• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,956 posts in this topic

On 11/11/2022 at 11:20 AM, lizards2 said:

Frank Miller will always be the guy who ruined Daredevil for me.

Funny, DD174 is what I got signed.  Also, I'll take back that back...I did send in a batch of different Gunslinger Spawn #1 cover's as I like the Gunslinger Spawn to get signed.  I think that is when I said to myself no more unless witnessed in person.  I forgot all about the Gunslinger Spawn signature's.  ...Now I'll try to forget about them.

On 11/11/2022 at 9:26 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 11/11/2022 at 9:20 AM, lizards2 said:

Frank Miller will always be the guy who ruined Daredevil for me.

You are a strange duck 

I had all the issues up to that point, and the twisting of the legend to dark and gritty, and adding all the BS just sucked donkey balls. Yuck.

On 11/11/2022 at 9:42 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

This is like saying that Byrne ruined the X-Men & Perez ruined the Teen Titans.

Pretty much.

On 11/11/2022 at 9:42 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

What next?  Robbins saved the Cap title?:insane:

Hadn't Kirby already ruined it? It was pretty much garbage after Kirby took it over.

On 11/11/2022 at 9:12 AM, musicmeta said:

The only yellow labels I want are the ones I actually witnessed the signature in person and sent the the signed book off to be graded.  

Totally agree with you and shouldn't BOTH parties (i.e. submittor and CGC) be there to witness the signing in order to have an truly verified and authenticated signed copy of a book?  hm

I guess it's all about the money as CGC is more than willing to have private signings where only they are there to witness the signing, and yet treat books that have been signed by the creators in a public event such as a comic con where the submittor is present and yet have those books treated as a writing defect to be downgraded when it comes to the final grade.  Especially when some of the so-called verified signed copies looks more like a veritable defaced shopping list than anything else.  :censored:

On 11/11/2022 at 8:43 AM, VintageComics said:

Those must have slipped under the radar somehow and are outliers. Things slip through the cracks all the time only to resurface later at much higher prices. It's how a some dealers procure inventory. 

There was a time when auctions were NOT the determination of FMV. This is a fairly recent phenomenon that's only been around just over a decade. Auctions are a contest between how many viewers an item has and a timeclock and sometimes the timeclock wins. 

Any dealer with half a brain and the pocketbook to do so would have bought those both all day long at those prices.

In fact, most dealers would have probably paid much more for them. I know I would have, had I seen them.

What probably happened is that people saw that these were sig series copies and anybody (like me) who is looking for a blue label copy would have ignored these copies.

Whoever bought these is going to double their money. 

I always like that the low prices are discounted as outliers.  Maybe they are the "real" prices when there is no market manipulation?

On 11/11/2022 at 3:01 PM, mjoeyoung said:

I always like that the low prices are discounted as outliers.  Maybe they are the "real" prices when there is no market manipulation?

Maybe if you had a better case, but in this case you're likely wrong. 

I didn't even see the sales on GPA because I don't have my Sig Series box checked on GPA. I had to check that box just now to see the recorded prices. That's how little attention I pay to Sig Series books. 

And they both sold on the same day, too?

From the same seller?

Within an hour of each other?

A seller with only 185 eBay feedback?

And a seller who has never sold anything expensive before?

And the bidding is private?

And neither buyer has left feedback for the purchases even though they were completed a month ago.

None of the above is weird to you? ???

Come on. These two examples are about as shady as can be. No wonder nobody serious bid on them. lol

This is not the type of example you want to build your case on. These auctions have everything going against them and nothing in their favor. 

Like I said, if I'd seen the books I'd have bought them at that price. Most dealers would probably have even paid 50% higher, or more than what they sold for. 

They obviously either went under the radar because MANY people completely ignore Sig Series books or nobody bid on them because the auctions looked shady as F***dge.

Likely both. 

Edited by VintageComics

I don't think yellow label books should be in the same conversation as blue label books.

I bid on enough high-grade books that I can honestly say I've set the market for certain books with my successful bids (and a few of my unsuccessful ones!) ... and I completely ignore yellow labels.  Well, almost always ignore.  When I see a yellow label on an otherwise beautiful high-grade example of a book with low census numbers, that really ticks me off.  Otherwise they are completely irrelevant to my collecting interest, and I give them no weight when determining what I'm willing to bid on a book.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 11/13/2022 at 9:21 AM, Brock said:

Yes, the Star books with the Marvel Anniversary border often do well in high grade. This one is known to be tough, and it’s a top of the census newsstand to boot…

Yup.  The newsstand factor took this copy to the moon

On 11/13/2022 at 9:42 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Yup.  The newsstand factor took this copy to the moon

I subbed two - both came back 9.8 🙂

On 11/11/2022 at 7:43 AM, VintageComics said:

Those must have slipped under the radar somehow and are outliers. Things slip through the cracks all the time only to resurface later at much higher prices. It's how a some dealers procure inventory. 

There was a time when auctions were NOT the determination of FMV. This is a fairly recent phenomenon that's only been around just over a decade. Auctions are a contest between how many viewers an item has and a timeclock and sometimes the timeclock wins. 

Any dealer with half a brain and the pocketbook to do so would have bought those both all day long at those prices.

In fact, most dealers would have probably paid much more for them. I know I would have, had I seen them.

What probably happened is that people saw that these were sig series copies and anybody (like me) who is looking for a blue label copy would have ignored these copies.

Whoever bought these is going to double their money. 

Building off the comments that auctions were not always the determination of FMV - and noting that there are still lots of sales both public and private that don't end up in GPA - at least the relative abundance and frequency of online sales, be they auction or BIN, provide a large enough sample and velocity of sales that one can feel pretty confident of where a book is sitting if making an offer online, at a LCS, or a show.    What I am seeing is more and more of a disconnect between BIN pricing on places like Clink Exchange, MySlabs, Shortboxed, and Ebay vs what is happening at auction and thus GPA values.   Instagram cosignors seem to be doing price checks more and more these days before accepting a book for consignment and even Shortboxed added a feature that is intended to show whether the asking price is good, OK, or high (green, yellow, red).  Before the listing goes up on Shortboxed sellers are aware if they are in or out of current FMV range.     I pretty much stopped browsing Shortboxed because the prices were just silly and sellers didn't seem to be updating for current conditions.   

I get that people are selling for different reasons and some people may be posting without a real desire to sell ("I would sell it if I got $X").   But here are some examples (apologies if this is from a forum contributor - no offense intended) - these two landed on Clink Exchange in the last few week - AF 15 3.0 with a BIN price of $65K and $75k.   The $65k the ask is 35% higher than the peak sale of this grade (Feb 2022) and 124% higher than the last sale in Oct ($28.8k).     The $75k ask is 56% higher than peak and 159% higher than last sale.     

You can't catch a fish if you don't have a line in the water so asking an above market price is not completely irrational since you may still generate offers that would be attractive to you.....but I don't believe these type of listings are good for the selling platform and over time may reduce the pool of potential buyers shopping the sites.   My usage of Shortboxed has definitely gone up with the new FMV designation on listings just because I feel it is preventing really dumb pricing from being published.   

I am not even sure where you would start a negotiation with the two AF15 sellers.....just living in different worlds.    You could probably get a 5.0 for $10k-$20k less than these.

And to be fair - all the AF15s listed on Clink Exchange are way out of range for GPA - I was just picking on these two because they are new and the sellers should be aware of current values.     

135484931_ScreenShot2022-11-13at9_08_17AM.thumb.png.a9b2535cfbb11ce9a2c9d8caa9c87e99.png448520262_ScreenShot2022-11-13at9_17_13AM.thumb.png.4b9d9a616c8f9e4121fc9abb80390449.png

Edited by DC#

On 11/9/2022 at 6:46 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

And I’m definitely one of those people who think Wendigo will show up when Hulk meets Wolvy in the MCU

Possible. The character’s already shown up in the Guardians of the Galaxy video game.  A bit feral and one-note, though.

On 11/13/2022 at 9:51 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Possible. The character’s already shown up in the Guardians of the Galaxy video game.  A bit feral and one-note, though.

Curse of the woods....cannabilism. Wendigo....if done right....could be awesome.   And the curse can be cast upon anyone, so maybe somehow a known character brings the curse upon themselves.

Don't think Trimpe Wendigo, think Byrne :cloud9:

1658276446_s-l1600(7).thumb.jpg.87e7833e9f24a8ab07386a19edfb3de4.jpg