• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,153 posts in this topic

Maybe we need Moses to lead us out of this quagmire as this looks pretty much like a sea of red to me.  lol

Then again, if you are a longer term collector as opposed to a short term speculator or day trade flipper, I am sure you are still doing just perfectly fine if you compare today's prices to what these books were going for only a few short years or from a longer viewpoint, even decades ago.  :banana:  :whee:

Yep, if you brought your high flyers during the peak of the crazed comic book marketplace last year and sent them into the CCS/CGC long term storage facilty for some TLC and marinating and still waiting to get them back, you are definitely not looking so good.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

After the rush comes the Hangover. The good thing is if there is a crash in any market there is always exaggeration on the way down. Panic if you like. Everybody tries to find a sucker to hold the bag. And if there is a broad culling, the quality stuff goes down too. Not as far as the drek but still.

On 7/19/2022 at 10:45 AM, zosocane said:

That sea of red is a snapshot of speculators leaving the hobby.  And just as fast as they cashed out/took losses, they will scurry back when the Fantastic Four trailer drops toward the end of next year.

And just as fast, if not even faster, they will all run for the exits as soon as the movie hits the silver screen, TV network, or what have you.  :tonofbricks:

On 7/19/2022 at 11:05 AM, GermanFan said:

After the rush comes the Hangover. The good thing is if there is a crash in any market there is always exaggeration on the way down. Panic if you like. Everybody tries to find a sucker to hold the bag. And if there is a broad culling, the quality stuff goes down too. Not as far as the drek but still.

I believe the exaggeration works to the extreme on both ends of the market, whether it be on the up side or on the down side.  hm

And are we talking about the comic book market here or the equity markets as some of the speculative high profile high fliers over there have cratered by some 60% to 80%+ from their recent highs, while even the big boys have dropped off by anywhere from 25% and up.  (shrug)  :tonofbricks:

It looks like a lot of those books listed are sinking back down to values close to those in 2018.  In some cases, extremely close.

It's interesting to see that some books in some grades are actually worth less now than four years ago (see: ASM #3, GSX).  

Edit: Nevermind!  I was misreading the chart!  My bad!  

Edited by djzombi

On 7/19/2022 at 7:00 PM, djzombi said:

It looks like a lot of those books listed are sinking back down to values close to those in 2018.  In some cases, extremely close.

It's interesting to see that some books in some grades are actually worth less now than four years ago (see: ASM #3, GSX).  

Not sure if I am reading his chart correctly, but I believe it says that ASM 3 has actually increased by something like 34% over the last sale and by 5% over the 90-day average.  Well, at least in CGC 4.0 grade, so don't know how useful that is on an overall comparion basis.  (shrug)

With respect to GSXM 1 which I assume you would be referring to...............for the 9.8 graded copies at least and again FWIW, I believe they are now trading generally in the $40K to $50K price range, as opposed to less than $10K back in 2018.  :gossip:

Maybe what we all need to do is take a look at the longer term trend for these books as opposed to trying to match up one time (possible outlier) auction sales results by grade.  Let's all run out to our LCS and grab the new edition of the Overstreet Guide when it comes out tomorrow.  lol

On 7/19/2022 at 10:00 PM, djzombi said:

Hey there.   It seems like (or at least I'm really hoping!) you are wildly wrong here regarding both books. GPA shows that even with the above recent sales of GSX1 (9.2, 7.0, 4.5), it remains about 3x 2018 prices (!).  And ASM3 in 4.0, even at $4200, remains much higher than the $1K it went for in January 2018, and still >2x the $2K it went for at end of 2018.  (shrug)   So what info did you use?    

Edited by Pantodude

On 7/20/2022 at 4:32 AM, djzombi said:

Hey guys, I'm just an insufficiently_thoughtful_person that thought the chart was comparing recent sales to Heritage auction prices from "7/17/18."  :flamed:
Nothing to see here... move along...  (:

(I'll blame it on me being tired...yeah, let's go with that...)

I’ll take the blame - meant to show it as 7/17-18.   

On 7/19/2022 at 11:44 PM, lou_fine said:

Not sure if I am reading his chart correctly, but I believe it says that ASM 3 has actually increased by something like 34% over the last sale and by 5% over the 90-day average.  Well, at least in CGC 4.0 grade, so don't know how useful that is on an overall comparion basis.  (shrug)

With respect to GSXM 1 which I assume you would be referring to...............for the 9.8 graded copies at least and again FWIW, I believe they are now trading generally in the $40K to $50K price range, as opposed to less than $10K back in 2018.  :gossip:

Maybe what we all need to do is take a look at the longer term trend for these books as opposed to trying to match up one time (possible outlier) auction sales results by grade.  Let's all run out to our LCS and grab the new edition of the Overstreet Guide when it comes out tomorrow.  lol

yeah, ASM 3 is doing extremely well compared to early 2020..I recently sold a restored incomplete for twice as much as I bought it in early 2020 (550 at auction sold for 1100 last month)..I am hoping to get a blue label soon. But like most ASM's they have contracted overall a little bit from the insanity of last summer (I probably could have got 1400 for that restored ASM 3 last summer..LOL) and are leveling off to late 2020 prices. 

But anyone with GPA can see trend lines and longterm averages over the past 20 years ..doesn't include sales from LCS and conventions but still gives you a better idea

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 7/29/2022 at 4:52 PM, DC# said:

Working the CL Session 1 recap.   In the meantime....another WTH sales on Heritage.      90 day is around $1700 for newsstand.   Did someone think this is Canadian variant?  

1447543574_ScreenShot2022-07-29at1_45_59PM.thumb.png.234111830f3e1390dcfe4069d967a06e.png

Makes no sense. Not even white pages. There are better prices on ebay right now with WP . Predicting this one will be for sale again very soon.

Edited by Motor City Rob

On 7/29/2022 at 5:43 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Makes no sense. Not even white pages. There are better prices on ebay right now with WP . Predicting this one will be for sale again very soon.

When I did the Heritage weekend recap a few posts ago in this thread - the results showed up in GPA in less than 24 hours.    This one as still not shown up......going to keep an eye on it.  

On 7/29/2022 at 5:43 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Well, if you really want White Pages, then I guess you just have to stop being such a tightwad and be willing to dig much much deeper into your pocket:  :screwy:

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+1063+790+231+232&Ne=230&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Nty=1&Ntt=amazing+spider-man+300&limitTo=790+231+232

On 7/28/2022 at 4:06 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Wow, what a price difference :whatthe:

55B773D5-9231-4F97-BB20-451894076319.jpeg

So not comic book related but very interesting.   The auction of a mint 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle rookie card is going to set a record (bidding is already tied with the prior record holder Honus Wagner at $6.6m and there is a month to go).   

The story behind the card is one of those fantasies most of us have about finding collectible treasures like the Mile High or Church collection.    Fun videos to watch.  

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1952-topps-mickey-mantle-311-sgc-mint-95-1985-rosen-find-finest-known-example-/a/50058-53014.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

1EC50D5B-2FEC-4D48-B40E-A307F79EF89E.thumb.jpeg.50bc819a8d880a6aeb1a1d3e783b9e71.jpeg

Edited by DC#

On 7/30/2022 at 7:36 AM, DC# said:

So not comic book related but very interesting.   The auction of a mint 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle rookie card is going to set a record (bidding is already tied with the prior record holder Honus Wagner at $6.6m and there is a month to go).   

The story behind the card is one of those fantasies most of us have about finding collectible treasures like the Mile High or Church collection.    Fun videos to watch.  

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1952-topps-mickey-mantle-311-sgc-mint-95-1985-rosen-find-finest-known-example-/a/50058-53014.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

1EC50D5B-2FEC-4D48-B40E-A307F79EF89E.thumb.jpeg.50bc819a8d880a6aeb1a1d3e783b9e71.jpeg

I’ve been watching YouTube videos the past few days of people attending the National.  I don’t actively collect cards currently, but there are a few I would like to get.  Looks like a lot of fun.  

For those who don’t know, the National is basically the SDCC of sports cards.