• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,956 posts in this topic

On 11/13/2022 at 6:02 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Curse of the woods....cannabilism. Wendigo....if done right....could be awesome.   And the curse can be cast upon anyone, so maybe somehow a known character brings the curse upon themselves.

Don't think Trimpe Wendigo, think Byrne :cloud9:

1658276446_s-l1600(7).thumb.jpg.87e7833e9f24a8ab07386a19edfb3de4.jpg

Good point.

You’ll always win me over with classic John Byrne.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/3/2022 at 5:46 AM, namisgr said:

Seems like the present is a better time to be a buyer than the recent past, and a worse time to be a seller.  I still collect only a single Bronze Age niche with fewer than 350 issues in total, but within that limitation I've been buying lately and intend to continue to do so.

On 10/26/2022 at 9:36 AM, MAR1979 said:

As always my post does not refer or allude to Silver/Atomic/Gold - think I'll add that to my sig

Yes, based upon what I've been seeing in some of these recent auctions, it's quite clear to me that we have a rather bifurcated marketplace right now.  Especially in relationship to the Overstreet Price Guide, where the so-called relatively common speculative hot BA and CA books reminds me of past decades where I used to dreamed that I might one day be able to sell my books at Overstreet guide valuations.  And yet now on the other hand, I guess I still have to dream that I can buy GA books at Overstreet guide valuations (I so wish).  hm  :wishluck:

Perfect case in point would be this copy of the HTF Master Comics 27 with the classic Raboy "V For Victory" cover:  :luhv:  :takeit:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/master-comics-27-fawcett-publications-1942-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40212-82093.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Master Comics #27 (Fawcett Publications, 1942) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white to white pages....

Sold for a rather stunning $15,600 or 12.5X condition guide value in yesterday's Harlan Ellison Auction when we now frequently see some once red hot movie/TV hype related BA and CA books able to sell only at huge discounts to condition guide value given the huge increases that Overstreet gave to some of these books the past couple of years.  :whatthe:  :frown:

On 11/13/2022 at 5:19 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, based upon what I've been seeing in some of these recent auctions, it's quite clear to me that we have a rather bifurcated marketplace right now.  Especially in relationship to the Overstreet Price Guide, where the so-called relatively common speculative hot BA and CA books reminds me of past decades where I used to dreamed that I might one day be able to sell my books at Overstreet guide valuations.  And yet now on the other hand, I guess I still have to dream that I can buy GA books at Overstreet guide valuations (I so wish).  hm  :wishluck:

Perfect case in point would be this copy of the HTF Master Comics 27 with the classic Raboy "V For Victory" cover:  :luhv:  :takeit:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/master-comics-27-fawcett-publications-1942-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40212-82093.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Master Comics #27 (Fawcett Publications, 1942) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white to white pages....

Sold for a rather stunning $15,600 or 12.5X condition guide value in yesterday's Harlan Ellison Auction when we now frequently see some once red hot movie/TV hype related BA and CA books able to sell only at huge discounts to condition guide value given the huge increases that Overstreet gave to some of these books the past couple of years.  :whatthe:  :frown:

Seems that the broader comic investment market is finally catching on to classic Raboy covers.  Classic cover and notoriously tough in higher grade.

On 11/14/2022 at 11:24 AM, zosocane said:

Seems that the broader comic investment market is finally catching on to classic Raboy covers.  Classic cover and notoriously tough in higher grade.

They aren’t exactly easy even in lower grade. 

Collecting Marvels is mostly about being willing to spend the money.  Collecting Raboys is mainly about being able to find the books at all.

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February           .40% increase
February to March            2.05% increase
March to April                   4.07% decrease
April to May                      1.14% decrease
May to June                        .01% decrease
June to July                      1.83% decrease
July to August                   3.15% decrease
August to September        7.01% decrease
September to October      1.68% increase
October to November       2.01% increase

Next month I'll be able to share some % data based on 2022, 2021 vs. 2022, and my books with the biggest gains / losses in 2022.

On 11/14/2022 at 2:14 PM, troy.division said:

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February           .40% increase
February to March            2.05% increase
March to April                   4.07% decrease
April to May                      1.14% decrease
May to June                        .01% decrease
June to July                      1.83% decrease
July to August                   3.15% decrease
August to September        7.01% decrease
September to October      1.68% increase
October to November       2.01% increase

Next month I'll be able to share some % data based on 2022, 2021 vs. 2022, and my books with the biggest gains / losses in 2022.

What types of books do you have in your collection?

On 11/14/2022 at 5:13 PM, piper said:

What types of books do you have in your collection?

1 - Golden Age - 1 Uni
3 - Silver Age - 1 SS / 2 Uni
5 - Bronze Age - 2 SS / 3 Uni
15 - Copper Age - 11 SS / 4 Uni
25 - Modern Age - 24 SS / 1 Uni

edit:
There are copies of books in my collection that haven't had copies sold / been made available since I started tracking values in 2019.
That is the toughest part of determining value for insurance purposes.
Those values have carried over month after month, year after year.

Edited by troy.division

On 11/14/2022 at 9:29 AM, Hamlet said:
On 11/14/2022 at 9:24 AM, zosocane said:

Collecting Marvels is mostly about being willing to spend the money.  Collecting Raboys is mainly about being able to find the books at all.

With the internet and public comic book auctions nowadays, it's definitely much more about money and your willingness to spend it. :bigsmile:

In the old days, it was really a lot more to having the right connections and being on good enough terms with the dealers/sellers that they might contact you when they acquire a book or lucky enough if you just happened to call them before they list it for sale.  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/14/2022 at 9:29 AM, Hamlet said:
On 11/14/2022 at 9:24 AM, zosocane said:

I guess the CGCdata.com website would confirm this as this particular copy of Master Comics 27 was graded back on September 14th, with the previous half decent copy (i.e. CGC 4.0 or higher) being graded back in 2015.  (thumbsu

I guess it's always a case of to each their own, but I would much prefer spending my money on a truly HTF book that gets added to the census only once in the past 7 years.  Especially when compared to some of the much more recent so-called hot books selling for big money that are readily available in every single auction with new copies being added into the CGC population census on a daily basis, if not on an almost every other working hourly basis.  :p

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/16/2022 at 3:12 AM, lou_fine said:

I guess the CGCdata.com website would confirm this as this particular copy of Master Comics 27 was graded back on September 14th, with the previous half decent copy (i.e. CGC 4.0 or higher) being graded back in 2015.  (thumbsu

I guess it's always a case of to each their own, but I would much prefer spending my money on a truly HTF book that gets added to the census only once in the past 7 years.  Especially when compared to some of the much more recent so-called hot books selling for big money that are readily available in every single auction with new copies being added into the CGC population census on a daily basis, if not on an almost every other working hourly basis.  :p

We get it.  You don’t like the “hot books”.  You don’t have to point out their over supply with EVERY SINGLE POST.

On 11/13/2022 at 11:51 AM, djpinkpanther67 said:

I subbed two - both came back 9.8 🙂

That's awesome. Congrats on the sub AND the sale. Once upon a time I was trying to complete the set of 25h anniversary frames, but due to the rarity of books exactly like this, I gave up. Anyone who'd laugh at this sale clearly doesn't realize how hard this book is to find in grade, and how difficult and expensive it can be to complete this set. Price doesn't surprise me a bit.

On 11/16/2022 at 12:52 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

We get it.  You don’t like the “hot books”.

You would be incorrect here as I actually DO like these so-called "hot" books in and of themselves.  :luhv:

What I don't really care much for is the overblown speculative hype that takes place and the rather crazy unsustainable prices that results from this whenever there is even a whisper or tiny hint of some movie/TV or other media related story that surfaces about a character appearance.  :p

The only saving grace is that I already have most of these so-called "hot" books to start with, so don't personally mind going along for the ride since I got in at the start or bottom of the ride.  Just not so sure if it's financially safe for new buyers to be jumping on board this roller coaster ride when it already left the starting platform a long time ago or possibly at the top of ride right now.  hm (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/16/2022 at 5:32 PM, lou_fine said:

You would be incorrect here as I actually DO like these so-called "hot" books in and of themselves.  :luhv:

What I don't really care much for is the overblown speculative hype that takes place and the rather crazy unsustainable prices that results from this whenever there is even a whisper or tiny hint of some movie/TV or other media related story that surfaces about a character appearance.  :p

The only saving grace is that I already have most of these so-called "hot" books to start with, so don't personally mind going along for the ride since I got in at the start or bottom of the ride.  Just not so sure if it's financially safe for new buyers to be jumping on board this roller coaster ride when it already left the starting platform a long time ago or possibly at the top of ride right now.  (shrug)

I just find it odd.  As you’ve said, you own all these hot books already and bought them at cover price,etc. 

I could see your displeasure with the current market if you needed these books....but you don’t.   ???

On 11/16/2022 at 5:32 PM, lou_fine said:

The only saving grace is that I already have most of these so-called "hot" books to start with, so don't personally mind going along for the ride since I got in at the start or bottom of the ride.  Just not so sure if it's financially safe for new buyers to be jumping on board this roller coaster ride when it already left the starting platform a long time ago or possibly at the top of ride right now.  hm (shrug)

Well, what else would drive demand for a comic nowadays if not for other media?… You can make the, I don’t know… Serpent Society the big bad in the next big Marvel crossover event and no one would care but if there’s movie/TV buzz, hang on to your hats cuz the YouTubers and the Key Collectors will be all over it… 

On 11/16/2022 at 9:25 PM, dikran said:

Well, what else would drive demand for a comic nowadays if not for other media?… You can make the, I don’t know… Serpent Society the big bad in the next big Marvel crossover event and no one would care but if there’s movie/TV buzz, hang on to your hats cuz the YouTubers and the Key Collectors will be all over it… 

Agreed, but their numbers are thinning.  Also for many "followers" Comics will becomes sooooo very 2020/2021.  Expect less wild swings as we head into 2023 and the next few years beyond.

P.S. Yes, there will always be outliers I'm talking market in general.

Edited by MAR1979