• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Much like Elvis.

Unlike Church, SF which were first sold to dealers whom sold them to collectors, this is more a "Billy Wright" on steroids type sale. Never before will EVERY collector have a shot at ALL 5000 plus books on a eve  playing field. Billys 367 was a taste of things like, so never before nor never again will an OO 50000+ GA comic book collection be available directly.

Edited by Mmehdy

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:
1 hour ago, N e r V said:

You forgot Betty vs Veronica…

...with Betty and Veronica I decided to pull a "Deion" and choose BOTH ... B&V were my second loves, after Gwen ... and maybe Sue (... but that may have been an oedipus thing there... ) GOD BLESS....

Well, if you like both Betty and Veronica, then how about this clip from Riverdale with "naughty" Betty singing Mad World:  :luhv:  :blush:

4 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Unlike Church, SF which were first sold to dealers whom sold them to collectors, this is more a "Billy Wright" on steroids type sale. Never before will EVERY collector have a shot at ALL 5000 plus books on a eve  playing field. Billys 367 was a taste of things like, so never before nor never again will an OO 50000+ GA comic book collection be available directly.

I stopped saying “never again” after both the Red Sox and Cubs ended their droughts.

Lets just say “likely never again”…

10 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I stopped saying “never again” after both the Red Sox and Cubs ended their droughts.

Lets just say “likely never again”…

You can add the Houston Asterixes to that list...

Then you got the Padres. Hell bent on their first championship. 

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

The fear of my Strawberry Shortcake collection getting out to the masses was a pretty strong pull to meet their demands.

965363574_200(6).gif.f33461801e00adcccce86ee7075c878a.gif

So Greggy isn't the only one hording these books?

Spoiler

20210520_145014.jpg.0165319bfa61c993487a645609a96eb6.jpg

14 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Edgar Church was probably a weird fellow. Obsessive and compulsive for sure. He might not have even read them. I have examples that when you open the cover, the wet ink on the first page and inside cover are still slightly attached to each other. I immediately closed the cover to maintain the unread status of them. 

I think he bought these once or twice a week and just stacked them up. He rarely missed an issue. It was so ingrained in his behavior. 

No matter his motivation (I doubt it was financial), he assembled the most beautiful and complete collection of comics ever found. A true unicorn.

Touching story or not, it is simply mind blowing. 

Edgar Church wanted to be a comic book artist. 

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

The Crippen collection came out direct to collectors through Heritage in 2006 (well, at least the ones that weren't previously stolen!) and I do remember feeling pretty lucky to have had a shot, as a regular old collector, at participating in the massive dissemination.  The Crippens though were not as nice as these books.   I believe the Gaines File Copies also went direct to collectors around 1992 through either Sotheby's or Christies, but Jim Halperin acquired most of them.  

2 minutes ago, EastEnd1 said:

The Crippen collection came out direct to collectors through Heritage in 2006 (well, at least the ones that weren't previously stolen!) and I do remember feeling pretty lucky to have had a shot, as a regular old collector, at participating in the massive dissemination.  The Crippens though were not as nice as these books.   I believe the Gaines File Copies also went direct to collectors around 1992 through either Sotheby's or Christies, but Jim Halperin acquired most of them.  

How did Crowley come out?

5 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

MoreFun37(MH).jpg.44e2c2a3fdfe356dbf29007bb380879d.jpgNewAdv.26(MH).JPG.ec6e6e679a72b32ad03a98d8e195ad9e.JPG

You're killing my story!  Too bad that New Adventure 26 has that horrible miscut, it could have been worth something.  I'll take that ugly thing off your hands for 1000x of what Chuck paid for it.  Heck, I'm feeling generous, how about 10,000x of what Chuck paid!.

Edited by sfcityduck

1 minute ago, RareHighGrade said:

Okay, but it will cost you more than the 10 cent cover price; I will also need to include shipping fees.

You drive a hard bargain, but you missed my latest overly generous offer: 10,000x of what Chuck paid.  

Damn, I'm feeling so generous, you might be able to get me to add another 0.  I'm guessing though, you might want a wee bit more than that.  LoL!

1 hour ago, EastEnd1 said:

The EC's were sold directly to collectors thru Russ Cochran by mail. They were sold in sets  by title and each set was graded 1-10. Russ and Bob Overstreet went to NY to opent those books with Bill Ganies and used gloves to handle them. I think told me that it was simply amazing to see those books and unwrap them. One set was held out and a few issues like Vault #12 only had 2 copies, I do not think he had any tales of terror an#1 either which is why that books is a must have for any serious GA collectors.

Edited by Mmehdy