I would never advise a collector to buy a promise book on a straight inflation hedge alone. I think if you buy wisely, condition pedigreed promise books, that is today' GA/SA comic book market, it is the safest bet you can make as a TCBC. I assume as a TCBC you can hold your position for longer than the widget fast food 12 mins those newbies want to make a flip and profit. Given the uniqueness of these Promise books, I do see a number of collectors, who have not been in the market for a long time, making a noise . These are very smart veteran collectors who are in this for the very long term. I think those collectors will be either on the sidelines watching or bidding and even winning during the next 18 months.

I disagree that in the foreseeable future that you can make the call that prices will remain flat. I can not. they have the possibly of going up, down or flat as you say....we know where we have been in the past 50 years of comic book collecting price growth ..we are  there now, so my advice has been unchanged ever since I was and still am a collector for the last 50 years...Buy the  GA book itself for the GA book itself as a TCBC and over time with all the  ups and downs and sideways you will end up being just fine.

Edited by Mmehdy

9 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

seems ridiculous to me, but the hottest collectible market among the younger adults that I know is that of shoes.

I've had co-workers who would camp out for 24 hours to gain a new limited Jordan release .... it's crazzy... thousands for sneakers they'll never wear outside of their Living Room. I did sell a low grade ASM 4 to one of those guys. GOD BLESS...

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Acceptance is great but not the only factor in this current major GA/SA   price growth, and acceptance especially in the books breaking 1M and above, or 3.25 million for A1 8.5 which quite a remarkable price without a wimpier or hint from the media that the price received was overpaid. The media today just accepts the price paid as the actual value as opposed to 48 years ago. The major factor I see is increased demand....worldwide for that matter which means increased completion. Increased awareness creates more demand by its very nature but there are many other growth factors out there contributing to our booming GA/SA comic book market.  Inflation is a factor in price growth and I agree with that statement ...but that is not a new thing, I remember buying a new 1974 Mustang for $1500 back in late 73...Yes I agree, the Promise books can act as an inflation hedge, just like rare coins or gold or Real Estate...something tangible which is not just paper money which is currently decreasing in value by over 4% yearly and we have seen nothing yet, that rate is going to go up with all of this money printing...it is gravity.

However,  I would never advise a collector to buy a promise book on a straight inflation hedge alone. I think if you buy wisely, condition pedigreed promise books, that is today' GA/SA comic book market, it is the safest bet you can make as a TCBC. I assume as a TCBC you can hold your position for longer than the widget fast food 12 mins those newbies want to make a flip and profit. Given the uniqueness of these Promise books, I do see a number of collectors, who have not been in the market for a long time, making a noise . These are very smart veteran collectors who are in this for the very long term. I think those collectors will be either on the sidelines watching or bidding and even winning during the next 18 months.

I disagree that in the foreseeable future that you can make the call that prices will remain flat. I can not. they have the possibly of going up, down or flat as you say....we know where we have been in the past 50 years of comic book collecting price growth ..we are  there now, so my advice has been unchanged ever since I was and still am a collector for the last 50 years...Buy the  GA book itself for the GA book itself as a TCBC and over time with all the  ups and downs and sideways you will end up being just fine.

1974 Mustang.  I was just telling my son how bad those were yesterday.  

4 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

When I used to buy stocks monthly through the Money Paper (which I don't think exists any longer), they called that cost averaging. LOL

(I had to stop investing in stocks because I spent all of my money on comic books!)

Edited by jimbo_7071

20 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

When I used to buy stocks monthly through the Money Paper (which I don't think exists any longer), they called that cost averaging. LOL

(I had to stop investing in stocks because I spent all of my money on comic books!)

Comics are probably a better investment than stocks.  hm