• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2022 at 3:13 PM, piper said:

I haven't looked at GPA for 9.8 copies but $90k still feels like a strong price when compared to 3 years ago.

(I'm quite happy with my 8.5 copy purchased many moons ago...)

I've only ever owned a slabbed 8.5 ( wish I still had it :frown:)

Cost me $750.  And that was by far my biggest purchase at the time.

On 11/7/2022 at 4:23 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I've only ever owned a slabbed 8.5 ( wish I still had it :frown:)

Cost me $750.  And that was by far my biggest purchase at the time.

I didn’t pay much more than $1000 USD myself. I have a hard time psychologically paying these inflated prices. I guess I need to get over that… The reality is that prices are getting to the point where I could do other substantive things with the money (e.g  Trip to the Greek islands, classic car Several Mortgage Payments, etc.).

On 11/7/2022 at 7:34 PM, piper said:

I didn’t pay much more than $1000 USD myself. I have a hard time psychologically paying these inflated prices. I guess I need to get over that… The reality is that prices are getting to the point where I could do other substantive things with the money (e.g  Trip to the Greek islands, classic car Several Mortgage Payments, etc.).

The book is no longer a consideration for me, despite wanting to replace it.  I don’t want anything less than a VF, and the price for an 8.0 seems excessive just to put one in a box in my room.  

On 11/7/2022 at 6:01 PM, DC# said:

Not to go back to old topics but somewhat related to the Pedigree conversation given the recent IH 181 9.8 sale.    Yet another 9.8 sold on Heritage last night for $90k.    So that was $125k on Pedigree, $148k on Clink (Sucha news), $86.4k on Goldin, and $90k on Heritage........all in the past 4 weeks or so.  

There was also a $138K copy on Heritage 2 months ago. 

What this shows is that the floor seems to be the $90K range where it has been for a year now, and that the ceiling in the $150K range for premium copies such as the Sucha News.

Sucha copies in general seem to usually fetch premiums and a 20-30% range for non-Pedigree copies seems to be right in the range of fluctuation for high grade Bronze where people weight page quality and production quality much more than SA or GA books. 

On 11/7/2022 at 4:57 PM, darkstar said:

If the owner of an auction house is of questionable character and that is going to keep you from bidding on their auctions you should probably avoid Goldin and Heritage too. 

Valid point.  I don't know anything about the backstory of Goldin, but I've heard enough about Halperin over at Heritage.

What can I say, I have collecting goals that are hard enough to attain as it is.  If I start cutting myself off from some of the most useful places to find the books on my list, I'll never get there.

On 11/8/2022 at 3:00 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Are you saying someone else built Pedigree and he bought it out?  Or that he always had Pedigree but hadn't yet built the auction capability?

The guys have corrected me, Doug had quarterly auctions at the time.  With other dealers joking with him, that he wouldn't use his own site to sell his run.    

He did have the #1, or #2 top collection on the CGC collectors society.   I'm trying to recall, it was him or Ghost Town for the highest tally of points.  

On 11/7/2022 at 11:04 PM, Microchip said:

The guys have corrected me, Doug had quarterly auctions at the time.  With other dealers joking with him, that he wouldn't use his own site to sell his run.    

He did have the #1, or #2 top collection on the CGC collectors society.   I'm trying to recall, it was him or Ghost Town for the highest tally of points.  

GhostTownAuctions.com ... an idea whose time has come.

On 11/8/2022 at 3:06 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

GhostTownAuctions.com ... an idea whose time has come.

CaptainTripps.com is surely available.

Look for an auction on Heritage with CGC 9.8 early Spidey's, early FF's, JIM's, that will be Doug's sell off.

On 11/7/2022 at 5:48 PM, Microchip said:

Yes, for quite a while, but Doug wasn't running auctions on pedigree at that time.    

Doug was running PC Grand Auctions prior to selling his Marvel Comics collection via HG. He stated that he did not sell his collection via PC in order to not compete with consigners. Back then I received the PC auction emails and below is pasted one for the July 2012 PC GA. This was at least the second PC GA; there were likely others. His Marvel Collection was auctioned on HG on or commencing on July 26, 2012.

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi1.createsend5.com

CALLING ALL CONSIGNORS!

Greetings to all of you from Pedigree Comics, Inc. The consignments are coming in for our upcoming July Grand Auction, scheduled to begin in just under three (3) weeks on the night of Monday, July 9th, 2012, and last for ten (10) days until the evening of Thursday, July 19th. The auction will have some brand new choice high grade CGC certified Marvels and DC's from the Silver and Bronze Ages and much more. The sooner you consign your books the more exposure and press they will receive. We aggressively promote and advertise each Grand Auction on many online sites and trade publications and we also send periodic newsletters to all of our over 18,000 customers announcing the individual auction items. There is no Buyers Premium on any of the lots in the auction and almost every book will be listed without a reserve. Every book is CGC graded and the minimum bid is only $100.

There are already some incredible high grade Silver Age Marvels and DC's in the auction, which will also feature some brand new ultra high grade books we picked up at the recent Wizard World Philadelphia show in Philadelphia, PA. These books are at CGC right now awaiting certification and will be graded and uploaded in time for the auction. Here are just some of the initial auction consignments:

Action Comics 319 9.4
Action Comics 320 9.6
Adventure Comics 346 9.4
Amazing Spider-Man 30 9.8
Amazing Spider-Man 38 9.8
Amazing Spider-Man 39 9.4
Amazing Spider-Man 43 9.6
Amazing Spider-Man 49 9.6
Amazing Spider-Man 126 9.8
Avengers 4 9.4
Avengers 10 9.8
Avengers 16 9.6
Avengers 49 9.8
Avengers 51 9.6
Batman 227 9.8
Brave and the Bold 53 9.4
Daredevil 3 9.4
Daredevil 8 9.8
Detective Comics 408
Detective Comics 410
Doctor Strange 180 9.8
Fantastic Four 14 9.6 (Pacific Coast)
Fantastic Four 16 9.2
Fantastic Four 115 9.8
Fantastic Four 130 9.8
Flash 165 9.4
Flash 174 9.4
Giant-Size X-Men 1 9.8
Giant-Size X-Men 1 9.6
Green Lantern 33 9.4
Green Lantern 52 9.4
Green Lantern 85 9.8
Justice League of America 32 9.8
Showcase 22 8.0
Strange Tales 106
Superman 174 9.6
Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane 59 9.4
Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane 72 9.4
Tales of Suspense 69 9.6
Tales to Astonish 39 9.6
Tales to Astonish 50 9.6
Tales to Astonish 86 9.6
Thor 171 9.8
Thor Annual 4 9.8
Wonder Woman 156 9.4
Wonder Woman 160 9.4
Wonder Woman 200 9.4

We will continue to accept consignments for the auction until midnight on Thursday, July 12th, so check the site and read the following for consignment instructions and get your books in now.

Pedigree Comics CEO and President, Doug Schmell, invites you to take advantage of our many outstanding services. Consignors maximize their profits selling in the Grand Auction, more so than on any other auction site or auction house. We do not charge a buyers' premium, an amount that most bidders take into consideration when bidding in other sites (the bidders simply deduct the buyers' premium amount, usually 20% of the winning price, from their final bid, meaning less $$ to the consignor and more to the auction site). The higher the value of your book(s) that sell in a Grand Auction, the more $$ you take home under Pedigree Comics' Climbing Scale as follows:

• 10% Commission for any consigned item that sells up to $10,000
    (Consignor's Proceeds = $90% of the final bid price);
  • 9% Commission for any consigned item that sells over $10,000 and up to $25,000
    (Consignor's Proceeds = $91% of the final bid price);
  • 8% Commission for any consigned item that sells over $25,000 and up to $50,000
    (Consignor's Proceeds = $92% of the final bid price);
  • 6% Commission for any consigned item that sells over $50,000 and up to $100,000
    (Consignor's Proceeds = $94% of the final bid price);
  • 5% Commission for any consigned item that sells over $100,000
    (Consignor's Proceeds = $95% of the final bid price);
Pedigree Comics consistently sets new sales records for Golden Age, Silver Age and Bronze Age comic books and magazines in each of our bi-monthly auctions and we do not saturate the market with the same material each month. Grand Auctions are unique and exciting, with brand new CGC certified and diversified, highest quality material in each event. Why take home less $$ and settle for less by consigning with someone else?

There are three easy ways to consign your books to any of our upcoming Grand Auctions. The only criteria is that the books must be CGC graded and worth no less than $100.00. If you have high grade raw books that you want to have certified and sold in a Grand Auction, you can utilize Pedigree’s Raw To Riches Consignment Service, in which we will have your books certified under our account and will lay out all the CGC grading fees in advance for you (refer to the website for all the details of the Raw to Riches Consignment Service). Here is how to consign:
  1. Ship your books directly to our offices here in Wellington, Florida. We will inventory, scan and upload each book into the Grand Auction listing. The books will be listed under your personal account and you will receive email notification at the conclusion of the auction with a list of every consigned book that sold along with the winning bid made.
  2. Email the scans of the books you wish to consign directly to us at DougSchmell@pedigreecomics.com. We will format and upload each scan onto our server and then put each book into the Grand Auction listing. Please use a .jpeg format with the resolution set at 72 and the pixel width at 550 for optimal clarity.
  3. You can upload your own scans, item information, book descriptions and reserve amounts, if any, by utilizing our Automated Consignment System. Just login to the site (www.PedigreeComics.com), click the "Customer Page" tab under "Your Account" and then click "Consignments" (under the "Auctions" heading). You will then be able to enter the Pedigree Comics Consignment Management System and list your own CGC certified books and magazines. We will receive an email once you have uploaded the scan and book information for each individual item into the system and we will then review the information imparted for accuracy. The item(s) will then be added to the Grand Auction listing to be bid on. You will be amazed how simple it is to use the Automated Consignment System.
If you have any questions or comments about the consignment process, any of the auction lots or about the Grand Auction in general, please contact Pedigree Comics, Inc.'s CEO and President, Doug Schmell, at (561) 422-1120 (office) or (561) 596-9111 (mobile) or by email at DougSchmell@pedigreecomics.com. For any financial related and consignment payment questions, please contact Pedigree's CFO Lisa Shapiro at Lisa@pedigreecomics.com and for any technical related questions or concerns, please contact our Web Master at WebDesigner@pedigreecomics.com.

We thank you for your patronage and support and for making Pedigree Comics the #1 consignment and auction site for ultra high grade, top-rated CGC certified comic books and magazines. We look forward to doing business with you.

Sincerely,
Doug Schmell>
CE0/President Pedigree Comics, Inc.
mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi2.createsend5.com

I missed this post prior to posting the July 2012 PC GA information.

On 11/7/2022 at 11:00 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Are you saying someone else built Pedigree and he bought it out?  Or that he always had Pedigree but hadn't yet built the auction capability?

To my knowledge, Doug started PC. Of course, some posters may have more, perhaps far more, knowledge than I concerning PC.

It was Doug with, if I correctly recall, a "pitiful" (at least compared to the current point leader) 3 plus million points. I believe Barton/Ghost Town was second during that period (give or take, 2007-2012) - I don't recall if he was first at some point prior to that time.

On 11/8/2022 at 6:51 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

It was Doug with, if I correctly recall, a "pitiful" (at least compared to the current point leader) 3 plus million points. I believe Barton/Ghost Town was second during that period (give or take, 2007-2012) - I don't recall if he was first at some point prior to that time.

3 million would be enough for third place today.  One of the only two collections above that number belongs to a professional dealer.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:04 PM, Microchip said:

On 11/8/2022 at 3:51 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

On 11/8/2022 at 6:47 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

3 million would be enough for third place today.  One of the only two collections above that number belongs to a professional dealer.

To each their own, but are these so-called points really much of anything since there are probably a lot of HG collectors who either never bother to register their graded books or even keep them raw and haven't even graded and slabbed their books yet?  (shrug)

With respect to this points system, where would Brulato fit in since I thought at one time he was the one that supposedly had THE supremo HG early SA Marvel collection?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/9/2022 at 7:45 AM, lou_fine said:

To each their own, but are these so-called points really much of anything since there are probably a lot of HG collectors who either never bother to register their graded books or even keep them raw and haven't even graded and slabbed their books yet?  (shrug)

With respect to this points system, where would Brulato fit in since I thought at one time he was the one that supposedly had THE supremo HG early SA Marvel collection?  hm

That became apparent when Steve Filosa put his pedigree databases together.   Big chunks of major pedigree's were/still are unslabbed, and some were known to be owned by Brulato.

On 11/8/2022 at 3:00 PM, Microchip said:

That became apparent when Steve Filosa put his pedigree databases together.   Big chunks of major pedigree's were/still are unslabbed, and some were known to be owned by Brulato.

Don't really follow the high end SA market that closely, but doesn't Brulato already have all of his early Marvel keys certified, and all graded and slabbed during CGC's first year of operations right after they opened their doors?  hm

On 11/8/2022 at 5:45 PM, alexgross.com said:

heres my watch list from the heritage weekly auction that just ended yesterday. 

every single book on here is down either a little or a significant amount from the 12 month average, but remains well over the 2020 average. avengers 57 for example in 9.4 was a $2100 book in 2020. in this down market it sold for $3120. down from a peak of $3500 but well up over 2 years. ff52 was a $1580 book two years ago, now it's over 2k. 

i know alot of run books are down more than this, and modern stuff is dramatically down. but for silver age key and semi-key books like the ones i always watch and sometimes bid on, things are still far into the black over a 2 year timespan or longer. of course heritage may be rigged, but i'm seeing similar results on comiclink which is the other site i mainly use for bidding and watching. 

heritage-results.jpg

Glad to hear this!

On 11/8/2022 at 9:47 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Yes.

Of course, as we know, in the period since Doug, to continue using his former collection as an example, sold his Marvel Comics the point value of many comics, especially Marvel, increased substantially particularly, if memory serves, commencing about seven or eight year ago and lasting for perhaps 5 years. Granted, some comics in the last two or three years continue to see point increases although CGC may "level the playing field" in that respect.