• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2021 at 6:01 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Good example of why I generally avoid .5 grades.

My working theory is that there are people who set out to buy (for example) 8.0 or better and they'll take an 8.5 but they don't really think of it as appreciably better than an 8.0, eye appeal being more or less equal.  My theory is that very few people set out with a target grade of 8.5.

(Fight me.)

On 8/31/2021 at 6:02 PM, Wolverinex said:

That's actually Why I buy.5 grades because it's a better deal

I have found that 5.5 is the most unloved grade of all, and a great way to get bargains on high-priced keys, for exactly the reasons outlined here.

On 8/31/2021 at 6:01 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Good example of why I generally avoid .5 grades.

My working theory is that there are people who set out to buy (for example) 8.0 or better and they'll take an 8.5 but they don't really think of it as appreciably better than an 8.0, eye appeal being more or less equal.  My theory is that very few people set out with a target grade of 8.5.

(Fight me.)

Generally agree.  I don't see a big difference between most .5s south of 8.0.  However, I generally notice a material difference between an 8.0 and 8.5.  To me, it's a big 'step up' in grade.  E.g., more than 7.5 to 8.0, or 8.5 to 9.0.

On 9/1/2021 at 5:29 AM, Brock said:

I have found that 5.5 is the most unloved grade of all, and a great way to get bargains on high-priced keys, for exactly the reasons outlined here.

Yes indeed. I collect raw GA to read and enjoy. I love books that are strict 5.0-8.0. Often, very nice copies with appeal and won’t break the bank.

I have always felt that .5 grades were just a tool to “pimp up” a book and get a little more money for it. 

On the subject of White Pages, (in proper newsprint comics,) how long will the pages remain white? Surely over time all newsprint pages will start to go off-white, cream, then tan to some degree? Does a CGC slab offer any degree of protection against the effects of time in that regard? ??? 

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 9/1/2021 at 12:28 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

On the subject of White Pages, (in proper newsprint comics,) how long will the pages remain white? Surely over time all newsprint pages will start to go off-white, cream, then tan to some degree? Does a CGC slab offer any degree of protection against the effects of time in that regard? ??? 

On the link below, please read the section titled, "Are CGC Cases Waterproof," there is some helpful commentary here that addresses aspects of your question.

https://thecollectorsresource.com/blog/getting-to-know-your-cgc-comic-book-cases/

On 9/1/2021 at 10:09 AM, zosocane said:

I still can't get my head around this.

I am hoping that is was someone who discovered this was the exact book from their childhood given to them by someone with tremendous sentimental value.    Because not sure the value is there outside of sentiment.     But you still need at least two people bidding to get to that amount.   Maybe estranged siblings battling over their long-gone parent's lost comic........

The buyer could have likely landed a ASM #1 in 6.5/7.0 for that amount.    Or the first appearance of Doc in close to the same grade.  

On 9/1/2021 at 6:13 PM, zosocane said:

On the link below, please read the section titled, "Are CGC Cases Waterproof," there is some helpful commentary here that addresses aspects of your question.

https://thecollectorsresource.com/blog/getting-to-know-your-cgc-comic-book-cases/

Thank you for the link. I found the whole article useful, in fact. 

On 9/1/2021 at 2:37 PM, UncleBEN said:

Those truly shocked by the ASM 11 pricing , must not be trying to put together a high grade ASM run.

At $36K, this goes beyond that.  The last reported CGC 9.0 went for $4K two years ago -- a 200% annual growth rate.  I appreciate that ASM 11 is a very tough book in high grade, and that has a lot to do with this record-breaker for a second-appearance book.  

There are 18 9.0s on the census, with eight 9.2s, nine 9.4s, and seven 9.6s.  Congrats to their owners.  

Edited by zosocane

On 9/1/2021 at 9:46 AM, zosocane said:

Generally agree.  I don't see a big difference between most .5s south of 8.0.  However, I generally notice a material difference between an 8.0 and 8.5.  To me, it's a big 'step up' in grade.  E.g., more than 7.5 to 8.0, or 8.5 to 9.0.

Agree completely.  My theory makes more sense the lower down the scale you go.

On 9/1/2021 at 8:12 PM, Beige said:

I paid $365 for my 9.8, and this was right after Into the Spider-Verse came out.  I thought I was late to the party.  lol

I also went out and spent $400 on Marvel Tails #1 (Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham!!!) and I'm guessing that one is not a ten-bagger.

On 9/1/2021 at 12:52 PM, zosocane said:

At $36K, this goes beyond that.  The last reported CGC 9.0 went for $4K two years ago -- a 200% annual growth rate.  I appreciate that ASM 11 is a very tough book in high grade, and that has a lot to do with this record-breaker for a second-appearance book.  

There are 18 9.0s on the census, with eight 9.2s, nine 9.4s, and seven 9.6s.  Congrats to their owners.  

My point was that high grade ASM'S simply are in their own price point, and collectors will pay a premium to complete runs. With the latest market trajectory it was only a matter of time until books like 11 and 2 which are harder to find went for record numbers and honestly the entire run is on fire right now.  Thankfully I only need a couple of books to finish it up but anyone late to the show now has to have very deep pockets 

On 9/2/2021 at 11:39 AM, DC# said:

For those who like looking at numbers.....below is a recap of some select titles/issues from the last ComicLink auction.   Compares CL results to Last and 90 Day GPA.     Tried to make sure it was all apples to apples and only titles that had sales in the past 2-3 months but there may be an oddball or two in there.    And apologies to GA or non-Marvel fans - this is all Marvel stuff.   Some general thoughts:

- Clearly trending down with a few flat to up spots here and there.   Even looking at "Last" and "90 Day" shows the down trend.   For this bucket of books - the average was down 12.6% vs Last and 12.3% vs 90 Day

- This CL auction seemed particularly weak.  Some of the sales were really way off the mark.   Though I will say some of the Comic Connect results this week are below these CL results.  

- The most consistent bright spot is the Spider-man Silver-Age villains which seem to be on a hot streak right now.  

Noticed that I didn't update the Secret Wars #8 numbers below.   9.8 was $695 vs $930/$726 and the 9.6 was $303 vs $348/$344

212349771_ScreenShot2021-09-02at8_23_25AM.png.463a4e6a37e80b3de9b13f33834920db.png

473528140_ScreenShot2021-09-02at8_23_42AM.png.052872bd854e5736ddb2351ff035c5fe.png

625632491_ScreenShot2021-09-02at8_24_03AM.png.d039e15c3a8176b502be5c8525a2340c.png

722185896_ScreenShot2021-09-02at8_24_19AM.png.4a98ecbf71cf2fe740baaa42a0d578bf.png

Thats about how my Etrade account looked last summer. 

Are you tracking TOD 1 or TOD 10? Pretty sure those are TOD 10 prices. 

Edited by PKJ

Thanks, that is super helpful ... but all I can tell you is that almost everything I bid on (in both the CL and CC auctions) went for way more than I expected.  I was bidding on high-grade Marvel silver and bronze age books and pretty much every time I had to dig deep if I wanted to win.