• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

On 5/30/2021 at 10:51 PM, szav said:

At any rate, its not the same now as it was then, comics are much more expensive on average, and a greater percentage of anyone's disposable income.   The idea of ever borrowing on any form of credit to buy them seems nuts.

Money has never been so 'cheap' as it is now. I'm sure there are MANY people borrowing to make purchases in all fields.

1 hour ago, comicnoir said:

I was told Heritage doesn't use scans, they use photographs.

As do CGC, Comic Connect and some other dealers I know.

I probably should have said 'images' as opposed to scans but old habits die hard.

One disadvantage to scanners is that they take a while to scan each book, which is fine if you're scanning a few books for your personal collection but if you're scanning 1000's of books every month for inventory the time adds up.

Still, the differences in representation are easy to see. Some auction houses use darker images than the actual books and some lighter. It's a challenge to image books properly.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Money has never been so 'cheap' as it is now. I'm sure there are MANY people borrowing to make purchases in all fields.

This is how we got into the recession of 2008. People buying things they couldn’t afford. Look what happened. 

Spending at the top of the market weather comics or stocks is not sound “investing”. Unless you can afford to wait years to break even or make a profit. Especially if you have to go in debt to do it...(shrug)

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I think your approach to buying into the "promise" collection is both safe and sane. "Wait and see' is what a number of collectors are gonna do and if this collection was say 1500 books the chances of you getting a few to slip thru the cracks would have been greatly reduced. We are, according to ha.com, over 5000 OO GA comic books coming on the market over 18 months. For those of you who are patient, rewards could very well become reality...lets see, 

I’m willing to wait and see. I would like at least one of these for my pedigree collection for historical purposes. 

But at the end of the day, I can die happy without one if need be. 

23 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It's a challenge to image books properly.

Heritage has mastered that.  The inks drips  off from all their books.   If only they looked that way after the buyer receives them.

17 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Got these beauties in today. I display the CC catalog for reference only. 

80B338B7-BA94-4A2B-A69A-DDF4167C2DD8.jpeg

48547C09-BE5E-46BB-B6F2-AE6363640002.jpeg

Ha. is the 800 pound gorilla here..Best website by a mile and best catalogs hands down. Any guesses our there on the auction total for the first 274 books?  mine is 700K

Edited by Mmehdy

38 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Got these beauties in today. I display the CC catalog for reference only. 

80B338B7-BA94-4A2B-A69A-DDF4167C2DD8.jpeg

Got mine too (but, you seem to be missing one).  Solved a big mystery.  Maybe the CGC guys are so forgiving of "bindery tears" because they get the cataloges too.  Check this out:

IMG_1072.thumb.jpg.018fd09d090c1340c13a8a03090ed100.jpg

37 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I’m willing to wait and see. I would like at least one of these for my pedigree collection for historical purposes. 

But at the end of the day, I can die happy without one if need be. 

With 5,000 books over 18 months, you can get one.

22 minutes ago, szav said:

Did you leave out a number you meant to put in front of the 700?  I think the PL17, Tec 140, AA61, Tec 69, +Cap 46 alone total 700k or so, and if not there’s easily 10-20 other books that’ll go in the 25-50k range to add to that.

I would be surprised if the first 300 books did not average out above $10K each.  I would expect these 300 books to get a higher total price than the Billy Wright collection of 300+ did.  Yeah, Billy Wright had a D27, Action 1, Batman 1, AA 16, MC 1, D29, Adventure 40, Subby 1, All-Star 3, etc., but the D27 was the only book to make it above $300K.  Only six BWs made it to six figures.  Many many BWs were only four figure books.  It was nine years ago.  Prices have blown out the roof since then.  

15 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I would be surprised if the first 300 books did not average out above $10K each.  I would expect these 300 books to get a higher total price than the Billy Wright collection of 300+ did.  Yeah, Billy Wright had a D27, Action 1, Batman 1, AA 16, MC 1, D29, Adventure 40, Subby 1, All-Star 3, etc., but the D27 was the only book to make it above $300K.  Only six BWs made it to six figures.  Many many BWs were only four figure books.  It was nine years ago.  Prices have blown out the roof since then.  

Should be asking ourselves what the B. Wright collection would realize had it been sprung today.