• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Discussion About How CGC Label Non-US Publications Which Reprint / Reproduce Original US Comic Content
10 10

480 posts in this topic

I read in the Registry forums that foreign comics are not accepted for inclusion. (shrug)

Many of my Miller UK books are undated and lack copyright information.  We run into this problem at GCD when indexing and can only throw an assumed date into the data field with a question mark next to it (similar to an expected announcement from CGC here: 2022 ?).

On 3/23/2022 at 5:23 PM, steve566 said:

Looks like you must have found me on Instagram or Facebook since that’s a book I just got back last week! I too am confused as why they didn’t put the entire German title and instead just sub labeled it hulk 1.. I’ll stay out of the argument since I’ve already shared my opinion which seems to be the way that CGC is heading (or has been doing it for over a year now). I do enjoy hearing opinions from both sides though.. 

I've been a FB member for a while now Steve - I joined following your comments last year and to see what Matt was saying. I don't post as I don't want to hijack what seems to be a steady, happy ship. Annoying everybody here is enough, I think. And I know my comments here are read by those that make the decisions. Notwithstanding my position, I enjoy the discussion too. A good solid argument about comics - all too rare on this forum, lately.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:54 PM, Yorick said:

I read in the Registry forums that foreign comics are not accepted for inclusion. (shrug)

I don't know about that.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:54 PM, Yorick said:

Many of my Miller UK books are undated and lack copyright information.  We run into this problem at GCD when indexing and can only throw an assumed date into the data field with a question mark next to it (similar to an expected announcement from CGC here: 2022 ?).

Why not leave them as undated, and state 'undated' in the data field (if that's possible). That is the factual position, after all. You can always add a note somewhere with an approximate date as a guide, if there is sufficient evidence / collector consensus to warrant it. 

My mistake on the Registry.

"Foreign Editions must be placed into their own sets. Collectors can request a “Foreign Edition/Variant” set if it qualifies for the parameters"

On 3/23/2022 at 6:09 PM, Yorick said:

My mistake on the Registry.

"Foreign Editions must be placed into their own sets. Collectors can request a “Foreign Edition/Variant” set if it qualifies for the parameters"

There's that word 'editions' again. And variant too, I see. 

"Foreign Edition/Variant"

It's not right. 

On 3/23/2022 at 1:56 PM, Yorick said:

I REALLY want one of those Canadian White Dingle covers....  thanks for sharing those images @Bronty.

Very welcome, they are great, and sometimes have Dingle interiors too.   Lots of good art in them.   The stories are typical golden age kind of quality, ranging from somewhat unreadable to still compelling after all this time.

Edited by Bronty

On 3/23/2022 at 6:14 PM, Bronty said:
On 3/23/2022 at 5:56 PM, Yorick said:

I REALLY want one of those Canadian White Dingle covers....  thanks for sharing those images @Bronty.

Very welcome, they are great, and sometimes have Dingle interiors too.   Lots of good art in them.   The stories are typical golden age kind of quality, ranging from somewhat unreadable to still compelling after all this time.

That's the one thing that unites us all I think - CGC included. We all love the books. 

On 3/23/2022 at 1:56 PM, Yorick said:

If you want one book as a representative Dingle book, I'd recommend looking at Wow 15-30.    All have appearances of the Penguin by Dingle, which is a darker, Batman-like character, and the later issues have Doc Stearne appearances (who later becomes Mr. Monster - the same Mr Monster as in the 1980s btw).   

Almost all have Dingle covers as well.    A good single issue if you could find one would be #26 with the classic Dingle cover. 

2808514%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chain

On 3/23/2022 at 6:21 PM, Bronty said:

If you want one book as a representative Dingle book, I'd recommend looking at Wow 15-30.    All have appearances of the Penguin by Dingle, which is a darker, Batman-like character, and the later issues have Doc Stearne appearances (who later becomes Mr. Monster - the same Mr Monster as in the 1980s btw).   

Almost all have Dingle covers as well.    A good single issue if you could find one would be #26 with the classic Dingle cover. 

2808514]&call=url[file:product.chain

That's a cracker.

Funnily enough, I've been looking into the 1946 Bell Features books to see if I can find any UK Price Variants, i.e. books where there are both Canadian and separate UK priced books extant, and from the same print run. Here are the current files, which are a work in progress:

Capture.thumb.PNG.709ab3d690187c76fda09d728e0eb02d.PNG

I hope to start up a thread about them - and other non-US books such as K G Murray, Better Publications and Super Comics - some time soon. 

On 3/23/2022 at 6:29 PM, Bronty said:

I'm sure Stephen (eccomic) could give some additional input on that if needed.     Offhand, it seems to me like the Speed Savage one shot should be included because IIRC one of the covers was for UK distribution only.

Yes, he seems to be the man on them, and I'm hoping he'll join in when I get it started.  

On 3/23/2022 at 6:30 PM, Yorick said:

I'm sure you've all seen this thread in GA:

Yup :)

On 3/23/2022 at 6:33 PM, Yorick said:

Happen to know who this "Romero" (sp?) artist is?

Private Lives 9 (reducio).jpg

I don't, no, but she looks like Sean Young <3

I'm off for my dinner. It's dinner time in Blighty. 

Here's one US reprint book ('Canadian Pep 22' from 1942 - Pep 22 was 1941) that they labelled correctly.   Correct name, correct date, correct reprint details, and NOT listed as a Canadian “edition”.  

What's so hard about doing it this way in all instances?   And why no consistency?

super.jpg

Edited by Bronty

On 3/23/2022 at 2:31 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, he seems to be the man on them, and I'm hoping he'll join in when I get it started.  

Yup :)

Also, 

having visited Stephen just this past weekend, one thing I noted in looking at some of those late whites when they were distributing into the UK around 1946 is that some just have the UK price applied overtop of the Canadian price, as a sticker.   Presumably with the sticker removed you couldn’t tell a difference (?).

Edited by Bronty

On 3/23/2022 at 9:27 PM, Bronty said:

Also, 

having visited Stephen just this past weekend, one thing I noted in looking at some of those late whites when they were distributing into the UK around 1946 is that some just have the UK price applied overtop of the Canadian price, as a sticker.   Presumably with the sticker removed you couldn’t tell a difference (?).

Yes, like this one I picked up last year:

509848666_ComicCrimes11(Nov-Dec1946)BellFeatures-1ShillingSticker.thumb.jpg.0d8949cf7a63987bdbaff04655369f9b.jpg

For this issue, there are printed dual prices under the sticker on all the copies I've located:

705297838_ComicCrimes11(Nov-Dec1946)BellFeatures-9dDualPriced.jpg.93d0c40a4273a8d2e5f94f9c871758ce.jpg

For there to be a UK Price Variant, there would have to be a copy with a cents only printed price, making the dual priced one UK distribution specific (like the dual priced 1960s Dells).

But lets' wait for my forthcoming thread on it, eh? I've lots to discuss and will flag you guys when I get it going. 

I don't want to lose the drift of this thread which I'd like to stay focussed on the fact that CGC's labelling strategy for non-US published books is a disaster. If we deviate too far from that, Mr Nelson may stop reading. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.c3771af6332d28a1966cdac8596385d9.PNG

On 3/23/2022 at 10:01 AM, rakehell said:

Except it's actually Canadian. :insane:

ACTUALLY...Canadian is a misleading description even.  This is a Quebecois edition, printed and sold in Quebec.  There had been Canadian editions of books going back to the 40s of course.