• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Discussion About How CGC Label Non-US Publications Which Reprint / Reproduce Original US Comic Content
10 10

480 posts in this topic

On 12/11/2021 at 2:09 PM, CGC Mike said:

Sorry, the wrong warning template was used.  Although, I did state in bold the reason the books were removed.  

OK, no prob Mike. You do see though that this is a very contentious point among some of us.:smile:

• Administrator
On 12/11/2021 at 9:22 AM, Redshade said:

OK, no prob Mike. You do see though that this is a very contentious point among some of us.:smile:

I understand.  We are aware of this thread.  I recommend a little more patience.  

On 12/6/2021 at 9:29 AM, CGC Mike said:

I have brought this up to Matt Nelson.  He says:

we are making an official announcement on this in January.  

On 12/11/2021 at 2:04 PM, Redshade said:

Oh it appears that someone took exception to my CBCS posts and the mods have removed my photos for soliciting for sale in a non-sales post, which I was not but there you go.

They don't like the opposition's products to be shown here Stephen. Your intent was clear, as part of a valid discussion, so it's just pettiness on their part to remove those images. Like CBCS is any competition to them anyway.

On 12/11/2021 at 2:27 PM, CGC Mike said:

I understand.  We are aware of this thread.  I recommend a little more patience.  

I recommend a little more action. 

On 12/11/2021 at 8:37 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I recommend a little more action. 

Lyrics

A little less conversation, a little more action, please
All this aggravation ain't satisfactioning me
A little more bite and a little less bark
A little less fight and a little more spark
Close your mouth and open up your heart and, baby, satisfy me
Satisfy me, baby
Baby, close your eyes and listen to the music
Drifting through a summer breeze
It's a groovy night and I can show you how to use it
Come along with me and put your mind at ease
(Satisfy me) Satisfy me, baby (satisfy me)
Come on, baby, I'm tired of talking
Grab your coat and let's start walking
Come on, come on (come on, come on)
Don't procrastinate, don't articulate
Girl, it's getting late, gettin' upset waitin' around
(Satisfy me) Satisfy me (satisfy me)

On 12/11/2021 at 2:43 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
Lyrics

Satisfy me, baby
Baby, close your eyes and listen to the music
Drifting through a summer breeze
It's a groovy night and I can show you how to use it
Come along with me and put your mind at ease
(Satisfy me) Satisfy me (satisfy me)

All this rubbish labelling ain't satisfactioning me. 

On 12/11/2021 at 8:45 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

All this rubbish labelling ain't satisfactioning me. 

Well you hit the mood perfectly light hearted (thumbsu:yeehaw:

I didn't actually see your link to the song until after I had posted the lyrics :shy: so my bad, but great minds and all that.

On 12/11/2021 at 2:47 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well you hit the mood perfectly light hearted (thumbsu:yeehaw:

I didn't actually see your link to the song until after I had posted the lyrics :shy: so my bad, but great minds and all that.

It's a hobby Mark, but you've got to stand up and have a go once in a while, if you believe in what you're saying. I like CGC Mike, and have been very supportive of him publicly and privately, but saying 'be patient' just misses the mark and is a little patronising. "Settle down children, we'll get to you..."

It's not what I want to see. I want to see "Gee, this is really important to you guys. Let me see if I can get an interim response at least on this - it's the least you deserve".

It seems you can't even shame CGC into making an announcement on anything they don't want to. They're just like everyone else nowadays in positions of power. They hold all the cards, and they fob you off. I'd have more respect for them if they just told me to :censored: off.

5xhzvh.jpg.bf62a0d61be128c713c07a06bfe852a0.jpg

On 12/11/2021 at 4:52 PM, Kathoom said:

CGC shouldn't care that much about foreign reprints anyway :sumo:

Then you'll be delighted to hear that they don't, Stu.  Despite a full year of consciously mislabelling and disrespecting them, they still can't find the time to announce what their strategy actually is. Happy to see you on their side on this. Not that it's needed, but your condemnation actually supports my case.  

On 12/11/2021 at 8:52 AM, Kathoom said:

How many collectors does this "mislabeling" affect, a dozen, two dozen? :flamed: I'm on CGC's side, ignore these  whiners and label it how you want. CGC shouldn't care that much about foreign reprints anyway :sumo:

Why shouldn't they? Because they weren't printed in America? A comic is a comic is a comic. It doesn't matter within what borders the book was printed. What matters is accurately labeling all books regardless.

I agree with you if they're original comics from/to a certain country, but if it's reprints of American comics, eff 'em :sumo: CGC should just stop labeling them entirely.

I was going to add something to the debate but the above just reminded me not to waste my time as there are far nicer places to visit on the Interweb than here.

On 12/11/2021 at 1:53 PM, themagicrobot said:

I was going to add something to the debate but the above just reminded me not to waste my time as there are far nicer places to visit on the Interweb than here.

the CGC boards have historically been very harsh towards foreign comics... I just hope that CGC realizes that for each person that is critical of the new labels there are an equal or possibly more people that like them. I do think some kinks need to be worked out in the label selection but coming from someone that has a large foreign collection (98% raw and never getting slabbed) and US collection I think the labels make sense. I think as long as the foreign title/ publisher/ date is displayed somewhere on the front label it really shouldn't be that big of a deal and I don't understand the bitterness over it. I would love for them to accurately put somewhere on the label what is in the contents of each book but I understand that may be a long-term project. 

Whatever CGC decides to do with the labels I don't think it will really matter or effect the increased interest in foreign comics as of late.  Foreign comics are skyrocketing in value year after year and i think CGC wants to get in on the action ($$) before the majority of the general collecting public is aware of these comics (same as pulps). I've been importing, selling, and collecting foreign books for the last 4-5 years and even I am astounded by how quickly prices are rising and how quickly foreign stock of books are depleted. I used to be able to log on to a foreign ebay site and buy keys all day long for a few dollars each. Now you are lucky to find any key books anywhere for sale and if they do come up they are going to cost 10x what they did just 2 years ago. 

At the end of the day I like the new labels but if they reverted back to the old labels I could care less, it doesn't add value to the book for me. The foreign comics can stand on their own with or with out the label changes. 

Edited by steve566

And just to ruffle some feathers here’s a beautiful book I recently picked up on eBay. South African Luke Cage 1..  🇿🇦 gotta love a comic printed during the apartheid that featured a black superhero on the cover.. these foreign historical oddities is why I love these books. Notice it doesn’t say 1st appearance🤷‍♂️

C8E69735-AF7A-47F9-A574-1D8A73A67EEE.jpeg

Edited by steve566

On 12/12/2021 at 4:19 PM, steve566 said:

And just to ruffle some feathers here’s a beautiful book I recently picked up on eBay. South African Luke Cage 1..  🇿🇦 gotta love a comic printed during the apartheid that featured a black superhero on the cover.. these foreign historical oddities is why I love these books. Notice it doesn’t say 1st appearance🤷‍♂️

C8E69735-AF7A-47F9-A574-1D8A73A67EEE.jpeg

That cover's a riot. Love it.

Is that a misprint, the absence of yellow ink in the blurb wording (and the white bar at the foot of the book)?

Capture.PNG.9f52e92ec5d8a695783406c7a97eec42.PNG

On 12/12/2021 at 11:27 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

That cover's a riot. Love it.

Is that a misprint, the absence of yellow ink in the blurb wording (and the white bar at the foot of the book)?

Capture.PNG.9f52e92ec5d8a695783406c7a97eec42.PNG

Honestly not too sure, I’ve never seen another to compare it to.. I’ll have to do some research and get back to you

On 12/12/2021 at 4:42 PM, steve566 said:

Honestly not too sure, I’ve never seen another to compare it to.. I’ll have to do some research and get back to you

http://southafricancomicbooks.blogspot.com/2014/04/americom-luke-cage-hero-for-hire-1.html

Some goober said: "CGC shouldn't care that much about foreign reprints anyway."

If people are willing to pay money for the books and pay money to slab them and they call themselves a "business" then of course CGC should care about them. I've said it before, CGC are missing a trick not charging people for a special label. If you want your Mystic 40 labelled as TTA 13 to match your TTA 13, that'll be 20 bucks, please. If you want your Mystic 40 labelled as a Mystic 40 to match your Mystic 39 & 41, that'll be 20 bucks, please.

This should not be hard to understand... hm

Edited by rakehell
misquote

On 12/13/2021 at 4:31 AM, rakehell said:

Some goober said: "CGC shouldn't care that much about foreign reprints anyway."

If people are willing to pay money for the books and pay money to slab them and they call themselves a "business" then of course CGC should care about them. I've said it before, CGC are missing a trick not charging people for a special label. If you want your Mystic 40 labelled as TTA 13 to match your TTA 13, that'll be 20 bucks, please. If you want your Mystic 40 labelled as a Mystic 40 to match your Mystic 39 & 41, that'll be 20 bucks, please.

This should not be hard to understand... hm

I think that's what the competition at one point had considered doing.. they fired their foreign comic expert but then offered him a consulting position to come back and help with the foreign labels. They wanted to charge a premium for foreign comic slabbing with accurate labels (cover, all interior stories, etc) since they had to pay a consultant to create the label. Don't think it ever worked out and they have had issues with new foreign labels (not already in the database) ever since they fired that employee.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:33 PM, steve566 said:

I think that's what the competition at one point had considered doing.. they fired their foreign comic expert but then offered him a consulting position to come back and help with the foreign labels. They wanted to charge a premium for foreign comic slabbing with accurate labels (cover, all interior stories, etc) since they had to pay a consultant to create the label. Don't think it ever worked out and they have had issues with new foreign labels (not already in the database) ever since they fired that employee.

At the end of the day Steve, it gets dark, and money will find a way into the mix.

Now, an old guiding hand of mine once told me that if you make a mistake, make amends. I'm a little embarrassed by that puffed up post of mine a few entries above so I'd like to apologise for its overblown tartness to any who read it and rightly thought "What an overblown tart".

Here (hare, here), look how sorry we are, Marwood and I:

2100999503_LAHSorry.gif.7dd6303c67ed19bda57640dde8655965.gif

Comics can get you all ruffled up sometimes, if you care enough about them, but there's no excuse for bad manners is there. Unless you're Buster Bloodvessel or course.....

On 12/13/2021 at 3:01 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

At the end of the day Steve, it gets dark, and money will find a way into the mix.

Now, an old guiding hand of mine once told me that if you make a mistake, make amends. I'm a little embarrassed by that puffed up post of mine a few entries above so I'd like to apologise for its overblown tartness to any who read it and rightly thought "What an overblown tart".

Here (hare, here), look how sorry we are, Marwood and I:

2100999503_LAHSorry.gif.7dd6303c67ed19bda57640dde8655965.gif

Comics can get you all ruffled up sometimes, if you care enough about them, but there's no excuse for bad manners is there. Unless you're Buster Bloodvessel or course.....

all good :) sometimes it happens. For whatever reasons, it happens, all good. :yeehaw: