• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,178 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2022 at 12:38 PM, Pantodude said:

Enough doom and gloom!  :baiting: True, even early Spidey's showed kinks in their armor across the board this year.  But ALL (!) the early Spideys #1 thru #20 had at least one grade in which the most recent sale (all in recent months) set all-time GPA records (actually, 3 of the 34 grades below nearly matched the record, so I included them, too).  E.g.:

ASM #2 in 6.5, 7.0

#3 in 1.0 

#4 in 5.0

#5 in 6.0, 7.0

#6 in 9.2

#7 in 9.0, 8.5

#8 in 6.5

#9 in 1.0

#10 in 4.0, 2.5

#11 in 8.0, 7.5, 6.5

#12 in 1.0

#13 in 9.2, 2.5 

#14 in 9.0

#15 in 1.5

#16 in 9.0

#17 in 8.0, 7.0, 5.5 

#18 in 8.5, 2.0

#19 in 9.2, 8.5, 7.0, 6.5, 6.0

#20 in 9.4, 9.0 

It has to start somewhere, right?  :whee:

Yes! 
 Probably a bit of a bear market on comics but my guess is we are entering another bull market shortly  📈

it’s not like books are going for $0, be patient and you will be rewarded. And in the meantime, remember that comics don’t cost much to feed (as one seller once told me). 

@DC# Really interesting data, thanks for taking the time to compile...a lot of work I'm sure! :foryou:

I wonder if we'll see further correction or things will flatten and stabilize overall. Summer is typically slow for eBay sales, but I've seen a major downturn of activity in my eBay store activity unlike anything I've encountered in 20 years of selling on The Bay. I think inflation, interest rates and a hangover from 2021 all play a part in the softening.

Edited by Inhuman Fiend

On 8/7/2022 at 11:09 AM, Dark Knight said:

What a year 2021 was for practically all collectibles (at least the ones I've been tracking: comics, sports cards, and video games). Those who sold last year made a lot of $$$. 

It was crazy to witness.  I followed the exponential rise of ASM 300 in 9.8

Every sale dwarfing the last. Peaked at about 8K 

Now about 5k

On 8/7/2022 at 6:49 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

It was crazy to witness.  I followed the exponential rise of ASM 300 in 9.8

Every sale dwarfing the last. Peaked at about 8K 

Now about 5k

As I recall, that book was stable at $2,000 for a very long time.  That's the price I bought at and, given the insane supply, I'm not sure why it's gone any higher.

FWIW, the neat early SA mini-run of vol. 1 of Hulk #1-#6 has been particularly bright, recently setting records or getting close in many grades of ALL six issues, as follows:

#1 in 7.5, 5.5, 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, 1.0

#2 in 4.0, 3.5, 3.0 is already a new high in tonights Heritage auction

#3 in 8.5, 7.5, 3.0, 2.0, 1.5

#4 in 6.5, 5.5, 2.5, 2.0, 1.8

#5 in 8.0, 6.0, 5.5, 4.5, 2.0, 1.5 

#6 in 8.5, 8.0, 7.5, 6.5, 5.0, 2.0

So while much is still meh out there, many bright spots, too.  Just spreading some sunshine (thumbsu

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/8/2022 at 8:52 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

As I recall, that book was stable at $2,000 for a very long time.  That's the price I bought at and, given the insane supply, I'm not sure why it's gone any higher.

We have 80+ pages talking about the rise of this book, and we're not even the guys laying down the clams for the books!   Comics are way bigger than these forums, we're missing a big chunk of the picture.

On 8/7/2022 at 10:30 PM, Microchip said:

We have 80+ pages talking about the rise of this book, and we're not even the guys laying down the clams for the books!   Comics are way bigger than these forums, we're missing a big chunk of the picture.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying ... I realize that this is the top book of the Copper Age, at least among Marvel books.  (TNMT #1 is obviously way more expensive and the may be other examples I'm not thinking of.)  I also realize that it will always be an all-time iconic cover and will therefore always be in demand.  I'm just saying the supply side of the equation has to eventually factor in too.  (See TNMT #1 above.)

Anyway I'm glad I got my 9.8 WP before the price jumped.

On 8/8/2022 at 1:34 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying ... I realize that this is the top book of the Copper Age, at least among Marvel books.  (TNMT #1 is obviously way more expensive and the may be other examples I'm not thinking of.)  I also realize that it will always be an all-time iconic cover and will therefore always be in demand.  I'm just saying the supply side of the equation has to eventually factor in too.  (See TNMT #1 above.)

Anyway I'm glad I got my 9.8 WP before the price jumped.

Well you know it's supply, and demand that determine prices.   We know one half of that in terms of supply.   The demand for this book is in whole different category of collector to us here on the forum.   I personally don't know anyone who's spent more than the same amount as you've spent on this book.   And yet the prices seen for this far and away exceed that number.

On 8/6/2022 at 6:40 PM, DC# said:

Here is my Dow 30 updated for July (for those interested in the methodology I have added the original post in the quote below).     A big downturn this quarter with Silver taking its first material slide.   

Silver was down 10.2% vs July 21, down 13.8% vs April 22

Bronze was down 8.1% vs July 21, down 11.3% vs April 22

Copper/Modern was down 13% vs July 21, down 10.5% vs April 22

In aggregate down 9.8% vs July 21 and down 12.6% vs April 22

Great job on your part in compliling these stats and summary graphs for us here, as I am sure it must take quite a bit of time to do this.  :applause:

Too bad there's really no info on the GA market, as I guess many of these slaes are really more like one-off sales since the supply is so low.  hm

On 8/8/2022 at 1:42 AM, Microchip said:

Well you know it's supply, and demand that determine prices.   We know one half of that in terms of supply.   The demand for this book is in whole different category of collector to us here on the forum.   I personally don't know anyone who's spent more than the same amount as you've spent on this book.   And yet the prices seen for this far and away exceed that number.

OK that is a very interesting theory you're floating ... namely, that certain books have a kind of "crossover appeal" so that there's demand coming for those books outside what we think of as the comic collecting community.  I wonder how anyone might attempt to measure that.

Just going on intuition, it does seem like if you're the kind of person whose collection is ten books or less, ASM #300 would be high on the list of books that might be in that small collection.

On 8/7/2022 at 10:46 AM, Gregd said:

Probably a bit of a bear market on comics but my guess is we are entering another bull market shortly  📈

On 8/7/2022 at 8:09 AM, Dark Knight said:

What a year 2021 was for practically all collectibles (at least the ones I've been tracking: comics, sports cards, and video games). Those who sold last year made a lot of $$$. 

Well, definitely NOT a bear market across the board since prices are still going great guns for certain books as I just noticed this listing here:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/lightning-comics-6-ace-1941-condition-fr/a/122232-13530.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Lightning Comics #6 (Ace, 1941) Condition: FR....

Already sitting at $2,400 with still another couple more hours to go, especially since the condition guide value for this FAIR entry level copy is only at $84.  The other low grade raw condition copies in this run also don't appear to be doing too badly at this point in time since they are already sitting at several hundred dollars, with a couple more already hitting 4-figures.  :applause:

No idea how they are doing from a year over year POV, but with these collectible comic books, isn't it really more in terms of their longer run valuation trends, especially if you are a vintage comic book collector as opposed to a shorter term speculator or flipper.  hm  (thumbsu

On 8/7/2022 at 8:34 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I also realize that it will always be an all-time iconic cover and will therefore always be in demand.  I'm just saying the supply side of the equation has to eventually factor in too.

Well, although we've clearly seen the demand side of the equation for this particular book (i.e. Spidey 300), I feel that we've barely scratch the surfacr so far when it comes to slabbed HG copies of this book here.  hm

Especially when you go to any local comic book convention and virtually every single dealer table still have HG raw copies of this book sitting there for sale at hope for full slabbed prices.  Whenever I go to a comic con, I see an overwhelming much higher proportion of raw HG copies of this books as opposed to slabbed HG copies. (shrug)

On 8/8/2022 at 5:09 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, definitely NOT a bear market across the board since prices are still going great guns for certain books as I just noticed this listing here:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/lightning-comics-6-ace-1941-condition-fr/a/122232-13530.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Lightning Comics #6 (Ace, 1941) Condition: FR....

Already sitting at $2,400 with still another couple more hours to go, especially since the condition guide value for this FAIR entry level copy is only at $84.  The other low grade raw condition copies in this run also don't appear to be doing too badly at this point in time since they are already sitting at several hundred dollars, with a couple more already hitting 4-figures.  :applause:

No idea how they are doing from a year over year POV, but with these collectible comic books, isn't it really more in terms of their longer run valuation trends, especially if you are a vintage comic book collector as opposed to a shorter term speculator or flipper.  hm  (thumbsu

GA and classic magazines from the 60s/70s with their low numbers of HG books probably are a good bet for continued stellar returns. 

On 8/9/2022 at 6:12 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

OK that is a very interesting theory you're floating ... namely, that certain books have a kind of "crossover appeal" so that there's demand coming for those books outside what we think of as the comic collecting community.  I wonder how anyone might attempt to measure that.

Just going on intuition, it does seem like if you're the kind of person whose collection is ten books or less, ASM #300 would be high on the list of books that might be in that small collection.

I think there's whole classes of collectors out there who see this book as a top collecting milestone.  For you and me, it's a nice, interesting book at best, a mile away from a focussed collecting goal.

On 8/8/2022 at 7:00 PM, Microchip said:

I think there's whole classes of collectors out there who see this book as a top collecting milestone.  For you and me, it's a nice, interesting book at best, a mile away from a focussed collecting goal.

This book was published just as I was coming into my own as a college-age kid who could afford to buy all my favorite comics at the local comic shop.  So although the Silver Age is what truly captured my imagination as the starting point for all these characters I love, I understood in real time that Todd McFarlane was something special.  I know it's impossible to tease apart, but I'm convinced the value of this book depends at least as much on McFarlane as it does on Venom, a character I always considered B-list at best.

On 8/9/2022 at 11:44 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

This book was published just as I was coming into my own as a college-age kid who could afford to buy all my favorite comics at the local comic shop.  So although the Silver Age is what truly captured my imagination as the starting point for all these characters I love, I understood in real time that Todd McFarlane was something special.  I know it's impossible to tease apart, but I'm convinced the value of this book depends at least as much on McFarlane as it does on Venom, a character I always considered B-list at best.

Oh I agree, and I'm the worst person to talk on a Spidey book... I've avoid collecting them.   But I do remember that time well, as well.   Todd quickly turned into an artist super star, and the spider run was fantastic, but they were so plentiful, there was no urgency getting them.   And from the day the issue came out, ASM300 was celebrated as a big deal by the Spidey collectors, and others.   I guess I'm the same as you, I went looking elsewhere, SA, BA, mod's you name it.    But for a lot of guys, ASM300 is a big deal.   It's got a few things going for it.   And in the age of slabs, it's a gorgeous book to have in the collection.   

On 8/8/2022 at 9:50 PM, Microchip said:

Oh I agree, and I'm the worst person to talk on a Spidey book... I've avoid collecting them.   But I do remember that time well, as well.   Todd quickly turned into an artist super star, and the spider run was fantastic, but they were so plentiful, there was no urgency getting them.   And from the day the issue came out, ASM300 was celebrated as a big deal by the Spidey collectors, and others.   I guess I'm the same as you, I went looking elsewhere, SA, BA, mod's you name it.    But for a lot of guys, ASM300 is a big deal.   It's got a few things going for it.   And in the age of slabs, it's a gorgeous book to have in the collection.   

I agree with that.

I think a lot of us see ASM 300 and secret wars 8 as common keys. 

But for a certain segment of comic book collectors,whether new to the hobby or based on their age, those two books are their dream books.

On 8/8/2022 at 2:53 PM, Gregd said:

GA and classic magazines from the 60s/70s with their low numbers of HG books probably are a good bet for continued stellar returns. 

The best part about books like this Lightning 6 which finished up at $2,520 or something like 30X its condition guide value is that you don't need to worry if it's in HG or not, because books like these carry value in all grades across the entire condition spectrum as evident by this raw condition Fair graded copy.  (thumbsu

Looks like the 7 other issues surrounding this copy here, also all in raw lower graded condition, were not far behind in terms of the final prices realized.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February           .40% increase
February to March            2.05% increase
March to April                   4.07% decrease
April to May                      1.14% decrease
May to June                        .01% decrease
June to July                      1.83% decrease
July to August                   3.15% decrease

Market vs. July:
Spider-Man 129     UP
Spider-Man 300     UP
Saga 1 RRP     DOWN
Sandman 1      DOWN

On 8/14/2022 at 9:20 AM, Troy Division said:

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February           .40% increase
February to March            2.05% increase
March to April                   4.07% decrease
April to May                      1.14% decrease
May to June                        .01% decrease
June to July                      1.83% decrease
July to August                   3.15% decrease

Market vs. July:
Spider-Man 129     UP
Spider-Man 300     UP
Saga 1 RRP     DOWN
Sandman 1      DOWN

That's pretty depressing when you consider the cumulative decline from January. Ugh