• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2022 at 4:51 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Something to keep a eye on is the Sports cards  market is down 50 to 75 percent. Their bubble started to get hot six months before comic books. Modern basketball cards in particular have been dropping like no tomorrow. 

This is true and bears watching.

But without knowing the answer, I wonder how that breaks down into types of cards (or more specifically, the types of collectors in the market).  I would hypothesize that the "blue chip" end of the card market is holding up much better than the gimmicky end.  Anyone who has no patience for all the modern variants in the comics market (and I am one of those people) would be in danger of their head exploding in the card market.

On 11/4/2022 at 3:51 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Something to keep a eye on is the Sports cards  market is down 50 to 75 percent. Their bubble started to get hot six months before comic books. Modern basketball cards in particular have been dropping like no tomorrow. 

Except for Luka!

FCEF444E-AA90-442B-B70A-EA2E8EF4935E.jpeg

On 11/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, kimik said:
On 11/3/2022 at 12:26 PM, piper said:

I've also given up hope of ever owning a Hulk 1.

You can afford one. You just need to get over the idea of spending that much on one book............

hm

Here is the PSA10 profile for 1986 Fleer Jordan rookie.   This profile looks hauntingly similar to many comics (though the initial spike on this card was really crazy).     Seems to have flattened out with in the past 6 months bouncing around $190k-$210k.   

420048188_ScreenShot2022-11-04at5_07_05PM.thumb.png.069223eced7dcf150ba00524201f2468.png

On 11/4/2022 at 8:42 PM, DC# said:

Here is the PSA10 profile for 1986 Fleer Jordan rookie.   This profile looks hauntingly similar to many comics (though the initial spike on this card was really crazy).     Seems to have flattened out with in the past 6 months bouncing around $190k-$210k.   

420048188_ScreenShot2022-11-04at5_07_05PM.thumb.png.069223eced7dcf150ba00524201f2468.png

What this chart shows again is that entry point is key, specifically that you need to buy before the movie/tv show/The Last Dance is released. We see the same pattern with movie/tv hyped comics. That being said, the prices are settling out at roughly 100% higher than they were when Covid first hit, which most of us that have been collecting for a while will be happy to take.

On 11/4/2022 at 1:51 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Gotta be careful when drawing general conclusions. I've been in the sports card hobby for 30+ years. The sports card market is made up of many different arenas. Not all of them are falling 50 to 75%.

On 11/3/2022 at 5:51 AM, 1Cool said:

I'd be interested to see a similar chart for more common books but I think it's a waste of time since the chart will still look the same - seas of red.  Keys are at least still selling but I'm seeing a market where common books are taking a big trim in price just to get a chance at a sale.  All the data I'm seeing is saying the same thing so count yourself as lucky if you are experiencing something different.

Well, the one big positive to draw from this huge sea of red is that once CGC clears their 2021 and early 2022 backlog, this should take care of their egregious turnaround issues as a lot of submittors will hopefully stop sending in these readily available in HG money losing books.  (thumbsu

On 11/4/2022 at 4:51 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Something to keep a eye on is the Sports cards  market is down 50 to 75 percent. Their bubble started to get hot six months before comic books. Modern basketball cards in particular have been dropping like 

I'm assuming you just mean from the peak. If so, that means it's up 25% to 50% from pre-covid. Those are big gains.

On 11/5/2022 at 5:16 AM, Motor City Rob said:
On 11/4/2022 at 2:51 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Something to keep a eye on is the Sports cards  market is down 50 to 75 percent. Their bubble started to get hot six months before comic books. Modern basketball cards in particular have been dropping like 

I'm assuming you just mean from the peak. If so, that means it's up 25% to 50% from pre-covid. Those are big gains.

This is the point I was trying to make above. Almost all of the comics I have looked at recently to buy/sell are still up 50-100% from pre-Covid prices, and some are starting to stabilize and move up from the recent drop. If you bought a the peak last spring, it may take up to a decade for prices to reach those levels again. However, if you bought prior to mid 2020, you are enjoying the price gains.

On 11/5/2022 at 7:57 AM, kimik said:

This is the point I was trying to make above. Almost all of the comics I have looked at recently to buy/sell are still up 50-100% from pre-Covid prices, and some are starting to stabilize and move up from the recent drop. If you bought a the peak last spring, it may take up to a decade for prices to reach those levels again. However, if you bought prior to mid 2020, you are enjoying the price gains.

And some books might not ever re-peak.   I look at Eternals #1 9.8 as an example that might not ever reach its nearly $4k peak value again.   

On 11/5/2022 at 8:09 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

That book was BIN fodder forever, and so it shall become again 

Astonishing that it went that high.

On 11/5/2022 at 5:30 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

A few are gonna feel that sting for a while...:insane:

Anyone buying the book at even 1k was sheep ready to be fleeced, at 2k a total rube, 3k+ someone with far too many dollars than sense, and that being the case they probably don't even miss the dough.

"unlimited upward trajectory"  - if anyone ever tells you that not just on comics but anything run for the hills.

I'm a Kirby fan but IMHO his and every other version of the Eternal's was a boring uninteresting trudge through sludge labor to read and the film even more so to watch. I'll be happy if Feige never puts them or that lame-o Black Knight on anything again.  

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/5/2022 at 1:09 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 11/5/2022 at 12:59 PM, DC# said:

And some books might not ever re-peak.   I look at Eternals #1 9.8 as an example that might not ever reach its nearly $4k peak value again.   

That book was BIN fodder forever, and so it shall become again 

Totally agree with you since like most of the other so-called hot books on that CL tracking chart, far far too many uber HG copies in every single auction on all of the various auction platforms.  :tonofbricks:

But then how about a book like Eternals 13 with far fewer graded copies than Eeternals 1 , will that book ever get back to the $4,300 mark or whatever it was that some "lucky" bidder was able to win the book at a few years ago?  :devil:  :screwy: