• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, szav said:

I dunno, casual first glance I see about a 100% pedigree premium on these.  Maybe that makes it easier for people to dismiss these sales as outliers and we won’t see much of a general run up in GA.  I think people already tend to dismiss Church copy sales records when pricing other copies in whatever grade.

Agreed.  The real Promise backstory is worth a big premium, and there's no doubt in my mind that big bidders know it.  

I also think today was a day that spreads on GA became more like the spread on post-Bronze comics.  Right now sold prices for a Predator 1 on eBay have a price spread from $1000+ for a 9.8 on the high end to a mere $10 for a decent looking VFish raw copy. 

This auction is a fervor for "highest graded" copies which are fresh to the market and from what will be a legendary pedigree.  Sure there will be dealers that will reprice a bunch of comics upward, but I'm not sure that these results will actually have a long term impact on low grade copies in many of the titles which are now hitting hitting astronomical heights.  

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Agreed.  The real Promise backstory is worth a big premium, and there's no doubt in my mind that big bidders know it.  

I also think today was a day that spreads on GA became more like the spread on post-Bronze comics.  Right now sold prices for a Predator 1 on eBay have a price spread from $1000+ for a 9.8 on the high end to a mere $10 for a decent looking VFish raw copy. 

This auction is a fervor for "highest graded" copies which are fresh to the market and from what will be a legendary pedigree.  Sure there will be dealers that will reprice a bunch of comics upward, but I'm not sure that these results will actually have a long term impact on low grade copies in many of the titles which are now hitting hitting astronomical heights.  

... and like you pointed out, the backstory is likely true and not just hype. IF this type of hoarde surfaces again ... most of us will likely be gone. It really is quite the spectacle ... like fireworks over the Statue of Liberty. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

18 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, totally surprised at what some of these mid-run non classic cover Cap and Joker 'Tec books managed to run up to.   :whatthe:

Makes me wonder if the AA 61 with the all-time classic Solomon Grundy cover would have gone higher than its final $138K price point  since it was only the second lot in the auction and most likely before bidders knew how much they would have to up their game in order to win some of these Promise Collection books later on?  hm  

Looking at some of these results so far, from my own personal POV, I would say the winner of the AA 61 got themselves a relative steal in comparison.  (shrug)

Yup, I agree. You put that book up again today and it’s a $250,000-$300,000 book 🤨

13 minutes ago, vheflin said:

The outsize result for PL14 seems odd.hm

Wasn't that simply because Brian said that was his favorite PL cover even though others tend to prefer PL 17?  :bigsmile:

I will definitely say that Brian seems to be a lot more enthusiastic and seems to be more creative and patient at pulling in higher bids for the books.  (thumbsu

Just now, lou_fine said:

Wasn't that simply because Brian said that was his favorite PL cover even though others tend to prefer PL 17?  :bigsmile:

I will definitely say that Brian seems to be a lot more enthusiastic and seems to be more creative and patient at pulling in higher bids for the books.  (thumbsu

Brian said the PL16 was his favorite cover.

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

:gossip: ... he's being paid handsomely ... GOD BLESS ...

21 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Brian said the PL16 was his favorite cover.

Well, my bad then although I clearly do like his choice with respect to what must be one of the all-time classic lingerie cover out there.  :luhv:

I remember Mark Wilson offering me a HG copy of PL 16 way back in the day for around $800 and I just couldn't bring myself to say YES knowing his reputation by then, even though he had assured me over and over again that he had done absolutely nothing at all to this particular book.  hm  (shrug)

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Well, my bad then although I clearly do like his choice with respect to what must be one of the all-time classic lingerie cover out there.  :luhv:

I remember Mark Wilson offering me a HG copy of PL 16 way back in the day for around $800 and I just couldn't bring myself to say YES knowing his reputation by then, even though he had assured me over and over again that he had done absolutely nothing at all to this particular book.  hm  (shrug)

My copy is a slabbed 7.0, except the label says PL18. I guess I should reholder.

1 hour ago, mstrange said:

Cap#74 $204,000 w/BP .   I tapped out at $120,000 and I thought I was crazy. :ohnoez:

Someone really wanted that book.

Don’t feel bad, I tapped out on the Flash Comics #92 after $7000 and thought I was crazy. It ended up going for $25,200 w/ BP. 

Someone wanted that book more than I did for sure. :/

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, they just finished the Subby run and looks like this classic bondage/snake cover issue here outperformed all of the other issues by a wide margin at just over $50K, and from my own personal point of view, long time coming and much deserved since most of the focus has tended to been on Subby 11:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/sub-mariner-comics-13-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1944-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7244-93153.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F7%2F6%2F24076064%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I hear ya. Best cover of the run. I get offers on mine through Heritage, and I expect more now.

4 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

I hear ya. Best cover of the run. I get offers on mine through Heritage, and I expect more now.

I owned a copy ... it's a book you usually only get to own once ... GOD BLESS...