• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Looks like the uber long awaited Pedigree Book would be delayed once more since the Promise collection needs to be added I'm there too I assume.

Yeah I agree the story about this Pedigree should be around the level of the Church and other prestigious pedigrees we've seen. Just the "gift grades" given to some of these book bug me. I'm sure a few should not be even the highest graded because of that, technically. 

I'll wager the Promise Collection chapter is being finalized as we muse of the prospect of it.  I'm with you 100% about gift grades especially since HA scans can be expanded on a desktop to see every blemish on a cover that would knock off points.

51 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

It's going to be hard to flip these with what, 3000 more pedigree books waiting in the wings?  300? Did I read that somewhere?  People gonna want to be saving for those I think.  Also, I'm sorry but the pedigree story kinda smells fishy to me. "Promise me you'll save my comics!"  Puhleeze.

Personally, I think we're seeing most of the cream now.  There are a bunch more classic covers that'll play out over the next couple of Heritage auctions, but after that I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more second tier books and lower grades. That's just my opinion though.  There may be a lot more hot titles than we've seen or been led to believe.  The marketing has been pretty intense on this one.

2 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Auction prophets are part of the divine marketing strategy for this pedigree.

They have as much merit as real prophets.  It's just strange to me that the discussion here is almost exclusively on the value of the books, and not the books themselves.  

18 minutes ago, buttock said:

They have as much merit as real prophets.  It's just strange to me that the discussion here is almost exclusively on the value of the books, and not the books themselves.  

There's actually a logical reason for that.  The elephant in the room is the grades and grading.  There's an inherent risk of getting too much into the weeds about the books themselves.  

Would I rather discuss the books than how much money they're attracting? You betcha, but it's the Catch 22 of collecting.  Folks like to "speculate" on where the hobby's headed and whether they can afford to stay in it.  

In theory, the higher prices and attention will raise the value of everyone's collection, including under-copies.  

(I'll drink to that) 

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

In theory, the higher prices and attention will raise the value of everyone's collection, including under-copies.  

(I'll drink to that) 

:tink:

I absolutely agree with that, and because of it I am going to be selling MY Contact #12 (which is not quite as nice as the "Promise" copy) here on the boards for the incredibly low price of only...................................................... $62,000...(including buyers premium, of course). hm  Feel free to contact me (no pun intended) for details...:acclaim:

16544251622_aa909d1157_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Yeah, I thought the “Red Skull drooling over Bucky’s crotch” cover had a bigger following

Yes, is that why Cap's so upset on the cover, similar to how Batman would be totally perturbed if the Joker was salivating over Robin's crotch?  :luhv:  lol

8 hours ago, Pantodude said:
8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like this nicely presenting relative to its assigned CGC 4.0 graded Universal copy finished up at only $27,600 or just a bit more than where restored mid-grade copies were selling for only a few short years ago.  :whatthe:

It went for $5K more than the blue 5.0 fetched just one year ago!  Greedy, aren't we? 

Well, I thought that blue CGC 5.0 graded copy you are alluding to was also a weak sale when it sold for only $23,400 back in July of 2020, especially considering that a PLOD CGC 5.5 restored copy sold for $24K back in November of 2019.  This was after a PLOD CGC 6.0 restored copy sold for $21,600 back in November of 2018 and also just before a PLOD CGC restored copy sold for $18K back in March of 2020.  :applause:

With these kinds of numbers, it looks like the PLOD sales performed relatively better than their Universal unrestored counterparts.  :whatthe:

12 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

You're making the same error that most of us make at one time or another in regards to market analysis, trying to use our own feelings and that of our small circle of acquaintances to characterize an entire market. It doesn't matter that you never found Ghost Rider to be a compelling character, but somehow, enough other people cared to produce more than one incarnation of his own title. GR was one of the early recipients of the promo/variant covers and enjoyed crossovers with ALL of the A-listers. If you told me you worked in a comic store for a few years back in the day, I might be more inclined to listen, but I put enough copies of Ghost Rider in people's Hold Boxes to know better in the early 90's. Many of those folks are now in their 40's and they couldn't care less about the Mile High Copy of Comics on Parade or Single Series 20... rarity or not. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... At over a quarter million bucks, at least two others also disagree with your assessment. Friendly reminder ... when assessing collectibles markets, always study the math first... your feelings will lead you astray every time. 

Jimbo gettin' feisty!

:cloud9:  (worship)

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Glue notation, tape notation, bug chew. I'm not sure I'd use that copy as one to set a baseline on. lol

What, are ya' new to comics? :whistle:

Speaking about chews on comic books, any bets they won't have much of an impact on the prices of the Promise books this Saturday. :fear:doh!

11 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

...I had more than one friend in the BA that considered MS 5 to be one of their prized books. It was already a Key then, just not with FF1 at he time. If it was a dud, Marvel wouldn't have re-visited the character ... successfuly. so many times. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

jimbo(also a friend of Ghost Rider)! (worship)

Edited by tth2

11 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Easy solution here. Don't price anything. Throw it up for auction and ride the roller coaster.

This.

These days, the idea of selling anything except through an auction is inconceivable.

4 hours ago, comicjack said:
6 hours ago, Sarg said:

Mask #1 $102,000

Small house in the midwest :smile:

Sadly, that wouldn't even cover the cost of the incremental amount that you would have to go over the asking price if you want to purchase a house here. :mad:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

10 hours ago, october said:

Hope my ignorance pushes up the value of the PL 17 I may sell after this. 

I wonder how much of the traditional pricing relationship between different grades of a comic still exists, particularly between the "best" copy and all other copies.  To me, it looks like high end collectors will pay whatever it takes for the very best copy, but collectors of lower grade copies will not automatically pay X% of that top price.

2 hours ago, Scrooge said:
2 hours ago, buttock said:

It's just strange to me that the discussion here is almost exclusively on the value of the books, and not the books themselves.

Didn't the boards make that turn about 7 or 8 years ago (shrug)

18 years ago.