• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Kind of sad to see the once in-demand Cap 3 Red Skull classic cover books was unable to get even a single additional bid in the live auction:  

Glue notation, tape notation, bug chew. I'm not sure I'd use that copy as one to set a baseline on. lol

What, are ya' new to comics? :whistle:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Mile High/Church pedigree premium (like Denver's, etc.), whatever it is, developed over time as folks debated, compared and confirmed the generally superior quality.   I am assuming it was a modest premium at first, which grew as the perceived quality withstood the test of time. 

Wierd thing here is how high the Promise books went for, invariably multiples of perceived FMV wasn't it?  And did so despite being a new pedigree for which, more often than not, the initial consensus on these boards has been the apparent over-grading and less-than-ideal presentation of many covers (particularly due to pretty significant sun shading and toning, and some miscuts, and even a 1"+ tear on the front cover of a supposed 8.5!).  If that consensus is correct, I would have thought that the observed presentation issues would have negated THIS newbie pedigree's premium, much like the pedigrees that no longer command a significant premium today.  Some Promise books looked great, so not talking about those.  Add to that the fact that the Promise pedigree had not yet earned its stripes/respect like the Church, Denver, etc. pedigrees have, and today's results were a bit of a head-scratcher.   I dunno.  Just something does not feel right about the valuations throughout Session 3, which ought to be associated with a pedigree of legendary status, which takes TIME to earn (if I'm not mistaken).    

Edited by Pantodude

For all I know, most of the books could be great examples for the grade (I didn't check), which means most folks will be very happy with their books.  And there's more to the ped than just the actual state of the book, like the Okinawa Okajima ped.  So I'm going to be optimistic and assume we have a legit new heavyweight ped (until shown otherwise), and that's exciting.  Anything that actually enriches or adds interesting layers to the hobby is a good thing, even if I can't afford it myself!        

Edited by Pantodude
typo

23 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Anything that actually enriches or adds interesting layers to the hobby is a good thing, even if I can't afford it myself!        

(thumbsu

Min. 5 years hold time for the winners of these Promise books. Better 10 years in my opinion. Anything less they could end up losing $ of selling.

I'm curious to see if these multiples of guide prices can he sustained until the last of the Promise books have been sold.

22 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Min. 5 years hold time for the winners of these Promise books. Better 10 years in my opinion. Anything less they could end up losing $ of selling.

I'm curious to see if these multiples of guide prices can he sustained until the last of the Promise books have been sold.

A lot will hinge on whether the prestige of the Promise Collection pedigree takes on a similar cachet to the Church collection ...the story of the two brothers certainly suggests it might.  Also, whether the top grades hold up as highest ...most will, but some may not.  The only other variable is that long "promised" pedigree book which would favorably impact the value of pedigreed books generally and one like this in particular.  Each of these things are potential game changers in respect to cash values, but no one's holding their breath on that last one.

Edited by Cat-Man_America

Looks like the uber long awaited Pedigree Book would be delayed once more since the Promise collection needs to be added I'm there too I assume.

Yeah I agree the story about this Pedigree should be around the level of the Church and other prestigious pedigrees we've seen. Just the "gift grades" given to some of these book bug me. I'm sure a few should not be even the highest graded because of that, technically. 

It's going to be hard to flip these with what, 3000 more pedigree books waiting in the wings?  300? Did I read that somewhere?  People gonna want to be saving for those I think.  Also, I'm sorry but the pedigree story kinda smells fishy to me. "Promise me you'll save my comics!"  Puhleeze.

17 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

It's going to be hard to flip these with what, 3000 more pedigree books waiting in the wings?  300? Did I read that somewhere?  People gonna want to be saving for those I think.  Also, I'm sorry but the pedigree story kinda smells fishy to me. "Promise me you'll save my comics!"  Puhleeze.

Kinda hard to believe any Pedigree story where the names and details have been left out...hm  For the same reason, and lack of other info, I don't necessarily buy the Tom Reily/SF Pedigree story either...(shrug)

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

15 hours ago, Black Bat said:

As far a the "Promise me" story, life in our time has made me a skeptic about most things but if the story isn't true they still must have some kind of backstory and probably an interesting one. I'm inclined to believe the KIA in Korea story but I think we'll never know for sure as the now extremely wealthy heirs to whoever saved these books will probably never go public. 

Most of the books today hammered at where I expected but some just went nuts. Captain America's 36 and 46 at 204k and 162k is just insane. And many of the Detective Comics and some of the Flash comics prices of non key issues were really high. 

Edited by Professor Chaos