• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, sagii said:

So a benefit of living and working in NY is I can pick up my CC wins in person, and check out HA's gallery showcase in Manhattan. Only a 8 minute walk from the office. 

Now while I only can see them through the window, and not actually handle them, let me say at least concerning these examples: OMG!! They are GORGEOUS!! just ...WOW! 

Sorry for the crappy pics, don't do these books justice 

Probably the closest I'll ever get to any of these again 

20210603_154040.jpg

20210603_154051.jpg

20210603_154101.jpg

What is mind-blowing is there are over 5000 of them....what a great time to be a TCBC...GA style

3 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

The collection was assembled by a young boy who grew up, went to war and never returned. For decades, the books were kept safe by the brother who vowed to keep watch over the comics should anything happen to his sibling on the battlefield. 

They are getting closer to the real background story. 

37 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

They are in the windows of the Heritage NYC offices getting a suntan so that they will look their absolute toasty best for the auction winners.  :fear::bigsmile:

Oh, Lou...:facepalm: lol

I'd assume any windows Heritage would use for a public viewing gallery would be of Kryptonian quality 

34 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

They are getting closer to the real background story. 

At the very least, an update to the initial wave of information made public a few weeks back. I'm hopeful that this meeting will put an end to some of the speculation and address questions from the community, leaving us to finally be able to enjoy and celebrate this momentous event.

Ok, I finally read through all 99 pages of this thread.  What I didn't see confirmed was:  are the heirs actually getting a cut of this auction?  Has anybody been able to confirm that these aren't actually owned by somebody who already bought the entire collection outright from the heirs?  

4 minutes ago, SOTIcollector said:

Ok, I finally read through all 99 pages of this thread.  What I didn't see confirmed was:  are the heirs actually getting a cut of this auction?  Has anybody been able to confirm that these aren't actually owned by somebody who already bought the entire collection outright from the heirs?  

The collection is on consignment. :foryou:

16 minutes ago, SOTIcollector said:

Heritage has made statements that I do not think they could or would make without the family’s ok.  It is a consignment and Heritage says the consignors/family (I have seen both terms) want to stay anonymous.  But that ship has sailed for the family and the only question is when will the full/real story be told.

Edited by sfcityduck

48 minutes ago, SOTIcollector said:

We will find out soon...

22 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:
1 hour ago, SOTIcollector said:

We will find out soon...

Why, I highly doubt the heirs will be making an appearance at this live event or Zoom meeting that Heritage is planning to have on June 8th. :frown:

Any bets that the only information released about the collection or about the family will be limited to that video that has already been posted. :popcorn: :taptaptap:

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

It may well be on consignment from a dealer like Doug Schmell or Mark Wilson who bought the collection from the heirs for a buck apiece.

The days of Schmell and Wilson are over. This is 2021, the information age. Nobody bought this for a buck. They tried...

2 hours ago, szav said:

Been wondering how the ultra ultra high grade copies of the SA mega keys would do.  Unless I've been missing something, despite the recent price run up and doubling, tripling, and quintupling in value of various Marvel SA keys, there haven't been many of these top 10 graded copies of mega keys coming up.

Do the people who hold them just not care, or are they worried about being the first ones to test the waters and not getting 3-4 times what they paid for them?  Seeing where this is now it looks like the crazy still applies no matter what the grade.   Does this hit a million (in other words the price of some variant Tom Brady rookie card)?  Do the two X-Men #1 CGC 9.8s go for more than the Bat-Man #1 CGC 9.4?

I know you're a big fan of TMNT #1 also, and it's also interesting to me that no 9.8 has come up recently either even with the 9.6s going for close to 100k.

The Bat-Man 1 in 9.4 is clearly and historically a much more stable financial climb to that level than X-Men 1 9.6 at one M or 750K. The SA market has been hit by by AMC like investors which have created in my opinion a very unsustainable price level which will in the future be subject to the possibility large price downward price fluctuations or swings. That should have little effect on the historically and truly rare Batman #1 in 9.4. The ability of say Giant Size X-Men #1 to price fluctuation is 1000 times greater due simply the number of copies available that can trade on the open market. Those grow on trees, while 9.4 Batman #1 don't or 8.5 copies of Action #1. Our GA world is safe for the time being.

Price manipulation of SA Keys by speculators should have no effect on future value or demand for the Promise books. Because 75% of the books will be the highest graded copies of very rare GA books in that condition it cannot be hyper inflated by multiple sales. Most copies will be bought by savvy GA TCBC and over time those books will get lost into collection holes or by very smart GA dealers who will hold and sell only at the time very slowly.

I would assume any combo collector of both Ga/SA would come running over to GA during this price run up of SA books with future purchases for their collection. Even say, a collector/investor of Ga/SA will want to park their money on the good long term Promise books as a safe haven during this very uncertain time of true valuation of SA super hot books and the sustainability of the value which you will currently pay.

That is the point here, 1 copy of over 5000  Pedigreed OO GA comic books cannot be duplicated ever again. BUT, there are many, many more SA collections to be discovered or have yet to come to market looking at the future to knock off or reduce in the census your X-Men #1 at 9.6...much risker at $750 that your books will be reduced down the CGC ladder of top existing copy. Buyer Beware at this time, in the CGC SA comic book world.

Ha said  it right, not in the last 25 years or probably ever again will a true OO over 5000 top graded GA comic book collection will ever surface. We are living in historic times in our GA comic book world. Investors and widget buyers are going into the SA comic book market, AMC stock, Gamestop and whatever ...well so be it...just stay out of Gold...forever

Edited by Mmehdy