• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, october said:

Probably some Star Wars 9.9 first appearance of Gleep Glorp or some other bulls#$@ 17 day old "key".

Gleep Glorp? OK, now I want one. 

I think that beats my Darth Tulip Bulbs or Count Looseyourshirt.

Edited by Rip

1 hour ago, CrocHntr said:

Yeah, but a chip is a chip.  GA or modern, it sure makes the book fugly.  Why would the grade not represent what is obvious to the eye as a flaw (either manufactured or not)?  

Personally I think this is one of several mistakes with CGC grading.  They try to guess what defect happened during manufacturing versus what is a post distribution defect rather than just grade the book in front of them.  Several book mechanics have been able to exploit this in taking a nice presenting book, modifying it so it looks worse but gets a higher technical grade (see spine realignment and peek-a-boo pages for examples).

1 hour ago, ChillMan said:

None of these common issues.  Throw down 20% on a key, yeah SA 1st app.  Or celebrity current valid drivers licenses or passports when they died.  I like 'cameo' and 'ad' 1st appearances.  But not high grade common boring issues.

Oh, my bad, I didn't know you were brain damaged.  Gotcha.  Carry on.

10 minutes ago, Rip said:

Gleep Glorp? OK, now I want one. 

I think that beats my Darth Tulip Bulbs or Count Looseyourshirt.

If they are all sold out due to spec you could always go for an Uncle Wiggily20210428_124918.jpg.36b0134de1da323982ba2ac9ba325287.jpg

Or  Sinestro I am fear. 20210428_124855.jpg.e2d1cdbf30d239b48ece14e1ce96973f.jpg

2 hours ago, CrocHntr said:

Yeah, but a chip is a chip.  GA or modern, it sure makes the book fugly.  Why would the grade not represent what is obvious to the eye as a flaw (either manufactured or not)?  

One of them is expected and therefore not really a defect and one is.

Arrival dates/stamps.   That's how newstands did it back then.    Its not how comic shops do it now.   I wouldn't view an arrival date as much if any of a defect on a GA because ducks have feathers.  

Monkeys don't have feathers, so I wouldn't expect an arrival date on a book from 2019.   

Can't judge monkeys and ducks by the same criteria.   I know which one will win a banana eating contest.

Edited by Bronty

As an extreme example, take one of those die cut covers from the 90s.

There's a hole in the front cover!    Do you give it a 9.8 or a 1.0.    It was manufactured with a flippin' hole in the cover.   How can you hold that against the book?

I think the real issue here is will the GA comic book market be able to handle this collection coming into the marketplace. With 5000 books with a average price of say $5000 each, it would suck out of the GA market air about $25 Million dollars, if higher average price book, then even more money. That will be the real issue here, will after say 70% of the books being sold into the GA market show some wear and tear. So when the collection hits its last 500 books will those be the "bargains" we have been looking for. Timing this sale of when and how much to purchase is the key. Why not get 5 books for the price of 3, I guess it just depends on what your want list is and what comes up for sale. What are your thoughts about the timing of buying into this collection?

40 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I think the real issue here is will the GA comic book market be able to handle this collection coming into the marketplace. With 5000 books with a average price of say $5000 each, it would suck out of the GA market air about $25 Million dollars, if higher average price book, then even more money. That will be the real issue here, will after say 70% of the books being sold into the GA market show some wear and tear. So when the collection hits its last 500 books will those be the "bargains" we have been looking for. Timing this sale of when and how much to purchase is the key. Why not get 5 books for the price of 3, I guess it just depends on what your want list is and what comes up for sale. What are your thoughts about the timing of buying into this collection?

Makes me wonder if the first books to be sold will be the bargains...hm

54 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I think everyone is over estimating how many deep pocket collectors that will be present. Most collectors will be priced out. Is the whole collection coming up in one auction? Might be better to break it up.

I see the real bargains, in the floodgate of other books on the market that will appear before and after...

Like the Berk auction, I plan to be real specific and hope to grab a few that are sure to float under the radar. 

9 hours ago, october said:

Staying away is a forgone conclusion sadly. I need my kidneys.

Both?  I used to think that but then I was offered some really sweet Spokane horror books...

25 minutes ago, LearnedHand said:

Don't 9.8 Church copies have dust shadows?  

Most Church copies have a very light dust shadow on the back cover and that's probably true of 9.8s.  I don't recall any Church 9.8s with noticeable front cover dust shadows but that doesn't mean there aren't any.