• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Aman619 said:
10 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I would kill to own the copy that YOU have now, my friend. Mad 1 is one of the coolest books of all time :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-Melvin(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Yeah,  Cool as in stagnant!

Heritage killed off my interest in acquiring any Gaines ECs because back in the day, auction after auction would feature a zillion 9.6 and 9.8 copies.  

9 hours ago, Aman619 said:

On the other hand, such a list would put a damper on crazy bidding wars for best copy and hurt the market.  And specifically the sellers. 

Not really, given the expectation that many of those Church copies will not be entering the market any time soon. 

There have been remarkably few fresh to market Churches in recent years, which is why there was such a feeding frenzy for Berk's books and when the Pep and Hit runs came up on Heritage a few years ago.

13 minutes ago, tth2 said:
10 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

-Melvin(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

lol   (worship)

Still got my William and Mary School of Law baseball cap.... as a spectator of course.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

8 hours ago, szav said:

HA has 96k for a Mad #1 cgc 9.8 in 2019.  

that being the case, its another example of a potential happy ending if you hold onto a once hot book thats cooled down book that just might hot action again.  If this 100K sale happened in the last year, It feels like another record sale by the "mysterious new money" thats flooded in during Covid. A super high grade of a long running title first issue could sound very attractive to a newish(?) collector hot for key books to scarf up, while being unaware of the other Gaines copies and that Mad has been pretty tepid for a decade. I could argue this book either way, actually.  NO says Mad as a title and cultural touchstone is dead (no longer published) and/or dying in interest.  YES because for 60 years it was a hugely successful and culturally influential magazine for 2 or 3 generations of kids that influenced  their worldview!  It will always have a decent place in out hobby, I wouldn't bet 100K on it though. But not the WORST book to buy..   optimistically, I hope Mad stages a full on comeback cause I have a run of the mags just collecting dust and losing value year after year.

3 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

With the Billy Wrights, there was a maverick bidder who bought many of them at any price he could before it was learned that he had embezzled the money. When he was caught, the books were up for auction again with the distinct stain that caused bidders sit them out, or to completely ignore the previous sales prices as illegitimate.

Something has always bothered me about that story. The ridiculous (at the time) prices required at least two bidders, not just one guy trying to launder some money. We aren't privy to the bidding patterns at Heritage, so it's hard to know exactly how that happened.

Well, all I know is that whoever was the lucky guy to fork over $49,293.75 for this Billy Wright copy of All-Star made outy like a bandit becasue they ended up reselling the book to the comic book embezzler, (Anthony Chiofalo, I would assume) for $200K less than a week later through Heritage's Make Offer to Owner feature that they have on the right hand side of the auction listing description  :takeit:  :whee:  :banana::

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

12 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

The Chinatown is sitting in slabs and could be sold at any time.

What makes you think they could be sold anytime soon just because they are sitting in slabs?  ???

Especially since he hasn't sold any of them, save for the odd funny animal book or a few of the other later ones from the early to mid 50's.  hm

12 hours ago, BarristerBaker said:

Agreed. Just silly to bid on any Flash Comics. I’m surprised HA will even sell them. Move along, move along...

Wait a second, there’s flash comics coming up!?

Edited by tabcom

7 hours ago, AJD said:

Something has always bothered me about that story. The ridiculous (at the time) prices required at least two bidders, not just one guy trying to launder some money. We aren't privy to the bidding patterns at Heritage, so it's hard to know exactly how that happened.

If I recall, there was some serious punishment bidding going on in that auction.  People recognized someone was unwilling to lose so others made them pay for it.

On 5/19/2021 at 11:40 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

+1.   

I have comics in the registry, but I couldn't even tell you who's in first place, let alone second or third. Many of the nicest collections were built up before slabbing was a thing. These guys with the "highest-graded copies" don't necessarily have the nicest existing copies. They have the highest-graded copies out of the very small number of copies submitted to a particular grading company and graded subjectively. On a different day, their 9.6s might be 9.4s, and somebody else's 9.4s might be 9.6s. The loose grading of the Promise collection proves that "highest-graded" doesn't mean that much. It's way too subjective. I've been collecting since long before CGC was a glimmer in the money grubbers' eyes, so I see numerical grading to the tenths place as something of a marketing gimmick, albeit a successful one.

Edited by jimbo_7071

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

What makes you think they could be sold anytime soon just because they are sitting in slabs?  ???

Especially since he hasn't sold any of them, save for the odd funny animal book or a few of the other later ones from the early to mid 50's.  hm

“Could” not “will”

7 minutes ago, sagii said:

Doesn't the Billy Wright pedigree hold the record for most Overstreet Top 100 gold books in a pedigree, if not mistaken? Or something like that...

How could that not be the MH?  I can only think of a few not in the MH.

Edited by sfcityduck

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

How could that not be the MH?

..which why I said or something like that.

I remember that the fact that there were so many in the collection,  that was a big part of the marketing campaign.  Im sure I'm slightly off, it has been 9 years (: