• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Last week???? What took them so long.  :cry:

One wonders how long the processing of the collection (from the 'find' to the slabbing) took. Is it realistic to assume the 'find' occurred in the Fall of 2020? Summer of 2020? Earlier?

Edited by BuscemasAvengers

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The part I am wondering about, is that with everybody here constantly complaining about CCS's and CGC's deadly slow turnaround times in terms of waiting months on end to get their books back, how are these books able to get pancaked, graded, and slabbed just like that.  Especially when their online submission system is apparently crashing on a regular basis due to all of the submissions coming in before their deadline to raise prices.  hm

I guess when you have such a massive quality collection like this, you get to set not only your own turnaround times, but also get to have their undisclosed grading standards personalized to take into account some of the visual pecularities that appears to be inherent with most of the books that we have seen so far from this collection.  :devil:

Realistically big HA orders are probably going to get a bit of preferential treatment.   Say 5000 x 100 = 500,000 in fees?   Are you going to work on that 500k order from a closely connected company, or work on Joe Schmucklack’s 9.4 Avengers 398? 

30 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Berk got record prices for many lesser condition books.  Where there were bargains were more in the upper end Church copies, of which there were fewer than 200.  Overall, he was, and should have been, very happy with the result.

Like you, I am quite sure that Jon was quite happy and probably pretty ecstatic with the results that he got for his books.  (thumbsu

For him, being a comic book historian and caretaker of his books for all those long years,I believe it was never so much about the money for him, and really more for his love of the books and passing them onto the next generation of collectors.  I think letting them all go in one shot was a lot less painful for him, as opposed to dragging them out over an extended period of time.  hm  :applause:

10 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Realistically big HA orders are probably going to get a bit of preferential treatment.   Say 5000 x 100 = 500,000 in fees?   Are you going to work on that 500k order from a closely connected company, or work on Joe Schmucklack’s 9.4 Avengers 398? 

Unless they also got a huge bulk discount on the pressing and grading fees, it should definitely work out to a whole lot more than this by a long shot.  Especially since I don't think a single one of these books posted so far would qualify for the cheapo Standard tier of valuation under $1K.  :gossip:

The only thing I am more concerned with is the newbies that they got operating the steamrollers at CCS, considering how fast they are going to have to go in order to squeeze these books through in time for their June Signature Auction.  :fear:

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The only thing I am more concerned with is the newbies that they got operating the steamrollers at CCS, considering how fast they are going to have to go in order to squeeze these books through in time for their June Signature Auction. 

I would be surprised if they put all 5,000 books up in one auction.  That would not be how I would do it if I were the seller.  

29 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Unless they also got a huge bulk discount on the pressing and grading fees, it should definitely work out to a whole lot more than this by a long shot.  Especially since I don't think a single one of these books posted so far would qualify for the cheapo Standard tier of valuation under $1K.  :gossip:

The only thing I am more concerned with is the newbies that they got operating the steamrollers at CCS, considering how fast they are going to have to go in order to squeeze these books through in time for their June Signature Auction.  :fear:

Exactly .. 500k is conservative.  Totally agree

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

This is a brand new pedigree, a large amount of business from one of their biggest customers and a huge event for the hobby,

This is going to get special treatment and I won't complain. 

Edited by adamstrange

6 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

This is a brand new pedigree, a large amount of business from one of their biggest customers and a huge event for the hobby,

This is going to get special treatment and I won't complain. 

Well put!

What would you expect. It’s like having a restaurant that you frequent and spend a lot of money at that you expect to have special seating when you arrive! Just because you decide to show up with a crowd does that make things any different. Good luck!

On 4/28/2021 at 8:45 AM, adamstrange said:

Distributor marks have generally been considered a minor defect for GA comics going back decades.  They are the primary method for confirming many pedigrees and are often prized rather than reviled by high end GA collectors.

Thanks. But what about books that are not pedigrees? Does writing on the cover then impact the grade in a negative way? It seems rather arbitrary.

Personally, I'd rather have a 7.5 book with no writing than a 9.2 book with writing, but to each his own. 

21 minutes ago, szav said:

If this is one continuous OO collection wonder what the story is as to why this book stands out as a beater... although I can’t see the picture that well on my phone to see what the defects are.  Seems odd.

we were told earlier that the collection has some books going back to the late 30s, but that generally the higher/highest grades are the later years.  Makes sense to me.

42 minutes ago, Sarg said:

Thanks. But what about books that are not pedigrees? Does writing on the cover then impact the grade in a negative way? It seems rather arbitrary.

Distributor codes and names are treated the same on pedigree & non-pedigree books.

44 minutes ago, Sarg said:

Personally, I'd rather have a 7.5 book with no writing than a 9.2 book with writing, but to each his own. 

As it is, there might be many copies of higher grade than the 7.5 making it much cheaper to buy than if the grading system penalized writing more heavily.  So, it's a win for you!